Oatmeal

Options
Jlmervin03
Jlmervin03 Posts: 152 Member
I just went to Target and purchased 2 big tubs of old fashioned oats because they were on sale. Problem is I dont know what to with them. I've been eating the Quakers flavored oatmeal packets, but I know those are not the best for you. What do you put in your oatmeal?

Replies

• MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I make a big batch every weekend that includes 4 servings of oats, unsweetened almond milk, water, lots of cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger (don't measure, just shake until there's a layer of each on top) along with 2 diced Granny Smith apples (cored but skin left on), a sweet potato (par cooked, peeled and diced) and 1/2 cup of chopped pecans.
  • Jlmervin03
    Jlmervin03 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    That sounds pretty tasty and smart! Thanks!
  • C1C2C3
    C1C2C3 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I weigh out a serving at night, add some wheat germ and/or wheat bran and a heavy dash of cinnamon into a microwave safe bowl, add a generous 1 1/2 cup water and microwave for 2 minutes, stir (it will be somewhat watery) then cover and refrigerate overnight (most of the water will be soaked into the oats by then). When it is time for lunch, I reheat for 2-3 minutes. Depending on what I want, I add applesauce, chopped walnuts, &/or chopped apple before putting in the refrigerator or cut a banana into my oatmeal at lunchtime.

Also, there are tons of other ways you can use oats than just a regular bowl of oatmeal.

There are overnight oats, as well as baked oatmeal. katheats.com has a good recipe for baked oatmeal, which I loosely follow. Both the pumpkin and banana versions are good. I also like to put the baked oatmeal in mini muffin tins for snacks. I store them in the freezer and just microwave for a quick warm snack.

I have revised this recipe: http://jacquelinebanks.com/uncategorized/awesome-coconut-breakfast-bars/ by cutting the sugar out completely, switching the flour out for oats and adding an extra egg. It was good as is, but I prefer it with my modifications. I bake them in an 8x8 pan and cut into 6 bars. With my ingredients are 252 calories each with 4.6 g protein. They are not very thick but are fairly filling and are very portable for a breakfast or snack on the run. I am still working on perfecting it for my tastes and trying to add more protein.

There are alot of recipes that use oats as a main ingredients in granola, granola bars, dessert crusts, muffins, cookies, smoothies, etc.

Hope that helps give some ideas! :flowerforyou:
  • Boosier3
    Boosier3 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I go really plain. I take 1/2 cup oats and 1 cup water, zap in the microwave for 2 minutes on high and top with a little artificial sweetener.

ETA: if you ever get sunburned or heat rash, or even poison ivy, take 1/2 cup oats and tie into the toe (with room to expand) of an old knee-high stocking or cut a length including the toe from a pair of pantyhose. Take a bath and let the oatmeal soak a little, then squeeze the milky water over the effected area, letting the bathwater get milkier. Soak in the bathwater, Very soothing.
  • kagd28
    kagd28 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    In the mornings I mix 50g of rolled oats, 100mls of skimmed milk and a few sprinkles of cinnamon (probably about a quarter teaspoon). Microwave on high for a minute and then a scant teaspoon of maple syrup. Comes to about 225 calories.
  • tmaryam
    tmaryam Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    1/2 cup dry oatmeal (will make 1 cup when cooked), 1/2 cup milk (whatever your preference, skim, 1%, etc), microwave 2 minutes. Stir in 1 Tbsp crunchy peanut butter, and one Splenda if you want sweetness. YUM.

ETA: I usually cut this recipe in half because I eat smaller portions.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    Maple syrup and raw brown sugar FTW
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Make oat flour for baking. Turn it to dust in a food processor, then use it instead of regular flour. Use about 15-20% less oat flour than you would white flour.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I dice apples, and put in some cinnamon and nutmeg. A few diced dates for sweetness. Some ground flax seed or some walnuts, and top it off with some almond milk.

Blueberries and strawberries are fun, too.
  • ZeldaMarooner7
    Options
    I simply add some cinnamon sugar or something to give it a bit of flavor.
  • eslcity
    eslcity Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Here is something for you..... to watch and try:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dv-LcIC5gtc
  • SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    check this lady out, she makes her own instant oatmeal packets, you might be able to get some ideas from this:

http://www.theyummylife.com/Instant_Oatmeal_Packets
  • HRLaurie614
    HRLaurie614 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I make a 4 serving batch of steel cut oats on sunday and then bring a portion to work M-Th. I add a drizzle of maple syrup and about 2 tsp of homemade (not by me) strawberry jam. I know it adds some sugar, but I like it sweet. Keeps me full til lunch.
  • janal
    janal Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I like the crock pot oatmeal. It makes a large amount and it cooks over night. I use 2 cups oats (usually steel cut) and 4 cups of water and Blue diamond unsweetened almond milk (combined). I add cinnamon, nutmeg, honey or agave nector. I use either apples or pears and cook on low over night. It makes a weeks worth of breakfast and sometimes I top it with fresh blue berrries or raspberries.
  • zeal26
    zeal26 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I make 30g of oats with 270ml fat-free milk. I mix in 1 tsp of splenda, 1tsp of chia seeds, 1 tsp of a milled lindseed/gojiberries/sunflower/pumpkin seeds mix, and then sprinkle 1 tsp of real sugar on top. It's the only breakfast that keeps me full.
  • BrentJulius
    BrentJulius Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I always just put hot water from the break room, packet of splenda and scarf them down, haha, been doing for years but it's getting unbearable at times.. I really like the pre-made granny smith, sweet potato, pecan thing someone mentioned, I'm going to try it and if I can add more protein in there possibly from egg whites or greek yogurt it will be an entire mid-morning meal for me. Nice!
  • coffeelauren
    coffeelauren Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    my favorite thing to do with oats is find a mason jar, and mix together some oats, unsweetened almond milk, a vanilla nondairy yogurt (coconut, soy, or almond), cocoa powder, and a vegan chocolate protein powder! Then put some kind of cover on the mason jar, and put it in the fridge overnight and enjoy the next morning! Sooooooo gooooood.
  • MildredBarhopper
    MildredBarhopper Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of variations, but my favorites include adding in bananas and nutella, and another one is cocoa powder, sugar (or other sweetener of choice) and peanut butter.
  • Ophelia111
    Ophelia111 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    My favorite combination is 1/2 oatmeal with 1 cup water cooked on the stove top. After it boils, I add cinnamon, 1/2 banana and some frozen blueberries or raspberries and I cook it on medium heat for another several minutes. After it's cooked, I may add some peanut butter, too. YUM!