How Long Do I Rest?

Options
Sooo, people have been telling me for a while to give my body rest... It finally started to sink in a little after my latest injury so I'm trying harder to do it. I'm not sure if anyone knows, but how long should I rest for my body to repair itself?

Replies

• wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Depends on what your workout are and your injuries
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    depends on how long you wish to be vague
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    You should rest just enough, but not too much.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    6-8 hours every night!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    41+1
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    most people have 1 - 2 rest days per week...but this really depends a lot on what you're doing for exercise. Also, if you're injured you will require more rest...nobody here is going to know how long it's going to take to heal.

To avoid injury in the future I would recommend having 1 - 2 rest days built into your fitness regimen weekly. My lifting program also has me de-load every 4th or 5th week depending on which template I'm following...on these weeks I drop the weight down substantially to ***** like levels and I also cut back on my bike miles...it's an aggravating week, but essential for me to stay injury free and let my body have a nice break from the beating I usually give it.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    The higher the intensity of the workout, the more time you'll need for recovery. If you're sleeping well (approximately 8 hours per night) and getting good macros, you'll optimize your recovery. It is different for each person.

Now, if you're talking injury, recovery is determined by how significant the injury is. Once you're cleared by your doctor to start working, you should consider starting at half intensity and working up from there. Keep good form in what you do.
  • iheartmy1dog
    Options
    I posted this but then I edited and deleted it...

Some info: Except for 3 complete rest days, I've exercised everyday for about 1yr & 9mths. I have quite a few overuse injuries because of this... Compressed nerve in foot that causes shooting pain, plantar fasciitis, strained hamstring, arthritis, tendinopathy(torn tendons by my hip) that causes almost constant pain, pain in calf muscle and right shoulder. And also, increased resting heart rate, high blood pressure, occasional fainting spells(haven't found the direct cause yet but I'm sure it has something to do w/ my excessive exercise somehow).
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    you really dont learn from your mistakes do you...

perhaps join a crossfit box

I learned a long time ago to let an injury fully heal and then give it another week (at least) after that.. Ya dont go out running the first day it feels ok when it still felt like **** the day before

I have a flare from a chronic injury I developed years ago. Currently I'm done running due to it. I'll be back
    at it soon.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options

Some info: Except for 3 complete rest days, I've exercised everyday for about 1yr & 9mths. I have quite a few overuse injuries because of this... Compressed nerve in foot that causes shooting pain, plantar fasciitis, strained hamstring, arthritis, tendinopathy(torn tendons by my hip) that causes almost constant pain, pain in calf muscle and right shoulder. And also, increased resting heart rate, high blood pressure, occasional fainting spells(haven't found the direct cause yet but I'm sure it has something to do w/ my excessive exercise somehow).
    You still don't say what your workouts are. And I'm unsure why you would continue to exercise with all these injuries. Also, exercising a lot will reduce your heart rate and blood pressure, so I hope you have consulted your doctor as to why yours have increased.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Damn.

I will stop thinking that I'm the most stubborn person ever when it comes to running myself into the ground. You win.

Honestly, I suspect you need about a month off from all strenuous activity. Don't even try to work around this stuff because I don't think you're capable of it. Take a month off, get some PT, and start fixing what you've broken. Then, as you ease back into it, don't make the same mistakes. Tendon injuries simply do *not* heal quickly and they're even slower to heal when still being used. (I should know...hypocritically, I'm dealing with some elbow tendonosis that started about 10 months ago...spent 4+ months rehabbing it, got some shots, didn't get better, so now I'm trying to work around it and am mostly ignoring it.) However, I *did* successfully rehab my PF during that time and have worked around another case of it in the other foot by being smart and laying off as needed.

TL;DR - you need help. Help that you likely won't find on MFP forums or trying to do it yourself. Get a PT. Get better.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

i dunno, perhaps you should rest for as long as your medical doctor tells you it will take to get you physically ready and for as long as your mental therapist says you can resume normal activities without becoming obsessive again. Until those two trained professional clear you there's really no point in asking randoms on the internet. get the help you actually need.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options

Ummmm...have you seen a doctor? You shouldn't be working out with any of that going on. Personally, I'd be looking for a physical therapist and rehabbing.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

um- I suggest you see a physical doctor- and then go see a head doctor because there are issues going on here.

And yes- everyone needs rest- or you wind up busted and broken and not being able to work out.

Resting at night is important.
    Resting between lifts is important.
    Resting to heal injuries is important.

Rest is the # 1 underprescribed referral people need and the most likely to be down played and over looked.