Cellulite

Options
Flabby unshapely cellulite thighs
Please let me know if any of you women have/had this problem and what you did to improve and/or actually change it. Despite my exercise routine which includes cardio, squats, lunges, deadlifts and healthy eating habits, this has been my most difficult and challenging problem. HELP

Replies

• allana1111
    allana1111 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I lift weights and do cardio, low calorie diet as well... (I'm also 125 so I don't have it really bad) but yesterday I started red light therapy which is supposed to help quite a bit. Obviously you still have to exercise, but i'll let you know if I start seeing a difference with red light :)
  • neutralmilkhotel83
    Options
    I noticed that you're in your fifties. Its also important to remember that as the body ages, our ability to produce collagen drops dramatically. What you might be seeing isn't as much cellulite as it is the impact of the reduced elasticity of the skin.

That said, your best bet for eliminating cellulite is to really focus on body composition. I like most of Allana's suggestions, focus on strength training and definitely amp up the cardio. The higher your muscle-fat ratio, the better your skin will look.

Most therapies (red light, microwave, topical creams, etc.) yield only temporary results and really won't give you long term benefits... you'll just have the same fat deposits develop over time that you had before because... well, that's how the body works.

Finally, remember that cellulite is part of how the body is especially as we age. As long as you're healthy (eating well, working out, etc.), perseverating over something entirely cosmetic will do more harm than good.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I have greatly reduced the cellulite on my thighs since I got back on the wagon in January. How your body stores fat is genetic, but fat loss of any type will help to reduce your cellulite.

I am eating at a deficit and do 6 workouts a week, 3 sessions HIIT cardio (usually on an elliptical, but occasionally on a stationary bike because too much elliptical hurts my hips) and 3 sessions strength training/bodyweight exercise.

In January my thighs had the texture of a garbage bag full of cornflakes and now they are smoother. I still have 20ish lbs to go.
  • allana1111
    allana1111 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I noticed that you're in your fifties. Its also important to remember that as the body ages, our ability to produce collagen drops dramatically. What you might be seeing isn't as much cellulite as it is the impact of the reduced elasticity of the skin.

That said, your best bet for eliminating cellulite is to really focus on body composition. I like most of Allana's suggestions, focus on strength training and definitely amp up the cardio. The higher your muscle-fat ratio, the better your skin will look.

Most therapies (red light, microwave, topical creams, etc.) yield only temporary results and really won't give you long term benefits... you'll just have the same fat deposits develop over time that you had before because... well, that's how the body works.

Finally, remember that cellulite is part of how the body is especially as we age. As long as you're healthy (eating well, working out, etc.), perseverating over something entirely cosmetic will do more harm than good.

Right I agree... I'm not going to red light as a permanent solution but rather for short term honeymoon goal
  • jadejo63
    jadejo63 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    not sure if itll help but ive been going on an exercise bike every day and when i do a hard level as if im going uphill the back of my thighs really hurt so im hoping its going to tone me up lol x