So hard to loose when...

Options
Hi all

I find it so hard to loose weight when your loved ones are eating junk food around u and have junk food in the house! My finacé loves to eat food. So do i but he likes his sweets and greasy foods!

I try not to eat them but it's so hard.....he cooks supper for me ( he works nites and i work days) and when he does cook it is usually a very nice healthy meal. But other times not so much, he tells me that i should be strong and not get tempted, i agree but it's hard. I will not ask him to change his diet for me i mean he should be able to eat whatever he wants he doesn't need to loose weight he is very active and need the extra calories his work is very demanding physically, he does support me and tells me as long as i try it is ok with him, he just doesn't want me to sit there and eat eat eat....As well as not exercise.

Anyone have any suggestions of what i can do, i have spoken to him many times he says it is up to me to change my lifestyle of eating. Not up to him to give up the foods he likes because i want to loose weight! He makes sense but how can i not be tempted when all the yummy food are in my face....Any suggestions?

Replies

• KarenBorter
    KarenBorter Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    there are many yummy low calorie snacks you can counter with. Skinny Cow makes a whole line of ice cream that is not only yummy but low in calories and carbs. Also, keep fruit in the house. When he goes for a candy bar, you reach for an apple. It IS hard to resist temptation when these things are in the house but truly, if you follow this plan and enter things in your diary you may be able to have 1 cookie or 1 snack size candy bar and stay within your calorie goals. All in moderation :) That's the key!
  • Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I do feel for you, I had the same problems. Lucky for me, I do not have to buy it much any more and what few I do keep in the house, I don't have a problem with wanting.

but put a candy bar near me and sorry, I can't help my self. LOL
  • Beebee78
    Options
    Here's the thing...in the past I would go on 'diets' and have to sit and watch my hubby eat whatever he liked whenever he liked and use my willpower to stay away.

Now this time around we said right let's overhaul the way we eat. It's not good for anyone to eat unhealthy foods all the time and junk food is just a no. We have children coming to live with us for good next year when we adopt and I want them to have a healthy start in life and not end up like me. So actually he has eaten the same dinners as me, followed this new way of eating and he likes it. Yes he has the odd snack or say we go to a friends for dinner he can eat whatever, but the main thing is we're doing this together - it's a lifestyle change because it's about being healthy and not just thin.

If you're hubby truly wont give up the junk then just find healthy alternatives like nuts/fruit etc to snack on and as hard as it is use your will power and the support you have here to get through it xxx
  • lynzyn
    lynzyn Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    The best part is about my finacé he works for a fruit and vegetable distribution company and we get all kinds of fruit and veggies, maybe i will ask him to bring some extra home! Thanks everyone!!!!
  • lynzyn
    Options
    I am gonna try it......I am gonna try really hard, i am starting this food diary and will continue to do so.....With everyone's help here should be ok!!!! THANKS
  • efalcon1
    Options
    That is tough, I am in the same position - daily temptation by my husband. It's the reason I put on so much weight in the first place! It's hard to be strong but look forward to the result you want. It's not fair that he expects you to resist everytime, him being a little more supportive might help - they can eat all the rubbish they want but don't have to do it in front of us! Stay strong and determined xx
  • dstroman
    Options
    Hi,
    What I have done to curb my greed to feed is cutting the unhealthly snacks from the shopping list all together. I know men may need more of this and that but in order to be a healthly home I don't bring the salty snack in. I choose to buy apples, bananas, peaches, low fat yogurt applesauce, low fat jello and other things that will keep me on track. If he wants another snack I him to make that purchase and my it out of sight or out of eye level when going into the pantry.
  • ppennington
    Options
    If you really want to lose the weight and not the boyfriend, I would suggest you spend some time cooking and freezing some meals that you know are healthy and approriate for you on your weight loss quest. Then when he prepares something you shouldn't eat, you could very sweetly tell him it looks wonderful but you are in the mood for ..............whatever. You could offer to freeze his leftovers, so he can enjoy them later without having to cook again.
  • lynzyn
    Options
    We usually eat a very nice dinner together he cooks a healthy meal 95% of the time other times not so much, i have substituted Ice cream with frozen yogurt he didn't mind! He loves his cookies and baked goods and such...He usually bakes them and brings them to work with him, but the other times like maybe 1-2 times a week will be naughty foods for supper and desert around me it isn't that bad but i am so tempted and usually cave in....But now it is time for a change....I have to try to be strong...More grabby stuff like fruits and veggies and nuts i am gonna buy more of that stuff....
  • lynzyn
    Options
    If you really want to lose the weight and not the boyfriend, I would suggest you spend some time cooking and freezing some meals that you know are healthy and approriate for you on your weight loss quest. Then when he prepares something you shouldn't eat, you could very sweetly tell him it looks wonderful but you are in the mood for ..............whatever. You could offer to freeze his leftovers, so he can enjoy them later without having to cook again.

hey that's a good idea thank you!!!!
  • DonnaMaas
    Options
    I like what was said about moderation. She is correct as long as you are logging in your food on a regular basis you should be able to splurge every now and than. Believe me I understand, my youngest daughter turned 21 last Wednesday and we had two parties for her and two cakes. I did have a small piece of the first one but none of the second one. But its still at my house and I think it mocks me everytime I walk by LOL!!! You can do this and we are here to support you.
  • azlady7
    azlady7 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Here's the thing...in the past I would go on 'diets' and have to sit and watch my hubby eat whatever he liked whenever he liked and use my willpower to stay away.

Now this time around we said right let's overhaul the way we eat. It's not good for anyone to eat unhealthy foods all the time and junk food is just a no. We have children coming to live with us for good next year when we adopt and I want them to have a healthy start in life and not end up like me. So actually he has eaten the same dinners as me, followed this new way of eating and he likes it. Yes he has the odd snack or say we go to a friends for dinner he can eat whatever, but the main thing is we're doing this together - it's a lifestyle change because it's about being healthy and not just thin.

If you're hubby truly wont give up the junk then just find healthy alternatives like nuts/fruit etc to snack on and as hard as it is use your will power and the support you have here to get through it xxx

I agree wholeheartedly!! My hubby has always been muscular and wonderfully thin. I on the other hand have always been huge. But my hubby and I sat down and decided to change our families types of foods to get healthy. Even thin and active people can be unhealthy inside. It will catch up someday. Our whole family eats like me now. My son has lost all his weight, my daughter has always been thin like her dad, but her energy and over all moods are better! Yes they have special snacks that I really could care less about eating (because it isnt fair to force them to not eat treats just because of me). And I know when they are at friends houses or going out to eat, they dont eat all that great. But over-all our 3 meals a day are healthy. Portion sizes are normal, and working out is a family thing now. Its not about whoever is fat has to suffer alone to be healthy. Its about us as a family wanting to live longer and happier together :)
  • redhotsmacker
    redhotsmacker Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Ok so this is gonna sound bad but, my hubby is the same way....usually what I end up doing is this....He goes for the junk food and I end up going for a cigarette. I figure atleast there are no calories in a smoke and it takes me outdoors where I don't have to see him stuffing his face. Then when I return back indoors he is usually done with his snacking and I don't have to watch him and be tempted. Yes, I know that smoking is bad, but for the moment I use it as a tool to avoid tempting situations. I have also used the excuse of having to go do some laundry or clean something just to leave the room.

But I think by far my favorite thing to do it workout in front of him while he is snacking. Kinda gives me empowerment over the junk and in the meantime gives me hope that he might realize that all of my hard work is paying off and maybe someday he will join in :)
  • tater8589
    Options
    I have the same problem. He could be a little more supportive and try not to eat the things that tempt you, in front of you. My husband is getting better, but our roomate is horrible. He brings pizza in and sets the box in front of me... grrr. Just wait, he's gonna find all those junk food boxes and bags in his bed, lol.
  • riverkit
    riverkit Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I agree with most of what everyone said here. I wanted to make a comment though. Don't completely remove junk from your diet. Don't eat it every day. But, if you don't let yourself have something junky every once and a while, you're really sabotaging yourself. You don't have to give up junk food. You just have to not eat it every day. (Like people wer saying about moderation).

You'll be great. No worries. :)
  • lynzyn
    Options
    My Hubby is doing his best not to eat crappy foods in front me in the past and now, but sometimes he does....When he does it is hard i am not going to ***** at him to go somewhere else it is kinda up to me to be strong....I will try to keep hand food near by...Apples carrots, nuts.....

it is the only way.....I must be strong, he does exercise with me tho which is good i mean when he can he does....
  • Beebee78
    Options
    Ok so this is gonna sound bad but, my hubby is the same way....usually what I end up doing is this....He goes for the junk food and I end up going for a cigarette. I figure atleast there are no calories in a smoke and it takes me outdoors where I don't have to see him stuffing his face. Then when I return back indoors he is usually done with his snacking and I don't have to watch him and be tempted. Yes, I know that smoking is bad, but for the moment I use it as a tool to avoid tempting situations. I have also used the excuse of having to go do some laundry or clean something just to leave the room.

But I think by far my favorite thing to do it workout in front of him while he is snacking. Kinda gives me empowerment over the junk and in the meantime gives me hope that he might realize that all of my hard work is paying off and maybe someday he will join in :)

I used to smoke and use it as an excuse not to eat stuff other people were having. Then both my friends lungs collapsed. I felt disgusted that I had these 2 normal lungs I was abusing and he had to struggle. He was a pro skater and now he struggles.

I quit almost a year ago - in fact I am 4 weeks off the year. I can exercise more and I now use this instead of smoking as a way to avoid temptation xxx
  • lynzyn
    Options
    Good for U bee....
  • bigred727
    Options
    theres lots of healthy foods out there that are tasty, and might even catch his hunger eye... insted of frying your meat and vegatables, steam them... theres lots of tricks that dont take all the flavor out of the food... check into it..
  • lynzyn
    Options
    i actually started boiling my meats....Vegies all kinds of goodies