Reasonable to add 1km/week to long run?

Options
Hi all, sorry if this is a silly question but I'm wondering if adding about 1km/week to my long run is reasonable? I'm doing 4-7km runs mostly twice a week and am now at 10km for my long run once a week. My pace is pretty slow (7.5-8min/km) which I think will improve over time and I am not super concerned about the pace anyway. I'm pretty stoked because I didn't lag at the end of my run and I felt fantastic after. No soreness at all. Because of my shift work there will be some weeks when I can't really increase because sometimes I just feel a bit rough from nights so I think giving myself a goal of increasing my long runs from 10km to 15km over 8 weeks is an attainable goal. It also will give my body some time to adjust because soon I'll be getting into mileage I have never done before, or haven't done since I was a young teenager. Just hoping some of the more knowledgeable/experienced runners could share their thoughts in this. Thanks for your input! :)

Replies

• twinmom_112002
    twinmom_112002 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I think that is very reasonable. Do a cut back week every 4-5 weeks.

When I wanted to increase my mileage I found a half marathon training plan. I figured it would up my mileage at a safe pace and it was nice to have a schedule to follow. Never really intended to run a half but of course I am addicted to that distance now.
  • asdelmonte
    asdelmonte Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    A general rule of thumb is to not add more than 10% to your weekly mileage. And to take a cut back week every few weeks. So:

Week 1 - 10
    Week 2 - 11
    Week 3 - 8 or 9
    Week 4 - 12
    Week 5 - 13
    Week 6 - 9 or 10
    ...you get the picture.
  • Play_outside
    Play_outside Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Great, thanks you guys! I thought it was reasonable but thought I would ask. I guess I could look at a half marathon training plan but I feel like the training plans are so structured but I could use it as an idea at least. I actually am planning to run a half in the fall-I figured a goal like that would keep me motivated with my running and help prevent just dropping off of it at some point like I usually do! :)