HIIT Work-to-rest ratio

Options
I have always loved HIIT because there are so many benefits that come along with this form of training (e.g. increases in RMR due to EPOC, and a myriad of cardiovascular benefits). There are so many methods of training with so many variances in work-to-rest ratios that it is confusing on what is the best ratio to use during HIIT. It seems as if "more is better" is valued over allowing the body to recover adequately enough between each interval.

I've always did HIIT with a 2:1 ratio, (e,g, 60 second 90% maximum power exercise with an active recovery of 30 seconds) but now that I've done some research, I wonder if 1) the duration of the interval is too long where a high intensity exercise turns into an aerobic exercise and 2) whether the rest period is too short to allow the body to fully recover.

Does anyone know what is the best work-to-rest ratio for HIIT training or have some links of research relating to this? I've seen a few on PuMed, but again there was a lot of range.

Thanks!

Replies

• eso2012
    eso2012 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is a "best" per se because it also depends on the moves you are doing.

Tabata is 20s on, 10s rest (or active rest). Using that as a base, I sometimes up it to 30s active, 5 or 10s rest.

My 2 cents
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I sometimes do 90 seconds (leg presses or kettle bell swings) with 30 seconds and even within the 30 seconds window, I may do my obliges or inner thigh lifts.
  • Fiercely_Me
    Fiercely_Me Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I tried Tabata once and was thinking of incorporating it into my workouts.
  • lindzgayle
    lindzgayle Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    A few workouts I've read about say to start with a shorter rest, say 30 secs, and lengthen it the further into the workout you go. By the end of 20 min or so, it's going to take your body longer to recover than at the beginning.
  • djstrings
    Options
    what is HIT?
  • Fiercely_Me
    Options
    I sometimes do 90 seconds (leg presses or kettle bell swings) with 30 seconds and even within the 30 seconds window, I may do my obliges or inner thigh lifts.

Thanks!
  • Fiercely_Me
    Options
    A few workouts I've read about say to start with a shorter rest, say 30 secs, and lengthen it the further into the workout you go. By the end of 20 min or so, it's going to take your body longer to recover than at the beginning.

That makes sense. I never thought about that before. Thanks!
  • lindzgayle
    lindzgayle Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    what is HIT?
    High Intensity Interval Training
  • michellersalo
    michellersalo Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I have been doing a great TABATA cardio workout on the treadmill...

Normally I run at about 6.0 MPH

TABATA

20 seconds at 7.8
    10 seconds jumping off

(do this for 5 minutes/10 cycles)

Walk for 2 minutes and repeat 3 times! LOVE IT!!!!

I can't wait to see if it increases my overall speed for a steady state 5k (hmm, maybe a 10K)
  • Fiercely_Me
    Options
    what is HIT?

For example, you run as fast as you can for 20 seconds, and then do an active rest of walking for 10 seconds. Then you repeat. Some HIIT workouts range from 4 minutes to 30 minutes of intervals it just depends on what you're doing and what your goals are.
  • JusJay44
    JusJay44 Posts: 59
    Options
    Tabata?? can someone help me on this one.?
  • Fiercely_Me
    Options
    I have been doing a great TABATA cardio workout on the treadmill...

Normally I run at about 6.0 MPH

TABATA

20 seconds at 7.8
    10 seconds jumping off

(do this for 5 minutes/10 cycles)

Walk for 2 minutes and repeat 3 times! LOVE IT!!!!

I can't wait to see if it increases my overall speed for a steady state 5k (hmm, maybe a 10K)

Thank you! That sounds like a good workout!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Tabata?? can someone help me on this one.?

set times of internal training.

They are 4 minute intervals.

All Tabata qualifies as a form of HIIT training- but not all HIIT training is Tabata.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    what is HIT?

sigh

• JusJay44
    JusJay44 Posts: 59
    Options
    JoRocka.. Thanks .. i kind of figured, just didnt recognize it by that name. Preciate it
  • eso2012
    eso2012 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Tabata really rocks. And it sounds like something delicious ;)
  • FitRican
    FitRican Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    This is what I always understood a true HIIT. There is nothing wrong with interval training, but do not call it High Intensity. If you can do another set after 20 seconds after you are not doing HIIT.

This is what I do:

Warm up:
    3 minutes 20-50% intensity
    15 to 20 seconds 50% max intensity one minute rest
    15 to 20 seconds 60-75% 1:30 minute rest

Repeat (7) times working sets:
    30 second 100% intensity by 20 seconds I am hurting by 30 seconds there is no energy left on me then
    2-4 minutes rest at 30% intensity

Cool down
    5 minutes
  • Fiercely_Me
    Options
    This is what I always understood a true HIIT. There is nothing wrong with interval training, but do not call it High Intensity. If you can do another set after 20 seconds after you are not doing HIIT.

This is what I do:

Warm up:
    3 minutes 20-50% intensity
    15 to 20 seconds 50% max intensity one minute rest
    15 to 20 seconds 60-75% 1:30 minute rest

Repeat (7) times working sets:
    30 second 100% intensity by 20 seconds I am hurting by 30 seconds there is no energy left on me then
    2-4 minutes rest at 30% intensity

Cool down
    5 minutes

Thank you! That's what I was talking about. I thought I was doing HIIT but no, not really! Some of my intervals were way too long, and I most likely reduced the intensity during the interval well below 90%. And on top of that, I didn't rest long enough afterwards. Thank you for sharing your workout!
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    When I started HIIT, I couldn't do more than about 20 sec of all out and then need at least 60 sec of rest. Gotten to the point where I do 30 sec all out and 30 sec rest, but even then, I can't do more than about 12 - 15 cycles on my best day. No way can I get anywhere near 60 sec all out. I do this on a spin cycle, BTW -- rest is no tension, intensity is crank up the tension and go all out as fast as I can.
  • Fiercely_Me
    Options
    When I started HIIT, I couldn't do more than about 20 sec of all out and then need at least 60 sec of rest. Gotten to the point where I do 30 sec all out and 30 sec rest, but even then, I can't do more than about 12 - 15 cycles on my best day. No way can I get anywhere near 60 sec all out. I do this on a spin cycle, BTW -- rest is no tension, intensity is crank up the tension and go all out as fast as I can.

Turning the resistance all the way up and going all out sounds intense. Thanks for sharing!