Injury and break from workouts :/

Options
I've somehow injured my foot and havent been able to do 30 day shred in a week because of this. This is incredibly demotivating as I was intending on doing it every day or at least most days in the week.
I want to be able forget about it until it's fully better and then start the dvd over again, but this feels to me like giving up and I know I'll find it hard to get back in the routine again :( I really don't want that to happen as what I have done has really helped and I'm already seeing a difference.

If anyone else had this sort of problem, I'd love to know how you managed to stay motivated and get back on track once you were able to again.

Heidi

Replies

• mariachi
    mariachi Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hey Heidi,
    I crashed my bike in July and tore ligaments in my shoulder. I compete in triathlons and was completely bummed when it happened. You may not be able to do the intensity of workout you were doing at first, but better to be safe and let your foot heal.
    What helped me most was staying on track by sticking to a plan still. Maybe the plan was just daily stretching, and using low weights, anything that did not put pressure on shoulder. Maybe focus on upper body, core, stretching, it will help, I promise.
  • mrssmith303
    Options
    Hey Heidi!

Totally in the same boat. Been out of commission for about 5 weeks. Don't get down. Adjust your calorie intake for the lack of exercise and just remeber that you'll get back to it when you can. Be gentle with yourself. You have to heal properly to move forward. Do you have an exercise ball? Those are VERY low impact and you can sit on it and do little exercise to help you do a little while you can.
    Hope this helps!
  • pxgabriel
    Options
    I have the same problem, shorly after starting my weight loss journey the 1st of june, I injured my ankle. It was really hard not to get depressed about it. I didn't work out much for 2 months, now I lift weights once or twice a week, and I go to the pool almost every day. I can't swim, but I can tread water, and that uses an amazing amount of calories. I have doing water aerobics class 4 times a week. My ankle is better, but I can still only walk the dog about 1 mile a day, to make matters worse, I injured my hip at the first of September. I am a wreck, but I managed to lose 7 lbs this month, and have lost almost 13 all together. Just don't give up.
  • SuzanneRogers
    SuzanneRogers Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Do floor exercises while you can't be on your feet. work on your abs, and arms, leg lifts, etc.. I have hurt me knee and has shin splints recent which made be get creative in the workout department. Try resistance band and hand weights.

Check out Youtube for exercise ideas also hulu.com had fitv and yoga that might work for you. I will see if I can find some and post them for you. I'm running out for appt right now.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    find something that works for you... when my PF was inflamed I swam, now I have a thickening of my tendons in my ankles, so jumping/running is very painful - so at CrossFit I'll row instead of run (haven't figured anything out yet for jumping)... you can get through this and be active, just scale your workouts to what will not engage the injury,
  • vickiele1
    vickiele1 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I had been doing the 30DS for about 14 days in a row - then injured my knee (stationary bike) and have not been able to do the bike or the 30DS due to the impact. Have been walking instead and then also doing my remodeling project on my kitchen. I do plan to try to do the 30DS tonight after about a week away from it. I am going to pick back up on level 2 where I left off and go from there. I try to remember, "IT IS MY JOURNEY." So, if I choose to do something different or not do something - it is my choice. In the end, I am in control over my destiny and the outcome of my choices. You can do this - I recommend giving yourself time to heal and then just picking up where you left off - you don't have to start over - why would that be necessary? Again, this is YOUR JOURNEY.

Blessings

Vickie
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I'm going through this very thing right now. I've done something to my foot 2 1/2 weeks into Insanity and I am heart broken about it. I've never had this much motivation and the weight is really coming off. I took a few days off last week but still kept exercising on the ellip. thinking it was just the high impact of Insanity that was giving me trouble. It wasn't. Yesterday was my day off from exercise and I thought I'd be back to Insanity this morning. I woke up feeling good, but just after being up for half an hour getting breakfast for my son, I was in pain again. I've made an appt. with a foot doc. but they can't get me in until next week. I'm having minor panic attacks, (ok, I'm being a little dramatic) about not being able to exercise.

Here is my plan: Today I am taking another full day of rest, including icing my foot and taking some ibuprofen. Tonight I am going to figure out an exercise plan for tomorrow that does not include anything high impact, but that can still get my heart rate up. I'm thinking of push-ups, crunches, maybe some of Jillian's other circuits, like the ones on the floor or the plank circuits.

What do you think are you with me?
  • jheller
    jheller Posts: 194
    Options
    Try swimming or her No More Trouble Zone workout - not jumping around except in the warm up and you could conceivably skip that. If you can stand on your foot you might be ok with this one.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Thank's for everyone's replies and helpful suggestions :)

I'm still doing strength training at my gym, just restricted to upper body, which I'm pleased with as I'm getting some exercise still. Yet it's the cardio which has been the major help with my progress, and this that is restricted the most. I think I'm going to start swimming (never thought of this :D) and anything else I can think of that doesnt hurt as much as I can.

Karincakes, I'm definately with you! I can do all the crunches Jillian does :) yet not the push ups or planks.
    Jheller, I'm intrigued by the other workout you mentioned. What sort of exercises does it involve? I can stand on my foot ok as long as it can stay flat. It is the part you bend when you walk/stand on your toes that is injured.

Heidi
  • leannemr
    Options
    Hi Heidi

I symapthise. I too have had an ankle injury.

Just over two weeks ago I twisted awkwardly in high heels and this has resulted in severely damaged ankle ligaments. My doctor has told me that this is worse than a break as the bone fuses back together in about 6 weeks whereas ligament damage takes several months to heal properly. His advice to me was RICE (Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevate) and he really emphasised the rest. After two weeks of doing NO exercise at all my walking was back to normal although I would get pain after a short while, and I went away on a weekend trip. I did a fair bit of walking even though it was in short bursts but I feel I have set back the healing process as a result so I am back to the "resting" element now!! Its very frustrating. I was hoping to go back to my circuit training class this week and just do the non-cardio stuff, however, I am more worried about resting this injury up so I don't do any lasting damage. I was 3lbs off my goal weight when I did it and have now managed to add another 2lbs to that!

Thanks to everyone else for answering this post as I have picked up some good ideas too! I hadn't thought about swimming and although not a strong swimmer I am thinking about going along for a session or two just to get myself moving and motivated again.

Good luck Heidi, hope your better and back on form soon!

Leanne