Decreased mood/depression on diet?

Options
First off, I love my life. I'm financially secure and have amazing friends. I started this diet about 30 days ago and it's been going great. However, the past week has been difficult emotionally. I'm more irritable and actually feel depressed. I DO NOT NOT NOT have suicidal thoughts. But I do feel somewhat sad and every little thing bugs me. I wake up in a bad mood. Hehe! I think maybe this is my disconnect from using food as a coping method for long days...etc? But I never felt like I used food in that sense. Heck, I don't know. Can anyone relate? P.S I'm down 11 pounds! YEAAAAAAAH BOY!

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Some people notice depression as a side effect of not eating enough. How much are you eating? (along with that what it your age, sex, height, weight so we can have an idea if its appropriate for you or not) If you're a female- is it pms? sometimes not having your typical comefort foods that time of the month makes it harder.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Have you cut out carbs or sugar from your diet? They naturally increase seritonin, which is a hormone that can make you feel happier.
  • mwa2801
    mwa2801 Posts: 23
    Options
    I haven't been getting enough carbs, so that must be it. Thanks! Nope, I'm a man so no PMSING. :D
  • LeashaLeash
    LeashaLeash Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Your fat intake could be too low. Fat is what helps keep your hormones moving along nicely, and men can get a slight drop in testosterone if their fat intake gets too low. Nothing serious, but enough to make you feel crappy. If you feel tired and crabby it's more likely low carbs, if you feel depressed or your sex drives drops a bit it could be your fat intake is too low. Hard to say without knowing how much you're eating.