Just completed my first Whole30 - 11.8 lbs and 1.75" lost!

Options
usafbeach
usafbeach Posts: 147 Member
Howdy!

I just completed my first Whole30 yesterday, and I am pretty blown away with the results. For those wondering, its similar to a Paleo diet focusing on avoiding foods that have a negative impact on your body (psychologically unhealthy, hormone-unbalancing, gut-disrupting, inflammatory food groups). When my wife first pitched the idea, I thought she lost her mind! Paleo, to heck with that!

After reading the Whole30 book ("It Starts With Food") I immediately changed my tune. The book actually made a lot of sense on why the program restricts certain food groups. After 30 days of avoiding things like added sugars, I've come to realize not only how prevalent that junk is but also how addicted I was/am to it. My sugar cravings, while not gone, have diminished to the point that they don't influence me like they used to. My wife baked 5 dozen cookies last night for our church. She's gluten intolerant, so she insisted I taste test them for her. I begrudgingly took one bite, told her they tasted great, and didn't feel the need to even eat the rest of the cookie. In the past, I would have probably begged her to make an extra dozen just for me.

I'm really, really pleased with my results. I feel better physically and psychologically, and I look forward to eating non-Whole30 compliant foods again. I'll just be a little more discerning about what I eat from now on.

For those numbers people looking for reference, in 30 days of eating Whole30 compliant foods and exercising not nearly as much as I should have (~1-2x/week), I went from 227.6lbs to 215.8lbs, and from a 41" waist to 39.25". I'm 6'0" for reference.

Replies

• teachmom32
    teachmom32 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I don't do Whole 30, but I do limit my added sugar to less than 25 grams a day. I still eat plenty of fruit and drink milk, so I get plenty of sugar. It's just not added because I'm not eating a lot of processed foods. I love eating this way and have lost nearly 18 pounds since January 1. I feel better. I look better, and I'm not craving sugar anymore. I've been to so many staff meetings lately with candy, donuts, and cookies sitting right there and I didn't even touch them! What a great feeling...to finally have a sense of control over my diet!

Great job to you, and good luck with your future weight loss!
  • usafbeach
    usafbeach Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    It wasn't until I started doing Whole30 that I even realized there is literally donuts, cakes or other assorted junk food brought into my office nearly each and every day. Not to mention the perpetually stocked candy bowls at several of the desks!
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Fantastic! I read the book as well and did a whole30 a few months ago and felt amazing. Then I went back to eating all foods, and I'm back to feeling like crap again. So, I will be doing another round and after I'm done will add foods abck in slowly until I figure out what it is that's not agreeing with me and sucking my energy out and causing AI attacks.

Glad you had such a good experience with it. :)
  • andrea9873
    andrea9873 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Such an amazing program. I just finished my first Whole30 and will be continuing for Whole45. I still have a pretty mean sugar dragon that wants to wake up. Congrats on the success.
  • suds416
    suds416 Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm getting ready to start my first Whole30. Any suggestions? Tips? :)
  • yopie1965
    yopie1965 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    My husband and I, along with a coworker are starting tomorrow.....it was suggested by a blogger that starting on Friday is a good idea, as the lack of sugar headache that comes within 48 hours is best to have while at home, not work.......I believe she called it the Charlie Sheen rant! LOL
    any suggestions, or sites to reference? is the book worth the investment ?

Joan
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!