switching from processed foods...

Options
cssyti
cssyti Posts: 108 Member
Ok, so I tried to revamped what foods I ate. cut back on fried foods and eating out. I am doing good with portion control and under my caloric intake for the day about 95% of the time.

The problem is I have turned to jimmy Dean delights for breakfast and tuna fish for lunch everyday, and they are both processed foods. I have never been exposed to anything other than fast food and processed foods my whole life. I see people talking about spinach and avocado, peppers, using virgin oil etc.. i have no idea about things like that.

I am asking for help on how to replace my breakfast and lunch from eating processed foods to healthier options.

Thanks in advance!! :smile: :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with tuna fish or I'd even say the Jimmy Dean.

For breakfast you can make an omelet - pack it with veggies to make it more filling and yummy. Or make egg "muffin" cups. (basically eggs & veggies baked in a muffin tin - google for recipes - I'm at work and can't get to my pinterest page where I have my recipe I use saved - but there's tons of recipes out there).

Lunch - well I'd still eat the tuna mixed with some avocado. Boiled eggs are a good alternative though (can still mash them up with the avocado). Or grilled chicken & veggies.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    You don't have to completely eliminate processed foods if that's not what you want to do. Instead, look for ways to involve more whole foods into your diet. Buy some fresh whole food and find a way to add it in.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    You don't have to make a radical change. If you like having something hot that sticks to your ribs in the morning, how about whole wheat bread and almond butter? Easy to make, tasty and you get a nice shot of some fat, but a better fat. For lunch, instead of tuna salad (which might be mayonnaise and lots of additives), you could do hummus, spinach leaves, sliced tomatoes on a whole wheat roll.

I used to live on cigarettes, coffee, jelly beans, bacon and frozen yogurt and I'm now a semi-vegan whose eating is 80% or so high nutrient foods...but I didn't go from jelly bean, etc., to tofu all at once..it was just making gradually healthier choices.

GL!
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Most people committed to clean eating follow an 80/20 rule anyway. So eat the Jimmy Dean sausage guilt-free.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    You would be hard pressed to eliminate all processed foods from your diet. I'd suggest just look to incorporating more whole foods...eat veggies and fruit...scramble some eggs for breakfast and have them with oats or something (not the instant kind). Nothing wrong at all with tuna fish IMHO, but maybe just grill up some chicken breasts or something...basically more whole foods and cooking from scratch.

You don't have to do a 180* overnight either...baby steps.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I tried to revamped what foods I ate. cut back on fried foods and eating out. I am doing good with portion control and under my caloric intake for the day about 95% of the time.

The problem is I have turned to jimmy Dean delights for breakfast and tuna fish for lunch everyday, and they are both processed foods. I have never been exposed to anything other than fast food and processed foods my whole life. I see people talking about spinach and avocado, peppers, using virgin oil etc.. i have no idea about things like that.

I am asking for help on how to replace my breakfast and lunch from eating processed foods to healthier options.

I don't see anything wrong with either one, unless you are concerned with sodium. Processing isn't the big deal people make it out to be, as processing is an important part of making some foods safe for consumption, such as pasteurizing milk. Freezing fresh veggies to make them storable is another form of processing. So don't get too hung up on it. Mix it up a bit by adding in whole food like fresh fruits and veggies. Some mornings, choose oatmeal instead of the delights, and use a chicken breast for lunch instead of the tuna fish. Mixing it up is a good way to keep variety in your meals and keep things interesting as well.
  • Bernadette60614
    Options
    Also, you can look for healthier substitutions. Morningstar makes nonmeat sausage alternatives, e.g.

To me, the easiest way to increase the whole foods I eat: look at the number of ingredients on the side of a package. You can't always eat a one ingredient food (eating beans or spinach or apples...all single ingredient foods), but you can eat more foods with fewer ingredients and make steps towards your goal.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Make your own egg sandwich, oatmeal, or smoothie for breakfast.
    Tuna is ok, or make a big salad for lunch
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I eat eggs with vegetables in some fashion most mornings. My go-to breakfast is a vegetable frittata. Basically an omelet, but even easier. Add whatever vegetables you like cooked to a small pan--I usually toss in some mushrooms if I have them, broccoli, spinach, but it really depends on what you have and like. Mix up a couple of eggs. When the vegetables have cooked some, pour in the eggs, make sure they get around all the vegetables, and when set (maybe a minute) put it in the oven at 350 or whatever until the eggs look cooked. That's really not very many calories, so I'd generally have something else too--smoked salmon or yogurt or a banana, whatever you like.

I'm not super into breakfast specific foods, so I also eat less traditional stuff a lot, as long as it's fast. This morning I had a salad with a couple of hard-boiled eggs and some plain shrimp that I had in the refrigerator. (This would have been a fine lunch, or add tuna for the protein. But there's nothing wrong with a sandwich either.)

Oatmeal is a great breakfast staple too.

My easiest lunch is just leftover dinner. I have this in mind when deciding how much to cook.
  • raevyn07
    raevyn07 Posts: 8
    Options
    What I found worked best for me was making small changes every several days or once a week. The first week I cooked up a batch of a rice/quinoa blend I found at my grocery store, and grilled up some chicken breasts with different seasonings on them. Each day I took a different flavor of chicken with the rice/quinoa blend and some frozen green beans or peas for lunch each day. For dinner I had salad with some chicken or turkey thrown in. That fairly effectively cut off my fast food habit at lunchtime. Now I've found that the fast food places near work that I do like no longer agree with my digestive system and make me miserable all afternoon. I've stepped my Dr Pepper consumption down from 2-3/day to a single, Imperial Sugar one in the morning, with the exception of my cheat day, when I will have an additional one in the evening, mixed with some rum.

I truly do feel better when I don't eat the hamburger helper, mac & cheese, and even canned veggies that the rest of my family eats for dinner. When I go out to dinner at an actual restaurant, try to make responsible choices.

I've just gone back on the good food wagon after about 2 weeks off because of stress and various other stuff going on. Despite eating a lot of junk, I'm still down 2 lbs from the last weigh in (about 3.5 weeks ago), and I'm good with that.

One day at a time, don't try to make too many changes at once, or even drastic changes suddenly. Baby steps that continue to go forward work better than giant leaps that cause a tumble backward in the end. :smile:
  • cssyti
    Options
    What I found worked best for me was making small changes every several days or once a week. The first week I cooked up a batch of a rice/quinoa blend I found at my grocery store, and grilled up some chicken breasts with different seasonings on them. Each day I took a different flavor of chicken with the rice/quinoa blend and some frozen green beans or peas for lunch each day. For dinner I had salad with some chicken or turkey thrown in. That fairly effectively cut off my fast food habit at lunchtime. Now I've found that the fast food places near work that I do like no longer agree with my digestive system and make me miserable all afternoon. I've stepped my Dr Pepper consumption down from 2-3/day to a single, Imperial Sugar one in the morning, with the exception of my cheat day, when I will have an additional one in the evening, mixed with some rum.

I truly do feel better when I don't eat the hamburger helper, mac & cheese, and even canned veggies that the rest of my family eats for dinner. When I go out to dinner at an actual restaurant, try to make responsible choices.

I've just gone back on the good food wagon after about 2 weeks off because of stress and various other stuff going on. Despite eating a lot of junk, I'm still down 2 lbs from the last weigh in (about 3.5 weeks ago), and I'm good with that.

One day at a time, don't try to make too many changes at once, or even drastic changes suddenly. Baby steps that continue to go forward work better than giant leaps that cause a tumble backward in the end. :smile:

What is rice/quinoa blend? How do you make it and what does it taste like? Where did you find Dr. Pepper with Imperial Sugar?
  • cssyti
    Options
    I eat eggs with vegetables in some fashion most mornings. My go-to breakfast is a vegetable frittata. Basically an omelet, but even easier. Add whatever vegetables you like cooked to a small pan--I usually toss in some mushrooms if I have them, broccoli, spinach, but it really depends on what you have and like. Mix up a couple of eggs. When the vegetables have cooked some, pour in the eggs, make sure they get around all the vegetables, and when set (maybe a minute) put it in the oven at 350 or whatever until the eggs look cooked. That's really not very many calories, so I'd generally have something else too--smoked salmon or yogurt or a banana, whatever you like.

I'm not super into breakfast specific foods, so I also eat less traditional stuff a lot, as long as it's fast. This morning I had a salad with a couple of hard-boiled eggs and some plain shrimp that I had in the refrigerator. (This would have been a fine lunch, or add tuna for the protein. But there's nothing wrong with a sandwich either.)

My easiest lunch is just leftover dinner. I have this in mind when deciding how much to cook.

I like oatmeal but I tend to add too much extra, like milk and sugar
  • cssyti
    Options
    I would like to incorporate veggies in to my eating habits but I dont know how to make/cook them. I know it sounds silly but only veggies I ever ate came from a can. just heat and add butter. I like broccoli, corn, and french style green beans but i add butter. My boyfriend uses green peppers and onions in our spaghetti sauce.
  • autumnsquirrel
    autumnsquirrel Posts: 258 Member
    Options

I just sent you a friend request. I know from whence you come. It can be difficult making that transition to processed foods--even the ones we think are supposed to be good for us. Healthy living takes planning. Planning your meals ahead is a good thing. For breakfast, I make a crustless spinach quiche in advance and take a slice each day--it lasts 8 days. Or you can scramble an egg or 2 in the microwave:) If you like oatmeal, get the quick old fashioned oats and put a little cinnamon. Lunch can be salads you make ahead. I use mason jars and make enough for me and the hubs for the week-the kids won't eat them, LOL!!!!!! Dinner can be chicken-perdue, fresh, boneless chicken breast and you can marinade it a healthy dressing you make with honey mustard and white wine vinegar, asparagus and if you can eat them, baby red potatoes. (I had to kiss them g'bye because of the carbs.)
  • mccindy72
    Options

Add vanilla, fruits, peanut butter, honey, things like that add tons of flavor.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    I would like to incorporate veggies in to my eating habits but I dont know how to make/cook them. I know it sounds silly but only veggies I ever ate came from a can. just heat and add butter. I like broccoli, corn, and french style green beans but i add butter. My boyfriend uses green peppers and onions in our spaghetti sauce.

Buy fresh veggies and steam them (steamers for a saucepan are pretty cheap). Sautee them in olive oil. Spritz them in olive oil and roast them.
  • ksimmons19
    ksimmons19 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Maybe as the others have said, you should try to ADD the "good" stuff in along with whatever habit you're in now. That way you're getting your fruits and veggies servings and enjoying what you enjoy. Possibly once you do that long enough you'll crave more whole foods naturally. You'll be adding in more fiber and nutrients, but not many calories (since you said you're under your target every day you'll probably at least meet your target) You could add an apple or some cuties for a snack...and maybe put the tuna in a spinach or kale salad and add some light dressing, etc. I just did a radical overhaul of my diet and switched to vegan. I haven't been 100% on it but I've been doing pretty well and eating a TON of fruits and veggies. I have never eaten this much in my life and it's harder to get your macros and calories in, but you are able to eat so much MORE food. And I love food. Before I get torched for eating vegan, it's not for weight loss. I just got diagnosed with MS and there's some evidence to show that saturated fats are linked to MS so I just find it easier to eat vegan since there's little to no saturated fats in most fruits and veggies.
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Carol's Spartan Diet:

Friday-grill fish. Fish is scheduled in this diet because it is good for you.

Saturday-cook 1/4 pounds of beans for soup making Sunday to remind you to grocery shop for strength.
    Grocery shop for strength.

Sunday-
    1. Soup. Brown 1/2 pound of meat with an onion, draining fat into can you keep in the fridge for this purpose. Add 8 cups of chicken or beef brother as appropriate, the 1/4 pound of beans, 1 pound of collards/kale/turnip tops or watercress. Add lots of pepper, a tablespoon of vinegar and simmer for two hours. eat out of it all week.

2. Oatmeal. Make 2 quarters of 20 minute cooking STEEL CUT PLAIN oatmeal with cinnamon only for sweetening. Have with 1.5 tablespoons ground flax seed and 1/4 cup frozen or fried fruit. Frozen is better it has less sugar. Add 2 teaspoons of peatnut butter and eat for breakfast next 7 days.

3, Make fish or meatloaf burgers. Beat an egg in a bowl. Beat in 1/3 cup ketchup and 1 package cheapest onion soup mix. Mix in 1 cup oatmeal (oats suck fat out of your digestive system unlike breadcrumbs). Only then add the terribly cold meat. Shape into burgers and bake on George Foreman or other grill or oven 350 for 45-60 minutes. Freeze in ziplock for daily nuking.

4. Hard boil 7 eggs one for each weekday.

5. Fish again for dinner.

Monday-Friday oatmeal breakfast no sugar or milk. Fruit and cinnamon sweetens eat. Boring but do you want to look delicious or eat something delicious proleatarian?

Lunch-Dr Joel Fuhrman's GOMBS anti cancer salad-bitter Greens-collards/kale/turnsip tops/watercress. Onions. Mushrooms. Beans. Berries. Seeds.

5. Dinner of lean grilled protein or fish/meat loaf burger. Sauce on protein or beans.

I also have 100 calories of a deluxe candy bar daily and 1 ounce of nuts. I'm of the belief that the soluble figer soaks up some of the fat and flushes it out of my digestive stream.

Yes I've gone out to eat and had crab dip for dinner, twice to 5 guys for baby bacon cheese burgers, fries and coke, and 2 slice of pizza with coke.

Sort of like the Christian calendar, I started having feast days and stopped having feast years.

I stopped eating out 9 times a month, drinking 60 ounces of diet cherry coke daily and eating PROCESSED SugarsSSS real, fake, molasses, honey, you name it. On my part, this took an exorcism.

I added 24 miles of walking and climbing 80 stair cases weekly.

Yes I believe that I can eat like this for eternity. I look forward to lifting weights 100 days in. I'm 53 years old and want to build muscle from walking, stair climbing and 4 hours of dog park playing and not be in a rush and hurt anything that would put me out of commission.

12 pounds sort of fell off since February 10 and people are beginning to notice. My muscles are beginning to purr! Particularly the biceps. They are saying JOY JOY JOY!

If I'm doing something wrong, please advise. I'm teachable.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Nothing wrong with milk or even a little sugar, if it fits your plan.

When I was doing oatmeal for breakfast I'd usually add about .5 cup of skim milk and a banana or blueberries (or any other sort of fruit), which would provide the sweetness. But that milk amount was just personal taste, not a limit. Just log it so you aren't accidently eating more calories than you realize.
  • Bernadette60614
    Options
    Re: Vegetables.

Yes, vegetables can be a challenge!

We buy frozen veggies in those larger generic bags: broccoli, brussell sprouts and green beans are our favorites.

Here's our fav preparation:

spray a cookie sheet with Pam (we like the canola version), dust with pepper, spread a bag (you'll have to experiment) a bag of veggies as evenly as you can over the cookie sheet. Dust with salt or oregano or both (you can play with spices.)

Pop into a preheated oven at 400.

We make green bean "fries" at 40 minutes at 400 degrees.

Roasted brussell sprouts or broccoli for 20 to 30 minutes.

You'll have to experiment a little....my husband likes things very crispy, I prefer them less so.

We typically make 3 lbs of veggies every 2 days and eat them as snacks, in soups,in chili, in stir fries.

The perfect way to make veggies is to buy raw organic, steam them and eat them with some no sodium spice....but we found that all we did was end up wasting them that way.

We're not perfect, but we are eating roughly 10 lbs of veggies a week this way.