how to eat all my calories

Options
I am having a difficult time eating all of my calories for the day (even before my exercise calories).

Does anyone have any advice? I am sure this topic has been discussed multiple times, maybe there is a link to one?

MFP is telling me to eat just over 1300 calories a day. I am having a hard time eating that many. I am just not hungry, but am worried about putting my body into starvation mode.

Replies

• crevices
    crevices Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    this is a popular topic on mfp forums but i know exactly how you feel. the only advice id have is try eating less diet-friendly, ex use some extra oil, 2% instead of fat-free, etc. i still have the problem of meeting my calorie goal to maintain and its been months, i usually just add 5+ tablespoons of nut butter to reach my cals and fat :flowerforyou:
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    How did you get fat if 1300 calories are too much for you?
  • janupshaw
    janupshaw Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    You can always go to the "Search" tab & look for prior topics. Peanut butter, nuts, and guacamole are good options to increase your calories.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    Eat real food. Real dressing, real mayo, real nuts, real yogurt, real meat.. the stuff you got fat on, just not as much of it.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    It would be helpful to see your diary, but I'll give some generic suggestions :wink:

Weigh everything you eat (measure liquids). It's very likely you are eating more than you think, which for you is a good thing. But once you know what you're actually eating, it's easier to appropriately meet your goals.

Eat multiple small meals rather than just 3 big meals. Spread those calories out, if it helps.

Avoid "diet" foods, reduced/low fat substitutions, etc. Cook with olive oil (don't overdo it). Use real peanut butter. Sour cream. Butter. Full fat cottage cheese and yogurt instead of fat free (or 2% is okay). Melt cheese over veggies. Add a banana to your morning cereal. Allow yourself to indulge in a treat from time to time. As you add in these calories, you can see which changes you want to keep and which you want to get rid of to balance your calorie needs appropriately.
  • Chickee8586
    Chickee8586 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    You can always go to the "Search" tab & look for prior topics. Peanut butter, nuts, and guacamole are good options to increase your calories.

This!
  • rbcca19
    rbcca19 Posts: 91
    Options
    How did I get fat??

Obviously I have not been eating 1300 calories a day prior to this.
  • rbcca19
    rbcca19 Posts: 91
    Options
    Thank you for the comments. This is all helpful. I will add good calories and fat in.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Ironically, as a former anorexic, I would find it almost impossible to limit myself to 1300 calories...and most of my food is healthy and nutrient dense. I always find it very difficult to understand how people who were obviously eating more to get large in the first place, start counting and suddenly struggle. Sure, healthier food is more filling, but there is no rule to say you have to totally cut out all the foods you ate before. That is just a recipe for disaster and often leads to failure. Nothing wrong with the odd chocolate bar, piece of cake or bowl of ice cream, if you have calories left and have got adequate protein and fat.

For me, I easily meet my goals, which are often 2200 calories + a day, with salmon, greek yoghurt (full fat), avocado, nuts, goat cheese, vegetables, fruits, eggs, sweet potatoes, rice and a bit of chocolate. I am sure you will manage to reach your goal with a bit of planning and experimentation. Good luck.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    This was me last summer - exercise and heat tend to make some people lose their appetites, and I was getting a good helping of both. Get in those calories for the sake of your energy. Can't eat 'em? Then drink 'em. Yes, I just said that.