Quest Bars

Options
I have been eating Quest bars for a while now as an afternoon snack and I love them! Really tasty and they fill me up. However I am struggling to lose weight and a dietitian recommended I cut them out as they are 50% fat. Is that correct? I didn't think so from looking at the nutrition panel, but maybe I'm reading it wrong?

Replies

• BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    Maybe close to 50% of the calories are fat?

Regardless, I don't think you would need to cut them out if you are hitting your fat goal overall for the day. I mean, it's not like everything that I put in my mouth has to be perfectly balanced, I just have to pay attention to balance out my day overall. I don't know your dietician's credentials, but I don't think I would pay attention to this particular recommendation without some more context.
  • asiantaye
    asiantaye Posts: 26
    Options
    I love them. I have been eating them for a snack in the afternoon, or as a desert. They are really good, however if you don't work out, they could add weight to you. If you are just eating them and not working out, because of the protein in them, it could add punds. Im not a pro, however this is what i was told. My weight loss has been consistant since I have added them to my diet plan.
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    I love them. I have been eating them for a snack in the afternoon, or as a desert. They are really good, however if you don't work out, they could add weight to you. If you are just eating them and not working out, because of the protein in them, it could add punds. Im not a pro, however this is what i was told. My weight loss has been consistant since I have added them to my diet plan.

I respectfully disagree with this. A quest bar will not add weight to you because of the protein in it. If you are hitting your calorie goal overall for the day, it does not matter whether part of the calories came from a quest bar or not.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I have been eating Quest bars for a while now as an afternoon snack and I love them! Really tasty and they fill me up. However I am struggling to lose weight and a dietitian recommended I cut them out as they are 50% fat. Is that correct? I didn't think so from looking at the nutrition panel, but maybe I'm reading it wrong?

if they are preventing you from being in a calorie deficit, then yes cut them out, or find something else that you are eating and cut that out so that you are in a deficit….

calorie deficit, not type of food, = weight loss
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    The Quest bars aren't stopping your loss, if you aren't losing, you aren't in a calorie deficit. Simple. That can be caused from overeating anything. I love my quest bars♡ Also, there's nothing wrong with fat or any macro add long as there's balance.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I'm looking at the wrapper for a Chocolate Brownie Quest bar - there is 6g fat, 50 calories out of 170 (I generally thought that there were 9 calories per fat gram, but close enough I guess), or around 30%. Depending uponyour macros allowance (I usually have about 25% of my calories from fat per day, give or take), 30% fat for a protein bar doesn't seem excessive to me.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Time to look at your calorie goals.
    The quest bars are not the problem.....
  • Thunderfan66
    Thunderfan66 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. Personally I agree that as long as I am hitting the correct amount of calories per day, the actual Quest bar shouldn't be the problem. I actually asked the dietitian why the fat would be a problem in terms of weight loss, surely only the calories matter? She said the amount of fat was not healthy. I don't want to give them up, I love them, but I will try having a differnt kind of snack and see if it changes anything. If not, I'm back on them!

I do think my calorie intake is OK, here's a sample day:

Breakfast - 2 scrambled eggs, 100ml milk, 1 grilled tomato and 5 grilled mushrooms (approx 275 cal)
    Snack - 50g hummus and carrot/capsicum sticks (approx 100 cal)
    Lunch - chicken and salad (approx 200 cal)
    Snack - Quest bar (approx 170 cal)
    Tea - 100g meat and 300g vegies (approx 300 cal)
    Snack - 170g Yoghurt (approx 140 cal)

That's 1185 cal, plus I have milk in my tea (approx 6 cups), plus I have 2 low cal hot chocolates (approx 40-50 cal each). I exercise every day but not extreme exercise - usually a dance class, or a yoga class, or a half hour jog. So it seems pretty good to me and even the dietitian said she was nitpicking, but trying to find something to change to help with losing weight.