Hip Bruising

Options
Does anyone else get this? On both sides where my hip bones are I have a small bruise. Now I'm not extremely thin or anything but I've noticed after losing a bit of weight my hip bones are more prominent. Do you think the bruises are just from less padding in that area and caused be me catching my sides/moving while I'm sleeping or could it be something else?

Replies

• dlbredesen
    dlbredesen Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I notice small bruises on my wrists, shins and hips. I think that I bump these areas while getting used to a smaller body.
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    It could be a number of things. I used to get a little bruising around my knees and on my calves because my legs weren't used to all the walking I was starting to do, and I was walking mainly on hard sidewalks, which added to that. Have you started doing any new exercises?

It could also be general less padding, like you mentioned. I sit in the shower to shave my legs, and after I lost enough weight, I could definitely tell how much bonier I had gotten!
  • Satiable
    Satiable Posts: 121
    Options
    Sure, this happens to me all the time. Do you ever:
    - lie on your stomach on the floor or in bed?
    - do any exercises that put pressure on your hips, for example 'cobra' or 'superman' bodyweight exercises or barbell hip thrusts?
    - wear clothes (esp. jeans) with a low-rise or mid-rise waistband that fit a little too tight across the hipbones, and squeeze them when you sit down?
    - lean over desks or benches that are about hip-height?

All of those things, plus running into furniture 'cos I'm just that clumsy, have left my hipbones bruised. So long as they're small bruises and not painful it's probably not worth worrying about.

Congratulations on the weight loss!
  • rachellleanne
    Options
    Thanks for the replies! I haven't started any new exercises which put pressure on my hips, so I don't think it's that. Although as you mentioned, when I started running, I'd get bruises on my legs sometimes because of that. It has occurred to me that I've been wearing some of my old skinny jeans lately so maybe that's causing some pressure. I might try not wearing them for a week or so and see what happens. It's just weird looking in the mirror and seeing two identical little bruises!