Protecting my back

Options
I have worked hard on trying to get my core in shape, my family heredity makes it hard;) I need suggestions on how to protect my back when I am doing intense Pilates and other ab workouts. I have a history of hurting my sciatic nerve from workouts. I am good at concentrating on implanting my lower back to the floor but I find that certain exercises make that impossible. My lower back curves naturally so when doing things like leg lifts and exercises needing the knees over the hips, my back will always arch a bit. I need to do these kind of exercises but don't want to hurt a nerve. Any suggestions? Or maybe, is it okay if it arches a bit as long as I am concentrating on my abs? I can't do grandma workouts because I need hardcore stuff to help my core. Many babies;)

Replies

• segacd
    segacd Posts: 5
    Options
    Try loosening up your hips prior to your pilates workouts.

Start with a warrior lunge stretch for each side, then an IT band stretch, and finish with just swinging one leg at a time back and forth 10-15 times to loosen up. Repeat this maybe 3 times. Also, I don't know what kind of ab exercises you are doing, but they should certainly not hurt your back. I recommend keeping it simple and sticking to planks, side planks, and the ab wheel. "Core" strength comes from doing full-body movements, like squatting or jumping. I would look into kettlebell front squats, box jumps, and jump squats, if you are trying to exercise indoors.

I do weightlifting and often get slowed down by tight hips, due to sitting at my job. If you hips can't move, your lower back will! Ouch.
  • salemsaberhagen
    salemsaberhagen Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I know I will get blasted for the following statement. Forget the pilates and start doing actual strength training; I'm talking about the four major lifts- barbell squats, rows/overhead presses, deadlifts, and bench. If you have lower back issues (and this will sound counter intuitive), you should be doing deadlifts; starting very light, work on form, and increase from there. The best way to combat lower back pain is to strengthen the muscle groups of your lower back so they may compensate. I have a blown PCL, scoliosis (which caused chronic muscular pain from child hood), and a compressed disc in my lumbar. Guess what? Since I started deadlifting heavy- the chronic pain is gone...completely. I'm starting to squat heavy and my knees are very stable and holding out just fine. I do heavy Good Mornings and it does not bother my disc at all. The key is to start very light and make sure your form is solid. If you start hurting, you body is telling you that something is out of alightment/balance and you're not doing it right. When I do not weight train- I start aching. This gives much credence to the philosophy that humans have evolved to support heavy lifting and to continually stress our muscular/skeletal system. Good luck!
  • nguyenkh2002
    Options
    Place your hand under your lower back. That will help support your back and lower the stress on that area.
  • salemsaberhagen
    salemsaberhagen Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Warrior lunges and IT band stretches are fantastic. I do 3 sets of about a minute of those before deadlifts and squats. You are so right about the tight hip flexors- they will ruin a workout.
  • segacd
    segacd Posts: 5
    Options
    I am with you on the barbell training, it just sounds like she is doing home workouts. I was trying to think of more practical alternatives.
  • nik_nak_1983
    Options
    Unfortunately I don't have any advice for you but I suffer exactly the same....So very interested in the responses!
  • riverain
    riverain Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I have had recurring lower back issues with sciatic/piriformis pain since a snowboarding accident several years ago, and my back health is essential for my favorite hobby, kayaking (lots of twisting and tweaking there!). What I have found is that: (1) correct form is mandatory in everything (even standing/sitting/walking--not just when exercising), (2) listen to my body regardless of what others say , and (3) do slightly less than what I think I can do when it comes to something that involves my back.

Pilates reformer classes helped me finally conquer the miserable stabbing/burning pains I used to get on a regular basis. Your back doesn't have to be completely flat in pilates, there is a little natural curvature. Just be sure you are focusing on correct form always! If you are starting to struggle to hold good form, that is the sign to modify or take a break.

If you do start weights, get a trainer who is a form perfectionist. First, learn the moves without weights. Then, learn the moves with ridiculously light weights. Then learn the moves with really light weights... you get the picture... Take it slow, but Run fast from anyone that encourages you to push it past what is comfortable or to increase your weights quickly ('no pain no gain' is a terrible piece of advice for people with prior injuries).

I still have a little pain now and again when I really push myself, but it is manageable when I remember to follow my self-imposed rules. Maybe something different works for others, but this helps me.