Fitbit and MFP?

Options
angela860
angela860 Posts: 7 Member
I just got myself a Fitbit and I love it! One question I have is around the calorie count the Fitbit calculates...

When I do spinning I wear a heartrate monitor so I can accurately track the number of calories burned per class and track them in MFP.

When I run, I wear the heartrate monitor and my Fitbit so I can continue to count the number of steps taken in a day.

Here's where my question comes in...since the Fitbit tracks and records excess calories burned into MFP, should I be entering the number of calories burned that my heartrate monitor calculates during a run? I want to make sure I'm not having those caloies counted twice in MFP.

Replies

• bakeralison1
    bakeralison1 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    If you are going to enter your heart rate monitor or other exercise that the fitbit would capture, you could turn on negative calorie adjustments, it's a checkbox somewhere in the diary settings. It would compare your exercise with the fitbit at that time and cancel the extra calories put in, but still allow you to record all your workouts.
  • TommyJensen1987
    Options
    I haven't actually done that yet, but if you add the time you did the exercise MFP should ignore your fitbit calculated calorie burn for that time period.
  • youdontknowwhatyousaw
    youdontknowwhatyousaw Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Just make sure you accurately enter the time you started exercising and the duration; your MFP entry will override the fitbit information for that timeframe.
  • donnaleighh
    donnaleighh Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    What drunknfreak said above is right ...

What works for me is the following.

Synch FB to MFP. Have MFP set to sedentary and enable negative adjustments.

You will see a credit for your activity recorded on fit bit on your exercise log.

If you do other activities that FB does not accurately record such as weight training, cycling etc, using your HRM you can log it into MFP and it transfers the data across and overwrites the fitbit for that period of time.

Works a treat for me like this.

There is a Fit Users Group here also which is good for sharing information. Hope it helps. Donna