All Inclusive Tropical Resort Coping Tips?

Options

Replies

• sargessexyone
    sargessexyone Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I just got back from Punta Cana...my tips enjoy yourself...drink up all you want of what you want and don't sweat it.

I will admit I gained 4lbs...but it was gone in just over 2 weeks...

enjoy yourself please...that is what it is about.

It doesn't diminish your motivation or momentum...well it didn't mine...makes me want to go again next year and look even better in my bikini...so more motivation.

This. A trip like that is taken so you can relax and enjoy yourself. Do not worry about anything but having a good time with the person going with you. Eat drink and be merry!!
  • Natmarie73
    Natmarie73 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you will need a chaperone to keep you on the straight and narrow and it so happens I'm available on those dates!

Seriously though, you have proven to yourself that you can do it so relax a little and enjoy your holiday, eat all the nice foods and have some cocktails but like a previous person said, don't waste the calories on food you can get at home or on food you are not enjoying just because its there and its free. Save your calories for the really nice foods you might not have the chance of trying again.

And yes, go for long walks on the beach, swim, snorkel and dance into the wee hours to burn it all off :drinker:
  • loriq41
    loriq41 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Just be active, eat the foods you really want and ENJOY! I am not financially able to take this kind of trip so feel blessed and have a blast!
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Go enjoy yourself and get back to it when you return home.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    I think someone wanted to brag.
    I can't blame you. :bigsmile:

Walk daily and make up for errors when you return.
  • trybefan
    trybefan Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    ENJOY!! You will probably regret NOT indulging in the local food and drink more than the few lbs you may gain. Vacations are for taking a break.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I went to Cuba a month ago.

My tips: eat and drink what you want, I came back the same weight (a lot of the food isn't that great, some of it is, just don't go crazy) In fact all of none of us gained.

Bring a Large mug to have your drinks filled up, its much better then the little teeny tiny plastic ones they give you. hey its even environmentally friendly. We had some 1 litre mugs that we would either fill up with water before hitting the beach or with a mojito that would last us till lunch

Lots and lots of sunscreen, I got burnt my last morning, it was not fun.

If you have time go to the doctor and get a prescription for stomach bug pills. They may not be needed, but they work wonders. 3 out of 12 of us got a stomach bug, I was one of them.

Try a mojito with dark rum. Tasty

If they have it ask at the bar for a 'Disco" or crème de la disco. Its like baileys but better.

enjoy yourself and enjoy the sun.

these are all good tips too...

I will add a few more...don't take spray sunscreen you go through it too fast...

x10 on the refillable cup you get more that way too...

try a bahama mama...AMG

Take tums or rolaids...our resort didn't sell them...helps on the rum dum days...ask my husband

and some imodium too and be proactive with it...
  • CampbellTony
    CampbellTony Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have the same predicament in August, My wife, daughter and myself are going to the Constance Moofushi resort in the Maldives. How will we survive :ohwell: I'l tell you how we'll survive. REALLY WELL!!! Lots of opportunities to be active outdoors, lots of fresh fish and fruit (not forgetting the odd drink or six). We wont cope, we'll have a blast. If we all put on weight, we'll lose it again, no issues there. Enjoy your time away and do absolutedly everything that pleases you.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    The food isn't as good at the resorts in Cuba as elsewhere in the Caribbean. Even at 5-stars it can be kind of bland and boring (probably thanks to trade restrictions and such.) It's a lot easier to eat moderately with lots of fruit and vegetables in Cuba than elsewhere because stuff doesn't taste as good, haha.

Alternate alcohol with water, try some of the beach activities, and don't get too hung up on the calories.
  • Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    As many others have said--- go have fun!! Eat, drink, be merry! But there is no reason you cannot be mindful while you do that--- eat within the context of hunger/fullness, choose protein/veg first, and if you don't mind skipping something fattening, then just skip it-- but don't "diet" while you are on vacation--- just relax and enjoy!!!
  • ZaftigLor
    ZaftigLor Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for those amazing responses. Lots of good tips and advice - I really appreciate it.
    MFP rocks.
    ;-)
  • Binky_Muffin
    Binky_Muffin Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I was in Cuba in February and had a fabulous time. People will say the food isn't that great, but I thought it was good compared to Mexico and Dominican Republic. In addition, I've never gotten sick in Cuba. Mexico and DR are a totally different story. LOL.

Cuba will have a great variety of poultry and sea foods. Stay away from the beef. It's not that great. The pork is good.

There will be a good variety of foods. The breads are AWESOME!!!!

The biggest reason why you shouldn't overeat is so you don't get a dodgy belly.

Have a good time!
  • Beet_Girl
    Beet_Girl Posts: 102
    Options
    I used to be one of those "just enjoy yourself! it's vacation!" types of people.

But really, if we did that every time there was a holiday, event, vacation, it would add up. That's what happened to me. I gained about 15 pounds this fall, and I ate right and worked out most days. However, there was Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, friends birthdays, office celebrations...and if you are not just a little careful, it will add up.

With that said, I would try to limit the "no holds barred" to maybe a few meals over the course of your time there. Also, if you don't want to worry about tracking and all that, just make sure to have a lot of water and maybe a salad before a meal. And then stop when you are full. Then you can take a vacation from calorie counting and just enjoy the food without overdoing it.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    eat, drink, and have fun ..

I assume they have a gym at this resort? If yes, then try to get a few workouts out in ..but overall just enjoy yourself….
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I used to be one of those "just enjoy yourself! it's vacation!" types of people.

But really, if we did that every time there was a holiday, event, vacation, it would add up. That's what happened to me. I gained about 15 pounds this fall, and I ate right and worked out most days. However, there was Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, friends birthdays, office celebrations...and if you are not just a little careful, it will add up.

With that said, I would try to limit the "no holds barred" to maybe a few meals over the course of your time there. Also, if you don't want to worry about tracking and all that, just make sure to have a lot of water and maybe a salad before a meal. And then stop when you are full. Then you can take a vacation from calorie counting and just enjoy the food without overdoing it.

so you consumed almost 50,000 additional calories on just these "special days"….
  • Beet_Girl
    Beet_Girl Posts: 102
    Options

so you consumed almost 50,000 additional calories on just these "special days"….

Sounds about right! I did the no holding back, stuff my face approach. Because I thought of any birthday, office celebration, ect. as a special occasion and told myself I eat right most of the time...

I know everyone is different. I was at a pretty low weight starting out and was at maintenance. Part of the reason it wasn't coming off was because I was never eating at a deficit to make up for it. But still, everything you put in, you got to work off or diet off later. And since I'm not overweight, I don't burn so many calories at the gym, so its dieting hell.
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I know this is easier for me to say now that I'm in maintenance (and wanting to gain a bit) after I was strict while losing, but just go and enjoy yourself. Definitely be active for fun, but also eat, drink, and be merry. Honestly, while losing, I wouldn't have planned to go on such a trip, but if one came up for some reason, I think I would have just taken a break (...maybe--again, easy to say now). I think the key will be to have a plan for upon return. For me, indulging for 10 days could put me on a bad streak afterward; so if you're ready for getting back on track, it may help.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Sounds about right! I did the no holding back, stuff my face approach. Because I thought of it as a special occasion, and told myself I eat right most of the time...

We jsut had the same thing happen plus I had a 8 day all inclusive vacation...through all of that and eating everything I wanted I gained a total of 1.5lbs over Christmas and 4 over vacation...all of which was gone within week(s) of getting back on track...

Gaining 15lbs in 3months is a lot more than just halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas....
  • ndj1979
    Options

Sounds about right! I did the no holding back, stuff my face approach. Because I thought of it as a special occasion, and told myself I eat right most of the time...

We jsut had the same thing happen plus I had a 8 day all inclusive vacation...through all of that and eating everything I wanted I gained a total of 1.5lbs over Christmas and 4 over vacation...all of which was gone within week(s) of getting back on track...

Gaining 15lbs in 3months is a lot more than just halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas....

I was thinking the same thing ..

I absolutely blew out on Thanksgiving almost 4000 calories of what I logged maybe more than that ..I also destroyed Christmas and new years and I may have gained two pounds…I also started my bulk in November….coincidently :)
  • ALNoog
    ALNoog Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    We went to St Croix in August for our honeymoon and I wanted to eat all the local food that I can't get here and must have fun and relax and enjoy little umbrella drinks by the pool... So I did :) I'd say relax and enjoy yourself. Do as much physical activity as you want but it's a vacation.... Enjoy it and relax :)

All you do when you get home is just get back on track... We went on a mini vacation a couple of weekends ago and I was In a panic about what I was going to eat to the point I was so stressed I didn't even want to go.... But decided the day of to just go and relax and enjoy the food and get back on track as soon as I get home.. And that is what I did and I had a BLAST!