Atkins - any low carbers out there & want to be friends?

Options
2»

Replies

• zano2008
    zano2008 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm trying Atkins starting today. I've done it before and had success. Unfortunately the weight came back on, this time I'll plan on post weight loss living. Does that make sense? Good luck to all....Zano
  • Gbach
    Gbach Posts: 6
    Options
    I am doing another low carb diet, the Dukan diet. It allows for a few more carbs from milk and yogurts but less from fat. I lost about 9kg with it this year, fell off the wagon and am determined to stick to it again. Went on Attack Phase (eqaul to induction with Atkins), only protein from meat, chicken, fish and milk products for 2-10 days and then you alternate pure protein and protein with lots of veg days.
    I used to do atkins but I don't lose weight with atkins anymore. I love the richness of the food and the variety, but I just don't lose with it anymore.
    I too can't handle the calorie counting, as carbs (even an apple in the morning) will trigger a major binge and I have no control anmore. I guess I am a true carb addict. I know I need to be low carb for life if I want to reach and maintain my weight.
  • zano2008
    zano2008 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hi..third day of induction. I've had success before and hope to sustain it. Anyone know a group of low carbers? Have a great day...Zano.:smile:
  • crissimoyer
    Options
    Hey I have low-carbed it many times...and LOVE it. I feel better in general & never hungry!!
  • hippiechick67
    Options
    I am back on Atkins, did it from Feb-April 2010 and lost 15 lbs. Stayed in induction for 4 weeks and it was really hard but it worked for me. Gained back only 5 over the holidays so back on it now to lose the 5 plus maybe an extra 5 if I can. My hubby got me on Atkins last year after he has successfully used it in the past but what has helped me keep the weight off is making a true lifestyle change. Don't get me wrong, I still ate "fun" things occasionally like fries , pasta and sweets, but it was no more than maybe once a week and only AFTER I reached my goal weight. I realized I had an addiction to sugar and an allergy to bread yeast and beer yeast (made me swell & retain water like crazy!).

Hubby bought me an EVO phone for Christmas and I loaded the mobile app - LOVING IT!!!!! I am in Day 3 of Atkins induction and am very pleased at how many of the foods I eat are already in the system. Lots of people who have added sugar-free foods have been kind enough to list the "net carbs" for items which helps a lot. I have lost 1 lb already, not hungry and feeling pretty good.

Atkins worked for me - I was only slightly overweight but found it impossible to lose weight no matter what I did. I have burned fat like crazy on this diet and that is with VERY slight exercise. I am a 40 something female and think I just can't metabolize the carbs anymore like I could when I was younger so it needed to be a lifestyle change for me.
  • haileemou
    haileemou Posts: 153
    Options
    Hi

I started the Atkins type diet yesterday, i did it at the beginning of last year and i lost almost a stone.

Ive tried low calorie intake but its does not work at all for me, the only thing that does work is low carbs and high protein!!

I do get bored of it though and get put off certain foods, but im desperate to lose weight before my wedding in June, deperate measures now!
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    Atkins is NOT SAFE!. IF you Do carbs do complex ones, whole grains, bean veggies fruit ect. THe bad carbs and the ones that cause cravings are the processed ones and ones with added Crap. Yes people have lost weight with this FAD DIET! Mostly water at first and they ususally gain it back plus some.
    Remember your Brain does need those natrual sugar from the GOOD Carbs to function physically and Mentally. DIETS dont work! THis is not something you can do long term. Really think about considering doing balanced meal plan.
    Check out Dr. Oz he had a good show on yesterday about 11 week plan.

If it is something you can't do long to DON'T DO IT! Here is a list I give my clients so they know what good and bad is. Hope this all helps

GOOD CARBOHYDRATES FOR FAT LOSS

VEGATABLES (ALL KINDS)

FRUIT (LIMIT QUANTITY IF YOU ARE TRYING TO LOSE FAT)

OATS&OATMEAL

YAMS

LENTILS

WHOLE GRAIN BREADS

WHOLE GRAIN PITA’S

WHOLE GRAIN CEREAL

POTAOES
    _____________________________________________________________________________________

CARBOHYDRATES TO AVOID OR LIMIT FOR FAT LOSS

WHITE PASTA

WHITE RICE

WHITE BREAD

INSTANT OATMEAL

FRUIT JUICES

BAGELS

DONUTS

MUFFINS

PROCESSED BREAKFEST CEREALS

WHEN IN DOUBT CHOOSE CARBOHYDRATES FOODS THAT ARE UNPROSSCESSED OR MINAMALLY PROCESSED
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________

GOOD SOURCE OF PROTEIN FOR FAT LOSS

MEAT

BEEF(LEAN CUTS)

PORK

VEAL

FISH

SALMON

TUNA

SARDINES

ALL OTHER SPECIES OF FISH

POULTRY

CHICKEN(SKINLESS)

TURKEY BREAST

VEGATABLES(LESS CONCENTRATED)

BEANS(LENTILS, ADZUI BEANS AND OTHERS)

NUTS(PEANUTS, ALMONDS, PISTACHIOS)

PEAS(SPLIT PEAS & CHICKPEAS)

GRAINS & SEEDS ( BE AWARE OF FAT CONTENT)

DAIRY

WHEY PROTEIN POWDER

COTTAGE CHEES(LOWFAT)
    _________________________________________________________________________________________________

PROTEIN TO AVOID OR LIMIT

LUNCHEON MEATS(SPAM, CANNED HAMS, MEATS ECT)

WHOLE MILK

GROUND BEEF

HAM, BACON, PORK CHOPS

CHEESE

IF IN DOUBT CHOOSE PROTEIN FROM FOODS THAT ARE UNPROCESSED OR MINAMALLY PROCESSED.

GOOD FAT SOURCES

FLAX OIL

FISH(ESPECIALLY OMEGA 3 SOURCES LIKE COD & SALMON)

NON-PROCESSED VEGATABLES OILS

NUTS(HAZELNUTS, ALMONDS)

OLIVE OIL

UDO’S CHOICE OIL ( OMEGA 3 AND OMEGA 6)

FISH OIL

PEANUT OIL

LIMIT FAT SOURCE

BUTTER

SATURATED FATS( AS IN RED MEAT AND CHEESE)

MAYO

MACADAMIAN NUT AND PEANUT BUTTER
    __________________________________________________________________________________________________

FAT SOURCES TO AVOID

MARGARINES

FOOD WITH TRANS-FATS(FRIED OR LABLED PARTIALY HYDROGINATED )

IF IN DOUBT CHOOSE FOODS THAT ARE UNPROSSED OR MINAMALLY PROCESSED, AND THAT CONTAIN LOW SATURATED - AND TRANS FATS
  • Pragmatica
    Options
    Haha. Following Atkins is safe, and it is something you can do for the rest of your life. That list you put up is basically what you do when you follow a low carb diet - you avoid starches, pasta, bread - especially if you are following the newer Atkins diet.

I have been doing "low carb" since October 2009, and have continued my success by making low carb my daily diet and routine. This is nothing unhealthy about being in ketosis, it was how our ancestors evolved with a high protein diet and why it works so well. But you have to make a COMMITMENT to follow it for life - LIKE ANY DIET. :)
  • hotpickles
    hotpickles Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I'm attempting to cut out certain kinds of carbs tomorrow. It's for the simple reason I have discovered I dislike anything and everything whole grain, but somewhat enjoy the fluffy white breads and rice (which isn't healthy at all). Therefore, it's gone. I also find a lot of grainy products just leave me bloated.

Edited for a second time because my spelling is terrible today.
  • scagneti
    scagneti Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Low carb worked very well for me a few years ago when I was on it, but I found I was hungry ALL THE TIME. Not just "not full" but insanely hungry. I would have just eaten a plate full of veggies, salad and a big steak and would have been able to eat the same thing again immediately afterwards.

I had heard good things about the Carb Addict diet (essentially on induction for every meal except one hour a day you eat all your carbs). I'm having success with calorie cutting right now, but if the weight stops coming off, I might do that. I really find that I can't live on it though -- I'd rather have less food than cutting out pasta or chocolate!
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Ive been fat my whole life. Tried tons of diets! You name, them I tried them. I did the Atkins and I did lose, but I felt to sluggish on it, so I had to quit. However, I was fascinated in this low carb thing. Seeral years later, I have discovered MEDIFAST. It is the perfect balance of protein, carbs, fats, and calories that I love. It was this program that made me see clearly that I am definitely carb sensitive, as the weight is just falling off me. Not hungry. No cravings! I eat between 80-100 grams of carbs a day, all from veggies or the MEDIFAST meals. No flour. No starch. I feel amazing! Never felt like this before in my life. I would stay on this the rest of my life. I plan to never add in those nasty carbs into my life again as it, obviously, has proven to me that those carbs is what got me fat to begin with. I can enjoy many delicious dishes without carbs. I go out to eat and still know how to dine without carbs. This is NOT A DIET TO ME, but will be my life.

I am allowed more carbs that you are on Atkins, I believe, I try to eat 15 grams of carbs at dinner which I usually get from spaghetti squash, turnips fries, mashed cauliflower, zucchini ribbons (made with laughing cow cheese and tomatoes-taste like pasta) to name a few.
  • tatiana_13
    Options
    I think everyone has to find what works best for them. If you are someone who does not have a problem with carbs...then a low carb or controlled carb diet doesn't make much sense to you (I tried being vegan...turns out, it didn't make much sense to me...I gained weight and was hungry all the time, but I don't go preaching to my vegan friends for whom it seems to work).

I've been low carb for years...sometimes losing weight and sometimes just maintaining weight. And its been a god send. A god send! Folks who don't understand low carb have all sorts of opinions about it...its high protein (I eat less meat than the average american), you don't eat vegetables (I eat MORE vegetables than the average bear...how else are you going to fill up a plate once you've taken out the bread and the mashed potatoes?). That you can't EVER eat beans, fruit, or any grains for the rest of your life...all false.. Of course, folks are welcome to their opinions--nutrition science is certainly a wide open field with few certainties...but it would be nice if these opinions were based on fact, not fiction....but I digress...

But I will say, that no matter what...I don't gain weight eating this way. I DONT GAIN WEIGHT! Sometimes I eat too much to lose weight. Sometimes I get lazy and don't exercise. And sometimes...yes, sometimes I eat something sugary and starchy. But when I rely primarily on my regular diet of whole foods with controlled carbs, I seemed to have stopped the yo yo ing effect of gain and lose.

So, if you've tried and it didn't work for you...maybe you didn't "do it right," but maybe you did. And it didn't work for you. Because you couldn't commit to the lifestyle changes. I can honestly say, that if I could keep my weight controlled while eating bread and cake and cookies and crackers....I would. I most certainly would! Duh! They taste good!

If you can, more power to you.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    You can also check out Jillian Michael's Oxidizer Test. I don't know how valid it is but it's interesting. I just typed "Jillian's Oxidizer Test" into google search. It could help and little with carb/pro/fat balance.
  • tristahenry
    Options
    Congrats for making a lifestyle change. I tried the Atkins and the volume of meat and whole fat cheese made me sick. I would actually throw up what I ate. I guess my body just needs more veggies. My brother had the same reaction. I switched to the South Beach and had great success. It seemed to focus more on glycemic index and a balance of protein, veg & good carb foods. I felt much better on it, lost about 20 pounds and changed my blood chemistry (ie: cholesterol & triglycerides). Fell off the wagon, as they say and trying to get back to it. Best of luck!!
  • johaleesi
    johaleesi Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Low carbing and starting today actually. I see low carb get put down a lot but when it worked wonders for me the last time I tried it, so I'll be sticking with what I know works.