How much do I need?

Options
I'm a 5'3 90 pound recovering anorexic who walks like 9 miles a day. Any caloric suggestions? Please, no hate, thanks.

Replies

• Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    I would seriously ask your doctor.

Good luck with your recovery. :smile:
  • fificrazy
    fificrazy Posts: 234
    Options
    You should be meeting a MINIMUM of 2500 calories, everyday, and working your way up to 3000 (or more!) to actually help your body make repairs. You will experience water retention- don't let this freak you out, nor should you mistake it for genuine weight gain. It takes months to put on genuine weight. It's important to keep meeting your minimums despite this until your body reaches it's set weight point and you begin to maintain on the 2500 minimum. An important thing to remember: NO FOODS ARE "BAD" OR "UNHEALTHY" IN RECOVERY. In fact, processed foods are a great choice as they provide easily accessible energy! This also means fibrous fruits and veggies should take a backseat in your diet. Your body doesn't discriminate against energy sources- and energy should come before the rest of the nutritional profile of food right now.

Also, no more exercising. You have the rest of your life to run, lift weights, swim, etc. Right now it's time to relax and let your body make repairs! At 5'3" and 90 lbs and continuing to exercise like that, anorexia is definitely wrecking havoc on your body now and putting you at risk for a slew of issues in the future (ie osteoporosis, infertility, muscle AND intestinal deterioration (imagine that- holes in your stomach, throat and bladder. a heart too weak to beat, a brain too weak to function!), permanent tooth decay, etc (the list really goes on and on) all if you don't address this problem now.But if you haven't already, it's very important to get medical attention- first and foremost- to gauge the damage done in case you're at risk for refeeding syndrome and need medical supervision. You may also want to set up an appointment with a therapist.
  • matt6050
    matt6050 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    fificrazy is right on. I'm also recovering from and ED and the minimum calories per day you should be getting is 2500, moving higher as you go. She is also spot on about the exercise component: if it can be avoided, avoid it! it will make it easier to hit your calorie goals each day and will help your weight restoration go by quicker so you can get back to doing what you love :)

If 2500 calories a day seems like too high a place to start, begin with something close to what you typically eat in a day, and increase it by 200-300 calories every 3-5 days depending on how your body handles the increases in calories; if you find it's tolerating more calories well, increase it, but if you're feeling nauseated or there is a lot of bloating, don't increase your intake until you can eat that amount without any negative side effects.

I know that this is incredibly difficult, but you have my best wishes! :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I would seriously ask your doctor.

Good luck with your recovery. :smile:

this
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    /4 trolling
  • Ulwaz
    Ulwaz Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Minimum for ED recovery is anywhere inbetween 2000-3000 calories!
    Stop walking 9 miles a day, seek some help :(