Has anyone roasted Chick Peas?

Options
Melissaol
Melissaol Posts: 952 Member
I heard this is really good. Has antone tried this..

Replies

• Very_Kerri
    Very_Kerri Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I have a recipe at home for some spicy roasted chick peas but haven't tried it yet, I am curious to see as well.
  • livelovetravelxx
    Options
    Some people on my instagram have...apparently it's a new "in" thing...they add chilli flakes I think to them too
  • Lonestar5775
    Lonestar5775 Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    My wife did some this past weekend. I'm afraid she may leave me now, there is nothing I have to offer her.

Seriously, they did come out pretty good. She took the time to rub the skins off before roasting but I think they would also be fine with them left on. You also have to be careful if you use a spice mix on them so as to not add a lot of sodium and make them less healthful.
  • sbsmutoni
    sbsmutoni Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    They're awesome!! I have done them in the oven and on a skillet on low heat. I like them spicy, so I use a little ancho chili powder. Spray them with olive oil (if you have a sprayer - otherwise, drizzle a tiny bit over them and shake them around). Put some course sea salt on them, and bake them on 450 for a half hour or so.

Get creative....use different spices. I've used garlic, cumin, 5 spice powder, sesame oil, etc.

Enjoy!
  • caraloopy
    Options
    I've done it! Drain and rinse your chick peas well. Make sure they get really dry and crunchy. Divide them up after roasting and try a few different spice combinations out. Yum. - ----Edit: now that I'm looking back, it seems that roasting at 250 might be why mine took so long and some of them never got crispy when I made them..seems I had bad instructions LOL. Next time I'll try 400 like everyone is saying here.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    I have! Nom. Nom. Nom. I rinse and dry canned chick peas, spray them with olive oil and season with whatever I'm in the mood for.
  • catelabow
    catelabow Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Yes, and they're delicious. I found a recipe with Morrocan spices. Also good mixed with other dried fruits/nuts.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    They're awesome!! I have done them in the oven and on a skillet on low heat. I like them spicy, so I use a little ancho chili powder. Spray them with olive oil (if you have a sprayer - otherwise, drizzle a tiny bit over them and shake them around). Put some course sea salt on them, and bake them on 450 for a half hour or so.

Get creative....use different spices. I've used garlic, cumin, 5 spice powder, sesame oil, etc.

Enjoy!

Never thought of sesame oil. Great idea!
  • tedsmama
    tedsmama Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    They are delicious. Do a lot though cuz they shrink up pretty tiny.
  • Kadoober
    Kadoober Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Yes! They are delightful!
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    I am Greek and they are rather popular here, eaten like peanuts or other similar quick snacks. If you are using dry peas, either let them soak in water overnight or boil them for a short time (depends on how "soft" you want the end result), sprinkle with salt and bake in the oven or cook in a non-stick frying pan. No need to add oil at all.
  • Melissaol
    Melissaol Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Do they have a lot of calories
  • Bounce4
    Bounce4 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Do they have a lot of calories

i'm making some - they sound good.

The can in my cupboard says 110 calories per half cup.
  • nik_nak_1983
    Options
    These sounds great! Totally trying these this weekend : )
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I made some a couple of weeks ago. I used EVOO, a little coarse sea salt, fresh ground black pepper and 1/4 cup finely grated parmesan cheese. They are absolutely delicious this way, or use spices and/or herbs to your liking.

With these ingredients and using 1 can of low sodium chick peas well rinsed, it made 4 servings (entered in my recipes on MFP) at 143 calories per serving.

I am going to try this using dried chick peas this weekend and using a little cayenne or crushed red pepper flakes.
  • Melionfire
    Melionfire Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    They are delicious and easy to make!!! I highly recommend trying!!
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Yup, love them !

I roast lots of different veggies ....... sometimes I throw the chickpeas in with them .......

But sometimes I do a pan of chickpeas alone ...... keep an eye on them & stir frequently ......
  • Bella0531
    Bella0531 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Yes! I roast mine with cumin, salt, pepper and olive oil. So yummy!!
  • SharonCMach
    SharonCMach Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Yes, I love roasted chickpeas. I just made a big batch last night. I like to keep a bag of them in my desk for snack. I dry roast mine, so yummy!! :love:
  • rachellleanne
    Options
    Yes! I roasted some the other day with just a little bit of olive oil, a sprinkle of cracked black pepper and a squeeze of lemon juice. They add a nice crunchiness to salads or even just as a snack between meals :)