Controlling the appetite

Hi everyone

I was just wondering if anyone else experience a huuuge increase in appetite with cardio workouts? I find I get SO hungry after an intense cardio session which usually means I overeat. Today for example I have eaten nearly 2200 calories and I set myself a 1700 limit for exercise days! (1400 on non-workout days.
I don't even do that much cardio. 2x a week 20minutes HIIT, 2x a week 45minutes of any cardio, usually will do a couple of different things in that time but it's intense. Today I did 45minutes on the treadmill but at different inclines and speeds etc and definitely worked up quite a sweat. I also do 45minutes of weights 4x a week.

But I always find I am in danger of over eating as my appetite is so huge. In december I had 2 and a half weeks off from any exercise with an ankle injury, and had no problems at all sticking to 12-1400 calories a day. In fact some days I ate less just because I was not hungry. I have actually read people's comments on other websites saying they stopped exercising when they wanted to lose the last 10-15lbs for this very reason, that their appetite was just too big and they were taking in too many calories. I still eat well so it's not like I am over eating on junk food but still..how do people get around this problem? I need something to suppress my appetite!

Replies

• DoctahJenn
    DoctahJenn Posts: 616 Member
    First thing - use a HRM to find out how many calories you're burning. One with a chest strap - not just a watch, or whatever you see on the treadmill - because it'll be more accurate. Then find your BMR and set that as your "non workout" day. When you exercise, add the calories you burn to your BMR and eat that much. That way you know you're getting enough food, because it sounds like maybe your goals aren't high enough for the amount of exercise you do.

If all of that isn't working, drink more water and maybe add some protein powder - that one change really helped me not feel hungry when I have a busy week. And make sure you're getting enough sleep - I'm STARVING when I'm not sleeping at least 8 hours every night but working out every day.