30 Day Shred Logging Confusion

Options
For those who are doing 30 Day Shred...how are you logging the exercise? I don't see it in the MFP exercise database.

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I always used to log it as circuit training, and that matched up with my HRM's reading pretty well.
  • dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Circuit training but you might want to invest in a heart rate monitor.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Um ....HRMs are designed for steady state cardio......so not so accurate for circuit training

OP - calorie burns depend upon height, weight, age, gender, exertion level & more. MFP can't know how hard a workout was for you. This is why MFP doesn't use specific DVDs....there are thousands (anyway). Under cardio, just find the general category. Circuit training is a combination of cardio & strength training. MFP tends to be "generous."

HRMs (with a chest strap) ......measure electric impulses (heart rate) constantly....this is compared against your resting heart rate...this is used to approximate your exertion level.
  • Conquer14
    Conquer14 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I have a hear monitor and checked throughout the work. Found the average and used that to calculate my calories.
  • kuderstadt
    kuderstadt Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I log it as 27 minutes of Circuit Training - General. For my weight, it gives me 219 calories burned. i don't know if that's accurate or not, but I don't eat back my exercise calories anyways.
  • aprilh47
    aprilh47 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    1.11 x your weight in kilos is the most accurate information i found. but even thats very generic as it doesnt count for the varying of intensity in each level, so even this is just a guide.
  • aishmartin
    aishmartin Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Thanks, guys! Man, I feel completely useless. I couldn't get through more than 6 minutes of her workout. My arms feel like jelly and she hadn't even started to kick my butt yet. ::sad:: I know it'll get better, but it's still frustrating.
  • suzikay12
    suzikay12 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I log 30DS as 20 minutes of circuit training. Basically, I'm not counting the calories burned during the warm up and cool down. I have compared this to what people who are similar size to me get on their HRM and it's pretty close. I would rather under estimate my calorie burn than over estimate.
  • dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    Options

Um ....HRMs are designed for steady state cardio......so not so accurate for circuit training

OP - calorie burns depend upon height, weight, age, gender, exertion level & more. MFP can't know how hard a workout was for you. This is why MFP doesn't use specific DVDs....there are thousands (anyway). Under cardio, just find the general category. Circuit training is a combination of cardio & strength training. MFP tends to be "generous."

HRMs (with a chest strap) ......measure electric impulses (heart rate) constantly....this is compared against your resting heart rate...this is used to approximate your exertion level.

The HRM does give accurate results for this DVD since the majority of it is cardio with just a few minutes of strength training. I've compared the circuit training entry in the cardio section of MFP's database to the results I get from my HRM doing this video and it is fairly close.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

The HRM does give accurate results for this DVD since the majority of it is cardio with just a few minutes of strength training. I've compared the circuit training entry in the cardio section of MFP's database to the results I get from my HRM doing this video and it is fairly close.

Oh, Okay

Good for this DVD ....but not for others. I do one (not Jillian)..... not the same counts at all.