Mexican food

Options
mfregos2
mfregos2 Posts: 10 Member
I love my mom traditional Mexican food. Is there any recipes that can make the dishes healthier? I will appreciate any suggestions.

Replies

• Nanba007
    Nanba007 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    We had chicken tacos tonight and used lettuce for out shell. Sure cut down on the calories and carbs by not using a shell.
  • cariorliz
    cariorliz Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    chicken & steak fajitas, use lettuce wraps as the tortillas....

make a salad with chicken or steak.... a great dressing is mixing greek yogurt & salsa together....crush two or three tortilla chips if you need that extra crunch...
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Drain all the fat from meat and replace half of the meat with beans. Double the veggies. Don't fry tortillas or chips. Bake them in the oven. I know it says e's fat but I don't use low fat anything. I think it's a chemical chit storm.
  • sararay509
    sararay509 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Baja Pork Tacos Recipe

1 boneless pork sirloin roast (3-4 pounds) (remove all fat)
    5 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
    2 tablespoons reduced-sodium taco seasoning
    1 tablespoon ground cumin

Cut roast in half; place in a 3- or 4-qt. slow cooker. In a small bowl, combine the chilies, taco seasoning and cumin; pour over pork. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat is tender.
    Remove pork; cool slightly. Skim fat from cooking juices. Shred meat with two forks; return to the slow cooker and heat through.

This recipe is OUTSTANDING. I take my corn tortillas and spray with a little PAM then bake in the oven to make tostadas, or just cook corn tortillas on stove top to make tacos. Soooooo good, filling and relatively low calorie. Less than 200 calories per taco with all the fixings.