60g of sugar???

So, I have gained back 10lbs. The first time around I lost 40 lbs by doing the south beach diet. I recently came back to MFP to start tracking again and i noticed the sugar allowance has gone up to 60 g a day based on my current weight, and me wanting to lose a pound a week. It used to be about 33 g a day. I'm conflicted on how accurate is this as I'm very sugar conscious. Can anyone shed light on this. Also, it seems no matter how much I try to eat I am always under my daily calorie goal and over the protein limit. I would really appreciate any suggestions on how to up the calories while keeping the protein and carbs limited to my daily allowance. My diary is public. I'm 5'2 and 122 right now. Thanks!

Replies

• SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Unless you have a medical condition, ignore sugar. Protein should be treated as a minimum as MFP has a low default for protein. Find more calorie dense foods to increase calories, coconut oil, peanut butter, avacado, quinoa, etc. You don't have to eat diet foods. Balance your nutrition and fit things in you enjoy. That way, you can ease into maintenance and won't have to start all over.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    You are fine. Focus on the carb/fat/protein macros. Don't worry about sugar so much and definitely don't sweat sodium unless you are waaay over.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    The people telling you to "ignore sugar" are just plain WRONG. Except that you aren't really over-weight and in that case, barring other health issues (excess fat, depression, eating disorders, fibromyagia, fatigue, PCOS, cancer, diabetes... list goes on and on) that benefit from a lower sugar consumption, you might be ok with 60 grams. You do know that it's ok to eat under the goal, or even change your settings, right? In fact, I think MFP default macros are completely ludicrous, but it works for some people apparently.

I try to stay under 15 grams of sugar because that's what's healthy for me... good thing I don't listen to all the "ignore sugar" experts around here. It's really wonderful to have prevented diabetes instead of waiting until after I fully developed it to start paying attention to sugar. Not to mention all of the other health issues that I resolved by NOT ignoring sugar..... Prevention seems a more logical approach but that's just me.

Do what works for you. If you do fine eating more sugar, then so be it, if not, change it.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    The people telling you to "ignore sugar" are just plain WRONG. Except that you aren't really over-weight and in that case, barring other health issues (excess fat, depression, eating disorders, fibromyagia, fatigue, PCOS, cancer, diabetes... list goes on and on) that benefit from a lower sugar consumption, you might be ok with 60 grams. You do know that it's ok to eat under the goal, or even change your settings, right? In fact, I think MFP default macros are completely ludicrous, but it works for some people apparently.

I try to stay under 15 grams of sugar because that's what's healthy for me... good thing I don't listen to all the "ignore sugar" experts around here. It's really wonderful to have prevented diabetes instead of waiting until after I fully developed it to start paying attention to sugar. Not to mention all of the other health issues that I resolved by NOT ignoring sugar..... Prevention seems a more logical approach but that's just me.

Do what works for you. If you do fine eating more sugar, then so be it, if not, change it.

Fyi, you don't get diabetes from eating too much sugar. So who's wrong?
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    MFP recently changed their sugar measurement, which is why you see the change in amount. It still doesn't distinguish between added sugars and sugar found naturally in foods - I'm guessing when you count sugars you are looking at added sugars - which makes it essentially useless for your needs anyway. I personally swapped out the sugar and track fiber instead.