Carrrrrrrrbbbbbs

Options
I had cut out most of my carbs recently, not all the way or anything. I just limited it because it was a lot of calories for not a lot of food. I've been eating mostly veggies and fruits and cheese and things like that. I didn't particularly miss bread and such. The thing is, Sunday through this morning, I've eaten more of the bread stuff. I've had a pancake to eat three times for breakfast, and Monday and Tuesday I had Ruebens for dinner. Yesterday I had french fries and corn, which aren't bread but they fall in my category of "Mostly useless" calories.
I went over on my calories or macros on I think two of those days. I'm not bent out of shape about that, I've gone over on calories on days where I wasn't eating a bunch of bread too. What's bothering me is this.... puffy... feeling. As though every inch of my digestive tract has bread in it. I don't like it. I like the light feeling I had when I was eating giant piles of fruit for bfreakfast and tons of greens.
Is it the bread that's making me feel like the Michelin man, or is it my guilt center associating bread with bad eating?

Replies

• PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Most likely reaction to the grains.

Vegetables and fruit along with adequate fat and protein makes you feel lighter on your feet and no bloating.

My husband just cut out all the gluten and he is down a pants size in 6 days after the bloatedness has went away.
  • tegalicious
    tegalicious Posts: 629
    Options
    I would actually say that you probably just have bloating from eating extra food. It happens when you eat more than you are used to. You have extra food in your system that hasn't made its way out yet :)
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Besides your 'overdose' lol on grains, you had a pretty high amount of sodium pumped into your body the past day or two... you will definitely see bloat from that as your body is retaining water to balance your electrolytes.

I have to be Gluten Free due to severe allergies so I can't say much about YOUR grain carb issues, but I SURE KNOW when I've had something that I shouldn't!
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I would actually say that you probably just have bloating from eating extra food. It happens when you eat more than you are used to. You have extra food in your system that hasn't made its way out yet :)

Mostly this, and you're probably retaining water. One of the side effects of eating carbs.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    If you've been cutting carbs and have then re-introduced them it may be water retention.

If you want to cut back on the carbs longer term and focus on the veggies and fruit, then don't sweat it too much, just start again from now.

Good luck.:smile:
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    and this is exactly why I say not to carb cut, because when you (generally speaking) go back to eating them normally again, you puff up.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

Mostly this, and you're probably retaining water. One of the side effects of eating carbs.

Yeah, this. I especially feel this way after eating pizza, even when I stay within my calories.
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    When you go back to not eating clean, there's always some gas and bloating.
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to watch my carbs too....around 120g a day and this week hasn't been really any different but I too am feeling bloated. It could be extra sodium like someone else said. I know I've had much higher sodium levels due to leftover corned beef all week. If all you feel is bloated and not other gut issues(associated with gluten) then it probably is just extra food this week along with higher sodium levels. It happens. Just try to back off a little bit. It will pass.