Ruined metabolism

Options
I hear/see people saying they have slowed down their metabolism, or "ruined it"

I don't want that to happen to me! Is it due to food or working out? I work out every day, sometimes twice.

I've been at this abouuuuuut 3 months? But I still feel like idk much..

Any tips/things to know about weight loss/metabolism are helpful, thanks!

Replies

• Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I can only speak from my experience. After over two decades of yo-yo dieting, I thought my metabolism would be ruined beyond all repair. But it's not. In fact, as I lost the weight this last time, mostly taking it slow and trying to get nutrients I never even heard of before, it seems better than it was when I was a horribly stressed out, candybar and soda munching college student with too many jobs.

There are diseases and medications that can slow your metabolism down, and as you lose weight it may very well slow down a little, but I found it's not the huge wreck I thought it would be. Of course, I could just be lucky.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    Outside of medical conditions, this very rarely happens. Most of the time when you hear it, it is simple a crutch people are using. Does it happen on extremely low caloric diets that are prolonged for months? Yep, your metabolism slows, your entire body slows, you basically have a built in natural regulator that will force you to burn less energy during the day. It will slow everything down to where you will feel constantly exhausted.

Looking at your diary, don't worry. You have low days and you have high days, you are just fine. It would be time to worry if you took one of your extremely low low calorie days and everyday was like that for months and months on end.

p.s.
    You really do enjoy eating out don't ya?
  • Alyssawinter1221
    Options
    p.s.
    You really do enjoy eating out don't ya?

I'm sure this is supposed to be a dig at me, but tbh, yeah I do! My friends and I go out often. Plus, I really hate cooking.
    Anyway, thanks I guess.