Stronger After Months Off??

Options
I wasn't training or working out consistently for... months. Previously when I was really in the groove, I was using 25lb dumbbells for bicep curls doing 8-10 reps. I could do 30s, but usually only 3 or 4 reps max. (Yes, I'm short and skinny. Someday I'll lift more tongue )

But the question is this:

I've just gotten back on the wagon, and I picked up some 30s tonight just for funsies, and did 10 reps without even struggling too badly. I'm not complaining, but I'm curious if anyone out there more knowledgeable than me could explain the increase in strength even after months away from any consistent training and no significant weight gain.

Replies

• cwsreddy
    cwsreddy Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Bump. No ideas from those with more knowledge in the physiology of all this? C'mon now.
  • minuz5
    minuz5 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    the power is upon you!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    people getting rest is one of the number one issues for failure to move on- if you haven't really been working- you've probably had a chance to rest.

And let's be honest- 5 lbs on each arm when you are fresh just isn't that big of a jump.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Taking a bit of time from lifting, can help you when you get back in the gym....

I have felt that way before....so enjoy it.
  • threshkreen
    threshkreen Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Some days, weight seems horribly heavy and some days it seems to be no issue. I cannot explain the physiology but can just give an observation from experience. First there is over training....taking yourself to the gym and forcing yourself to failure every day can work against you. When you see weights lifted fall or not progress, the best idea is to take a break.

I know my son just told me that due to his school schedule and that his school only has one always packed gym for students, he didn't go and work out for a month. He said he felt better for it. He tends to stress way too much over how he should eat when working out so I am sure that the relief of that stress played a part in it. I always take him to share my training session when he is home on break and he hadn't lost any strength to speak of last time we went together (about two weeks ago).

So...eat well, time your eating properly and don't work out the same muscles all the time. I think if you begin a balanced and well constructed program plus eat appropriately for lifting, you should see progress. Congrats in the increase!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I remember reading an article that said you can take upwards of 2-3 weeks off or something and not lose significant strength. Now-I haven't had that- when I don't lift for 10 days I come back feeling weak as hell.

BUT- I remember I took a sebatacle from dance- and it was like 6 months of no offical dance class- I came back to it in a much better place- my skill level was significantly better.

resting + mental makes a big impact on lifting!
  • OverDoIt
    OverDoIt Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    about every 8 weeks or so I take a week off. If your joints are giving you any problems then it is time to take a needed rest. People often forget that when we lift heavy that we are taxing our nervous system to the max also. When you lift and see stars and want to puke then you are lifting heavy. Overtraining is very real but differs from one person to the next. Listen to your body