Limiting Dessert to 2 days a week

Options
Hey Everyone, I was wondering if anyone has an issue with eating dessert every night! I have that problem and can't seem to kick it. I end up sabotaging my diet. I am looking for some support to help me keep on track to limiting my dessert to 2 nights a week. Does anyone else need help with this?

Replies

• kierakath
    kierakath Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have a big sweet tooth that sometimes gets me in to trouble. Instead of trying to restrict myself from having something that I crave, I've tried to change the way that I satisfy my sweet tooth. After dinner I might have a banana with a tablespoon of peanut butter or sorbet (80 cal/0.5 cup). I usually have a dessert flavored yogurt at lunch time (35 cal/yogurt cup).

Try finding low calorie/healthier substitutes instead of restricting yourself. If you're still not happy after making that change then try and cut back from there.
  • citawoman
    Options
    Thanks kierakath! Those are great ideas. I actually really love the cliff white chocolate protein bars. Maybe I will try to have one of those instead!
  • Amandawith3kids
    Amandawith3kids Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    i eat dessert most every night. i work it in. i had cheesecake last night, and since i've eaten light all day, and have a pretty low cal supper planned, i'm gonna have myself a giant heaping sundae with the works. :) and i already had a cookie today. just have to make room for it.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Serving of ice cream every night, lost weight, so I'm not your guy.

Don't restrict/limit yourself - work it in.
  • jillian_fan2425
    jillian_fan2425 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Big sugar junkie here. I agree with the suggestions above to add in healthier dessert choices or smaller portions instead of just outright depriving yourself of something you love. My personal favorites are Greek yogurt, fruit dipped in dark chocolate, chocolate protein bars, and small helpings of classic food (homemade cookies and brownies, cake for a special occasion). Best of luck!
  • molliepw
    molliepw Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. Desserts tend to be a spring board for me wanting to eat other things or go on a bit of a binge. I'm trying to stay very disciplined during the week and then have dessert on the weekend a few times. I do like the other post's suggestion about doing a fruity yogurt. I think I might do something like that for my afternoon snack at work. Thanks for the idea!
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options

Me too. I have ice cream pretty much every night unless I need some protein, and then I eat a greek yogurt for dessert.

If you're really hard up on calories, Weight Watchers makes a 70 calorie ice cream sandwich. Otherwise, I work any and all ice cream, cookies, cake, whatever into my day.
  • chunkybun
    chunkybun Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    jello has 10 calories for 1/2 cup
  • citawoman
    Options
    Wow, it is great to see all of you losing weight while still eating desserts! those are all great suggestions! In the past, once I eat dessert I feel like I have blown my diet and so I binge on whatever I am eating. Maybe if I do what alot of you do and work it into my calorie count, I that will keep me from going overboard. Thanks everyone!
  • Jlmervin03
    Jlmervin03 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Yea I have a sweet tooth as well. When I got pregnant I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes. I was so scared I would harm the baby so I cut sweets out of diet completely my whole pregnancy. After I had the baby and found out the diabetes went away, I have had a craving for sweets like crazy. To the point where I made sure I ate my dessert before my meals so I wouldnt be too full.
    I recently finally got handle on by eating flavored yogurts and when I feel like I ice cream, I blend frozen bananas in my Ninja blender. Taste like the real deal. I also drink protein shakes. Well good luck! Hope everything works out for you!
  • markja
    markja Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Desserts taste wonderful but, in most cases they do not satisfy. I have a sweet tooth and I love pies and chocolate candy. Most evenings I've learned to appreciate yogurt parfait. I start with plain non-fat yogurt, add some canned or frozen fruit and then some non-sugary cereal for crunch. One of my favorite combos is 1/2 cup FF yogurt, 1/2 cup of sliced peaches and 1/2 cup of Heritage Flakes.

I stay away from apple pie, any cream pie, cakes, etc. When I do have a bit, it's only a sliver. Now, the weird part is that since I've been doing that, a tiny bit satisfies my craving for sweet. It's just forming a new habit.

I don't believe in denying something that you really love but, we must learn moderation.
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    It may or may not work for you. It just depends on what you want & whether you can limit yourself.

I never eat dessert & never feel deprived. I could eat it if I wanted it but I don't want it. I do not eat any sugar or junk food. My body certainly doesn't need it.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I love sugar and can't do without. I've found healthier versions of most of the things I like, and I try to eat them in moderation.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I eat desert every night and did so while I was losing as well...I just planned for it and allotted some of my daily calories to eat, no biggie. I usually have dark chocolate.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i actually didn't grow up eating dessert after dinner. if my parents gave my brother and i dessert, it was chopped up apples or melons. occasionally we'd have some ice cream or something.
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I also have a crazy sweet tooth and up until October of 2013 I pretty much ate sweets as needed just in reasonable amounts. In October I took part of a No Candy Group Challenge for I think 3 or 4 weeks, and after that I found that I did resume eating sweets but not as much.

I worked with a trainer that suggsted I have sweets no more than three days a week and never at night - don't tend to want sweets in the day! Ideally he would like me to eliminate sweets, (though he did say I could have 2 fruits a day instead of one). I am currently pondering this issue, I feel that in the long run my managing sweets in my diet will be better for me than eliminating them until goal and then trying to re-introduce them back without losing all self control.

If you can limit yourself without feeling deprived then that may work for you, I on the other hand hate having a limit put on my sweets other than my own self proclaimed limit.

When my trainer suggested I limit my sweets, I had some guilt even when I would eat within the limits, just try and eat what is within your calorie limits and maybe then you won't feel guilty. Try logging food before you eat can help with this, when we log after - it's too late to change things.
  • somefitsomefat
    somefitsomefat Posts: 445 Member
    Options

Took a look at your diary. So a whole .5 cups of ice cream isn't limiting yourself? LOL Again, my main problem with the "I eat ice cream every day!" crew. The portion tends to get glossed over. I'm not opening a pint of Ben and Jerry's unless I'm eating at least half of it.
  • Bethie_J
    Bethie_J Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I can never give up dessert. I either work it in to my calories for the day, or try to work it off the next.
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I have dark chocolate every night. I find it helps not eat the larger desserts that you are referring to. Sometimes I add in the ice cream, an occassional brownie or cookie, and I had a slice of pie the other night. But yeah, I chose portion control over elimination.
  • amaysngrace
    amaysngrace Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    I love ice cream, so sometimes I will buy the really tiny cartons and eat one really slow. Other times, I will have a 1/2 cup of ice cream and a Fiber One brownie bar or lemon bar crumbled up on top with 2 squirts of whip cream. Or I will have a 1/2 cup of plain yogurt with 1 tsp of sugar, and 3-1/8 cups of dark chocolate granola cereal with 2 squirts of whip cream on top. Other times, I will have 5 dark chocolate covered pretzels. The key is to eat it really slowly, savoring every bite like its your last because afterwards you know you cannot have anymore of it until the next day lol.