Pre-workout and Post-Workout FOOD--help!!!

Options
My diet used to consist of mostly carbs. I'm trying to change that and drop the carbs and up the fiber/fat/protein. In doing this my energy level (to me) has just plummeted. I don't know if it is just that time of year for me, or if it has to do with the food I consume. Anyway, I like to run 3-5miles 5 days a week. I use "run" loosely though as a lot of the time I spend walking at a 4.2mph pace. I started to eat protein beforehand. I'm thinking maybe I need to eat a Carb beforehand and eat a protein after. Can anyone give me some ideas of what to eat prior and what to eat after. Also, how soon before and how soon after? Also--I don't like milk or milk consistency drinks so I can't do shakes or smoothies.

Replies

• _jayciemarie_
    _jayciemarie_ Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Bump :)
  • RacquetChick
    RacquetChick Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Are you only running? I would definitely eat carbs beforehand though there are some who feel fasted cardio is the way to go. You might really just need to eat more to fuel all those runs?
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Well I took a brief flip through your diary and it is not looking that low carb. I see a few days where you are in the 100-110 range. Is that your target? That does not seem so low that it should be decreasing your energy levels much; however, sometimes our bodies just resist a change. I think it you stick with it and try to get more consisntant with your intake your body will adjust.

3-5 mile runs are not really enough to worry about pre or post workout fueling. Just make sure you are getting the carb/protein ratio you want througout the day. If you really want a little boost before a workout I would recommend a banana. For after running I usually see a 2:1 carb:protein ratio recommended. Just make sure you have a good way to measure your burns and are logging accurately.
  • alathIN
    alathIN Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    It kind of depends on whether your primary goal is fitness/performance or weight loss.

If you're trying to maximize fitness/performance, definitely take in some carbs first and refuel with carbs after. However this does not have to be a carb feeding frenzy - unless you're running a marathon, something along the lines of an orange would be plenty.

When people are trying to maximize weight loss - and depending on which school of thought you believe in (some would argue this) - there may be advantages to making your body burn fat to fuel your workout rather than pre- and post- workout fueling. If you do this you may notice a performance drop off.
  • _jayciemarie_
    _jayciemarie_ Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Thank you. My diary has been all over the place since Girl Scout cookie season. I'm definetely trying to lower my carbs. I'm not an Atkins person. I just want to lower the carbs and up the protein. To me--I'm doing just that. To others I'm probably carb overloading. Back in January I was sick and I had to take several weeks off. I have been trying to get back into where I was before which was able to run 2 1/2 miles before walking. I can't even run 10 minutes now without needing to stop. I just don't know how fast I can go downhill after not running daily. The only thing I changed was I started to somewhat limit my carbs. I'm guessing it has nothing to do with the food and just equates to laziness or lack of motivation on my part.

ETA: The only reason I exercise (honestly) is to be able to eat more food during the day. A benefit I get from doing that is working on my fitness. So, fat burning is ideal. I have about 25lbs left to lose.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with carbs? Carbs are runners/cyclists fuel! Eat fruit before and after your run. Eat a good salad with plenty of greens, maybe a few beans and an avocado, maybe a few sunflower or sesame seeds, at night to get your minerals, protein and fat.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    It may have to do with the food and it may not, but you will have to give it a little longer and a more consistant trial to really see how your body responds.

Speaking from experience, re-gaining fitness is more frusterating that gaining it in the first place. At least when you have never been there every little bit feels awesome, even if it was only 5 steps farther than yesterday. When rebuilding fitness you feel like you should be able to reach a certain distance because you have before, so when you can't its very frusterating. Forget about the past, start with where you are today and make a plan based off of that. Start setting some goals and celebrate reaching them (even if its not the first time you have). Setting goals makes a huge difference for my routine and really gives me focus.

And you are NOT lazy, lazy it sitting on your bumm watching someone else run :)