Gym's diet plan and ED

I'm following a 12 week challenge at my gym that comes with a diet plan. The idea of the challenge is to score as many points as possible to win the competition. For example attending a group fitness class is 25 points and for each kilo (2.2lbs) of weight lost you get 100 points. At the moment I am in week 2.

Each week I have to see a "food coach" at the gym to get weighed in and have my food diary evaluated. Sticking to the diet is a condition of the competition and you have to demonstrate that you are following the plan.

My concern is the diet plan is only 5000kj a day (1194 calories). We do not get to eat back exercise calories. I am doing heaps of exercise: usually 2 group fitness classes a day and my own half an hour cardio workout. In addition I walk an hr to get to the gym and back twice a day.

I have raised my concern about the low calorie limit with the food coach but I have been told to stick with it anyway.

I have a history of an eating disorders and while I am currently not clinically diagnosed with an ED and am supposedly in recovery I am finding the restrictive diet plan and the competition element of the challenge are causing me to become really obsessed with my diet and exercise.

I feel this is very unsafe but I don't know what to do. I am still seeing a psychologist but while I am a healthy weight there is not much my treating team will do. I could really use some support and advice of how to raise my concern with the gym and how to take control of the situation before it becomes a serious issue again. I'm very conflicted. A part of me still wants to listen to the ED but I also don't want to go back there.

Replies

• FFfitgirl
    FFfitgirl Posts: 369 Member
    Eat more!! With all that exercise you could eat double that

If you don't feel right about it, quit!!