Obese People Lose Rapidly at First?

Options
Hi, I am sort of new to this, I was here last Summer but stopped logging and came back on in February. My question is I have heard that heavier people lose rapidly at first. From March 1st to March 17th I lost 14 pounds, is this defined as rapid? All I am doing is walking approxmiately 60 mins a day and staying under my calories. MFP gave me 3200 a day but I eat about 2400. Thanks for your responses. IF this is true I want to drop the first 100 by summer.

Replies

• Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    They do lose rapidly...at first.

The first couple of weeks are mostly water weight and some fat loss. I would say losing 14 pounds in 17 days is rapid, but probably normal and safe for you if you need to lose 100 pounds.

Making a deadline for weight loss is not recommended. Goals are awesome, but short-term goals are best because the last few pounds may trickle off slowly.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am sort of new to this, I was here last Summer but stopped logging and came back on in February. My question is I have heard that heavier people lose rapidly at first. From March 1st to March 17th I lost 14 pounds, is this defined as rapid? All I am doing is walking approxmiately 60 mins a day and staying under my calories. MFP gave me 3200 a day but I eat about 2400. Thanks for your responses. IF this is true I want to drop the first 100 by summer.

This is a moderate schedule

Pounds per week
    75+ lbs to lose 2 lb range
    Between 40 - 75 lbs to lose 1.5 lb range
    Between 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lb range
    Between 15-25 lbs to lose 1 -.50 lb range

Is it possible to lose faster? Sure. Do you want to lose faster? .......Most people say...of course.....but there's a trade off.

If your goals are fat loss.....a moderate goal, good protein numbers, and strength training will help protect existing muscle mass. Obesity helps protect muscle mass too....at first. But as you get closer to goal a moderate goal will help you reduce fat and not muscle.

Time frames are terrible. Let's say you fall short of your goal....but you still lost weight......this is NOT failure.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Yah that's pretty fast...

If MFP gave you 3200 eat that...you have over 100lbs to lose and 2+lbs a week is gonna happen with you but you don't want it to be too fast or you will be losing muscle along with the fat...don't set too lofty goals and be disappointed...2-3lbs a week is good sustainable loss...

Suggestion would be to eat lots of protien and start lifting heavy weights to maintain as much as much muscle as you can.
  • gurlygirlrcr80
    gurlygirlrcr80 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    If you are not hungry for 3200 calories, then don't eat that much but you should focus on what you are putting in those calories and if you are full at 2400 then stop but don't eat 2400 calories of garbage. lots of lean meats and proteins and veggies.
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I lost rapidly at first and have continued to lose weight every week. When I set up my MFP account I selected 2lbs per week, and at my doctor's advice did not eat back my exercise calories. Most weeks I was losing 3-4 pounds. As I lost weight MFP reduced the number of calories I had until it reached a level I did not want to sustain as I was starting to feel tired and like I was not able to recover from my work outs as effectively.

They say a healthy loss is about 1% of your body weight per week. More than that might not be sustainable. That is certainly what I found. I am in the process of increasing my calories to a level where I should be able to continue losing at 2lbs per week.

I am not a fan of setting time goals for losing weight. Our bodies are not machines and weight loss is not predictable. Instead of setting a deadline, I recommend setting mini-goals. When you reach a goal weight, do something special for yourself that doesn't involve food. Remember we are trying to develop healthy habits that will last for life. The weight did not go on overnight, and it won't come off quickly either.
  • AbsolutelyAnnie
    AbsolutelyAnnie Posts: 2,695 Member
    Options
    I lost rapidly at first and have continued to lose weight every week. When I set up my MFP account I selected 2lbs per week, and at my doctor's advice did not eat back my exercise calories. Most weeks I was losing 3-4 pounds. As I lost weight MFP reduced the number of calories I had until it reached a level I did not want to sustain as I was starting to feel tired and like I was not able to recover from my work outs as effectively.

They say a healthy loss is about 1% of your body weight per week. More than that might not be sustainable. That is certainly what I found. I am in the process of increasing my calories to a level where I should be able to continue losing at 2lbs per week.

I am not a fan of setting time goals for losing weight. Our bodies are not machines and weight loss is not predictable. Instead of setting a deadline, I recommend setting mini-goals. When you reach a goal weight, do something special for yourself that doesn't involve food. Remember we are trying to develop healthy habits that will last for life. The weight did not go on overnight, and it won't come off quickly either.

I like all of this. ^^^ In particular the timeframe goals. Yikes. Those always feel like failure in the making. But you can lose 100 pounds. Definitely. Maybe just not before summer.

Best of luck to you and welcome back.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

72017-bill-and-Ted-excellent-gif-JLyQ.jpeg
  • dlcshow
    dlcshow Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have 219 to lose to get to my goal weight, but I was just talking about the 1st 100. Thanks for your replies.. :)
  • breeshabebe
    breeshabebe Posts: 580
    Options
    14lbs starting off is normal considering alot of that is probably water. I wouldn't COUNT on or get discouraged if you don't lose 7lbs a week-- I wouldn't make that a goal, but in the beginning it's really easy to create a large calorie deficit and lose a bit more starting out. I agree with the person who said 1% of your total body weight a week is a great goal.
  • Buff2022
    Buff2022 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I am proud of you. The year I dropped about 30 pounds in 3 months. I ate well an worked out. I have 20 of those pounds to lose again. I did notice that it is coming off a lot slower.
    I have about 100 to lose right now.

I set goals but I don't freak if I don't make it as long as I worked hard to get there.
  • dlcshow
    dlcshow Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    thank you.
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    Our doctor told my husband that no one should ever eat over 2000 calories, especially when trying to lose weight. He said the only time anyone needs more than that is when they are trying to build muscle. Not sure how anyone feels about that or if he has any idea what he's talking about but, it made sense to me. Just my $.02 worth.
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, but yes you'll lose rapidly for the fisrt month maybe. I lost my first 10 lbs the first week. My husband has lost about 16 lbs and it's been 3 weeks for him.
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    The safe amount to lose in a week is 1% of your body weight. Not a magic 1lb or 2lbs as some people say. That is why it is safe for a larger person to lose more. Also, one should not look at one week. It should be averaged over time. When I lost my first 100 lbs there were some weeks that I lost 5 or more and then the next week none or very little.