What is considered a "clean diet"?

Options
This is so overrated for people like me that enjoy sweets, and lots of carbs. I know...it sounds like I want it all, but I do!!!! I have been avoiding carbs, but for the most part I have changes my pasta, breads for whole grain. Still most of my days I eat more carbs than what I should even dough I am within my daily budget. I have lost 17 pounds since October (an average of 1.6 a week), although it sounds like good, I feel like it's going so slooooow. But when I start changing drastically my diet I find myself mid-week binging, keep in mind that I am a single mom of three boys and I don't always have time or money to be cooking everything fresh. I have however managed to change everybody's diet as far as dessert and red meats is concerned. I eat mostly chicken, turkey and sea food (don't love reds), but I still don't know what else can I do to boost my weight loss and speed it up. I am seriously considering Body By Vi or something like that. So tired of being so fat!!!! :(

Replies

• KayLgee
    KayLgee Posts: 139
    Options
    Hang in there, I am in the same boat.

To me a clean diet is nothing processed, what does an average day look like for you?
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    To answer your question, what is considered a clean diet….it depends on who you ask. There is nothing that will "boost your weight loss" or "speed it up." Set reasonable goals, be patient and do not fall into the trap of Body by Vi or other products that promise magical results.

eta:
    here is a good read:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/822501-halp-my-sandwich-isn-t-clean
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Some people can eat clean and maintain that "type" of eating habit.

Think long term. I'm the same love sweets and salty for that matter. Realisticly I know I wouldn't be able to Never Eat sweets or other yummy (bad for you) stuff.

And I don't think what you described is 'that' slow, considering we had to make it thru the Holidays!!!

Keep up the good balance!
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    First, congratulations on your weight loss. It's great! That is a really good pace for keeping it off.
    Clean eating really just means nothing processed. Eat whole foods. Not ones altered in a package. It's not always possible so just make the best choices you can. Foods with as few ingredients and possible. You have already made great progress.
  • slbobe
    slbobe Posts: 28
    Options
    Hang in there, I am in the same boat.

To me a clean diet is nothing processed, what does an average day look like for you?

KayLgee, an average day for me would be coffee, w 2% milk, brown sugar; a bagel and fat free cream cheese for breakfast. I LOVE bananas, so I would have one almost daily as a snack. Yogurt, almonds, cheddar cheese stick or a protein bar for snack (usually within the 100-120 cal. range) Lunch is usually 1 cup of rice with beans and 4 onz meat or fish. Dinner i usually go very low...like a CHOCOLATE protein shake (which I LOVE), some fajitas , or something really easy to digest. In between all of those...there will almost always be some chocolate cookies (100 cal) or pudding. LOL....wow...now looking at it, I really don't eat clean AT ALL!! I exercise 2-3 days a week 45 minutes tae bo and there are weeks that I DO NOT count at all...that is why I am taking so long, but I don't like to feel like I'm on a diet!
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    It's when I wash my apples and rinse my quinoa.

Peanut butter is hard to clean, so I just eat it out of the jar like that.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    "Clean" means different things to different people. For me, my diet is largely made of of whole foods (including red meat, whole eggs, etc)...for me, if it's a naturally occurring food product then I'm good to go. I cook primarily from scratch ingredients, but I also don't have time to do every little thing from scratch. I don't have time for example to make my own chicken stock for stews...so I buy a commercial stock that is pretty good. I don't have time to juice my own juice...so I drink low sodium V8. I sometimes make my own sourdough bread, but I generally buy bread for sandwiches and stuff...things like this.

For the most part, my non-whole food items are pretty minimally processed...I don't really partake in boxed foods like kraft mac and cheese or any ready-made kind of foods...I won't touch a frozen dinner, I just think that stuff is nasty and always have...it's pretty much pig slop IMHO. I'm also not a fan at all of commercial baked goods so that's not of concern to me...I love my sweets, but I like them to be delicious and homemade. I do eat plenty of pasta (which I've never considered to be "dirty" but there are many who do). I also eat things like pizza and I enjoy some ice cream now and then and I'm a beer lover.

I eat the way I do because it provides me with optimal nutrition...I am also a foodie, so I've long enjoyed scratch meals and fresh ingredients and have never really been into sitting down to a t.v. tray dinner or whatever. Regardless, this aspect is largely about nutrition...eating "clean" or whatever is not going to jump start weight loss or make it go any faster or whatever. The largest aspect of weight loss is consistently maintaining your calorie deficit over time and being patient.
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Oh, btw, chicken stock is sooooo easy to make. RE the previous post.

If I buy a rotisserie chicken, I just pop the bones into my crockpot, cover with water, toss random veggies/herbs into it and cook it on low for 12-24 hours. I pour it through a strainer covered with cheesecloth and sometimes I strain the fat, sometimes I don't.

Homemade stock is so damn tasty.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Ask 100 people and you'll get 100 different definitions of 'clean eating'.

Most will agree that 'clean' foods are minimally processed (nearly everything we buy in a shop is processed to some degree).

In terms of a 'clean diet':
    Some people wish to eliminate carbs (sugar and/or starch) in order to be eating clean
    Some people wish to eliminate dairy.
    Some people wish to eliminate red meats.
    Some people wish to eliminate artificial sweeteners/flavourings.
    etc.etc.

You have to do what works for you and your lifestyle, and what you can sustain long term.

Personally, I just follow a balanced diet of whatever I like, which includes lots of whole foods and fresh produce and some convenience (more processed) foods, ensuring that I hit my macro and calorie goals.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    There is really no reason you should fear carbs, even if you're trying to eat clean. All clean eaters have their own definition; I eat about 80% clean, which means I eat mostly things that I could make myself and that aren't overly processed (no artificial flavors/colors/sweeteners, no additives I wouldn't put in my own food). I have my macros set to 50% carbs, which I try to stick close to because I'm focused on getting adequate protein, although I don't mind if I go over or under a bit as long as I have enough protein and fat to keep me full. Try to stick to whole grain options, especially those with one ingredient, like whole wheat pasta, brown rice, etc. and perhaps make some sweets with whole grain flour instead of having packaged goods.
  • slbobe
    slbobe Posts: 28
    Options
    Very interesting everything that you have written, thank you so much for such great comments...I guess I aren't doing so bad after all. It's easy to get down after you see such a slow progress, but in the long run, when we look back is when we can appreciate what a big hoop it really has been. Keep pushing forward you guys!!!!:)
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,019 Member
    Options
    My definition is mostly whole foods and minimally processed foods, works for me.