Need help with calories net?

tmaksparkie
tmaksparkie Posts: 279
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
My calories are set for 1200 a day so when I put my exercise calories burned in it gives me my net calories. My question is should this number not be below 1200 for net calories? I go to the gym 3 days a week so on those days is it ok to be below 1200 for net calories or should I eat more on those days to have them at a consistent 1200 cals. Thanks I am a little new to this site so thanks you.

Replies

• Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    That is different, that is more a goal for you. the 1200 is for your normal intate, as you add your work outs for the day, then your cals will go up that you can have for the day.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,725 Member
    Net calories are equal to calories consumed minus exercise calories so you would want to eat your exercise calories back ESPECIALLY if your calorie goal is only at 1200.
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Typically for females you should eat 1200 net cals. So if you burn 200 through exercise you should eat 1400 cals. Some people only eat half their exercise cals. You have to find what works best for you but it is usually not healthy to eat below 1200 net calories per day. you risk putting your body into starvation mode and subsequently slowing down your metabolism. Then the weight won't budge.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    1200 Net is the minimum recommended some people argue to only eat some of your exercise cals but where you are at 1200 you should eat all of your exercise cals. If you have 1200 and burn 400 through exercise it is as if you body only has 800 (1200-400) to work with, there for you should eat all 400 as you should not be below 1200 net.

If you intake was 1500 and you burned 500 you could get away with only eating 200 to give you a net of 1200 (1500-500+200).
  • redhotsmacker
    redhotsmacker Posts: 227 Member
    I think this is my problem too...My goal is set to 1200 cals/day. I usually eat up to about 1400 ish cals, then I still have to take into account my exercise cals that I burned which is usually about 800/1100 cals per day....My problem is, I exercise in the evening, so by the time I am done it is around 10 pm and I am sitting at about 500 net cals. This means I have to eat at least another 700 cals??? I'm really not that hungry after exercising....

I find that MFP will not yell at me if I atleast consumed 1200 before the exercise....however I am still losing about 2lbs/week...

I'm confused.....
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    I think this is my problem too...My goal is set to 1200 cals/day. I usually eat up to about 1400 ish cals, then I still have to take into account my exercise cals that I burned which is usually about 800/1100 cals per day....My problem is, I exercise in the evening, so by the time I am done it is around 10 pm and I am sitting at about 500 net cals. This means I have to eat at least another 700 cals??? I'm really not that hungry after exercising....

I find that MFP will not yell at me if I atleast consumed 1200 before the exercise....however I am still losing about 2lbs/week...

I'm confused.....

You still may lose but it may be lean muscle you are losing along with fat.

Try planning on your exercise earlier that way you will have an idea on how much you will burn and eat that amount throughout the day.
This discussion has been closed.