a bean thread

Options
i really want to love beans, i'm just not sure i know how yet. so, tell me. what's your favorite way to do beans? i wanna hear it!

Replies

• elloradannon
    Options
    I love refried beans (fat free) on tortillas. Black beans are great with Quinoa (check out allrecipes.com quinoa with black beans and corn recipe. So delicious)
  • NikkiDerrig386
    NikkiDerrig386 Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    My mom makes this bean salad: Put kidney beans, and 3 others (forgot what they are called) in a big bowel and poor homemade Italian dressing and waaaala bean salad. It is so healthy and and tastes great. Home made dressing is olive oil, vinager, and a packet of italian seasoning.
  • messyhare
    messyhare Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I love making bean salads - a favorite is black eyed peas or black beans, I use fresh limes for the juice, cilantro, onions, tomatoes (sometimes if I'm lazy I will just use pico de gallo), jalapenos & mix it in with my beans. I serve it chilled, sometimes just put 1/2 a cup on top of my salads - its SO GOOD!
  • Raynedancer
    Raynedancer Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm...sounds great. This is something I want to be able to come back to :flowerforyou:
  • Tasha1476
    Options
    Ahh! I love love love beans. The easiest way that I LOVE is fat free re fried beans. I usually mix them with some part skim mozzarella cheese and jalepenos, but re fried beans mix super easy with anything, and are great to eat alone or especially in a tortilla shell!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I LOVE beans - I eat them almost every day. I buy canned beans because I don't want to take the time to cook them myself, but I only buy the no-salt added cans - black,garbanzo, pinto, kidney - sometimes others. I also buy Lentils in the bag (dry) and cook them myself (since you don't have to soak them).

Some of my favorite ways to eat them:

-In salad (great way to add healthy calories and fiber!)
    -In soup (I had a yummy veggie & pinto bean soup the other day)
    -plain with pepper
    -black beans mixed with pico de gallo (simple and soooooooo easy!)
    -Homemade hummus (main ingredient is garbanzo beans)
    -Homemade veggie burgers made with beans
    -Black bean brownies (I kid you not - they are amazing!)
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    mmm love me some beans! :love: I buy them in bulk from a co-op and rinse, soak, rinse, repeat and cook (rinsing and changing the water out a couple time releases the properties that cause gas, so that's an even better reason to give the homemade ones a shot if you deal with that issue, or if that's what keeps you from eating beans).

Sooooo low cost buying them dry, so delicious making your own, no sodium issues that way and you can cook them how you like (less than 45 minutes on the stove to make a nice pot of them!). Lid on for more tender, lid off for more chewy (haha you probably know what I mean, more texture).

Black beans are my all time favorite, I cook them up and use them in any number of ways. I might eat them plain with abit of Salsa on top, or a bit of shredded cheese another time, in a homemade corn tortilla (also soooo easy to make at home) wrapped up for any meal. You can mash them and make them more the refried bean texture.......the sky is the limit with beans, beans, beans..:love:

Not to mention soups, stews, etc. others will surely mention:drinker:

What's nice about beans is they are considered a protein/carb and being considered a carb they are a very slow acting carb so they don't bring blood sugars up quickly like other carbs might. A very very healthy food!

Enjoy!:flowerforyou:
  • am_lowe
    am_lowe Posts: 113
    Options
    thanks guys! refried beans are about the only bean i eat at the moment. bean salad sounds good, soup too. now i need to find some recipes... keep the ideas coming! =)
  • elloradannon
    Options
    I just thought of something else that I do... take a can of garbanzo beans, rinse, and cook in skillet with a little melted butter and olive oil. Cook until brown and crunchy Season with soy sauce and ginger for Asian style, or cumin and chilli powder for Mexican style... and my favorite sprinkle with garlic sea salt. FYI- kids also LOVE these, mine do atleast!
  • queenmedusa
    queenmedusa Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I put beans in just about anything!

Chickpeas/garbanzo beans go great in salads
    Most kinds of beans go great in fajitas or chillis
    Lentils are the main ingredient of daal - a low fat but delicious style of curry
    Beans and rice!

I'll try to bump this up with some recipes tomorrow x
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    The recipe below is one another MFP member shared sometime back.

Roasted Garbanzo Beans (Chickpeas)

2 15 oz. cans garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed well (or buy dry and soak/cook your own)

**This is a great snack when I'm craving something like chips or French fries!

1 Tbsp. cayenne pepper ( I use a different spice every time... so far my favorite is garlic salt)
    2 Tbsp. olive oil
    sea salt or kosher salt to taste

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Toss chick peas with cayenne pepper and olive oil. Spread out in a single layer on a nonstick jelly roll pan.

Place on the center rack of the oven and roast 40-50 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes or so.

The chickpeas are done when they are browned and taste crispy. If they're still soft in the center, continue roasting in 5-minute increments until done. Sprinkle with sea salt and serve immediately.

Serves 6-8.
    Per serving (based on 6): 208 calories, 6 g fat (1 g saturated), 0 mg cholesterol, 32 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 7 g protein, 3% Vitamin A, 9% Vitamin C, 5% calcium, 11% iron

Oh I also love to add Garbanzo Beans in salads too :)
  • am_lowe
    am_lowe Posts: 113
    Options
    thank you for posting!! roasted garbanzo beans sound soooo good. especially as it's starting to turn cooler... i can't wait to try!
  • umfan85
    umfan85 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    The recipe below is one another MFP member shared sometime back.

Roasted Garbanzo Beans (Chickpeas)

2 15 oz. cans garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed well (or buy dry and soak/cook your own)

**This is a great snack when I'm craving something like chips or French fries!

1 Tbsp. cayenne pepper ( I use a different spice every time... so far my favorite is garlic salt)
    2 Tbsp. olive oil
    sea salt or kosher salt to taste

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Toss chick peas with cayenne pepper and olive oil. Spread out in a single layer on a nonstick jelly roll pan.

Place on the center rack of the oven and roast 40-50 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes or so.

The chickpeas are done when they are browned and taste crispy. If they're still soft in the center, continue roasting in 5-minute increments until done. Sprinkle with sea salt and serve immediately.

Serves 6-8.
    Per serving (based on 6): 208 calories, 6 g fat (1 g saturated), 0 mg cholesterol, 32 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 7 g protein, 3% Vitamin A, 9% Vitamin C, 5% calcium, 11% iron

Oh I also love to add Garbanzo Beans in salads too :)

This sounds SO good. I am always looking for new bean recipes or ways to eat them!