Lifting & Weigh Loss

Options
While lifting weights as your only exercise and eating at a deficit. How long does it take to lose the belly?

I understand it's different for everyone but when do most people start seeing results?

I'm 23, female, 129 lbs, 1600 cals a day, and lift 4 times a week. I'm aware I'm a healthy weight but I don't look how I want to look.

Also, I've thought about doing C25K (Couch to 5k) because I feel running at least one day a week, (ideally 3) would help with my weight loss but I've read and been told lifting and running long distance go against each other.

Replies

• amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    You can't sopt reduce so who knows when you'll lose your belly? But I'd suggest taking measurements and logging every 2 weeks or so to notice changes in body composition, so measure hips, waist, neck, arms and legs (relaxed) as well as bust.

As for running and lifting going against one another...One compliments teh other to some degree, more muscle will help with decreasing running injuries, give you more power, help with fat loss so help move you faster and give your circulatory system a workout and as your cardio improve you'll be more efficient in general.

I know plenty of runners who lift, I'd strongly suggest not doing both on the same day however but if you MUST run on a lifting day lift first and run a few hours later to give yourself a chance to recover. Reason being that most, if not a good chunk of your glycogen will be used up so when you go out for that run your body will need to recruit some fat for fuel.
  • Krys052490
    Krys052490 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    You can't sopt reduce so who knows when you'll lose your belly? But I'd suggest taking measurements and logging every 2 weeks or so to notice changes in body composition, so measure hips, waist, neck, arms and legs (relaxed) as well as bust.

As for running and lifting going against one another...One compliments teh other to some degree, more muscle will help with decreasing running injuries, give you more power, help with fat loss so help move you faster and give your circulatory system a workout and as your cardio improve you'll be more efficient in general.

I know plenty of runners who lift, I'd strongly suggest not doing both on the same day however but if you MUST run on a lifting day lift first and run a few hours later to give yourself a chance to recover. Reason being that most, if not a good chunk of your glycogen will be used up so when you go out for that run your body will need to recruit some fat for fuel.

I can run one day a week without lifting but I do my an workouts before. I can't wait hours between either. However I can limit to running on upper days. You're last part about using fat for fuel isn't that what I want?
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Also, I've thought about doing C25K (Couch to 5k) because I feel running at least one day a week, (ideally 3) would help with my weight loss but I've read and been told lifting and running long distance go against each other.

CV and resistance training are complementary. Personally I run five times a week and do two resistance sessions.

CV improves endurance, resistance helps my running form and reduces injury risk.

If you use a structured running programme like C25K keep it at 3 sessions PW as its a progressive plan. If you don't build you won't get the benefits.

In terms of session planning, the effect of glycogen depletion impacts on your form. Both disciplines need good form but generally resistance isn't going to deplete as much energy as running will, once you're through the first half of the programme.
  • Krys052490
    Options
    So its okay to lift then go run immediately after? I know its not ideal but it won't hurt. Correct?
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    There's no problem with lifting and then running right afterward.

The only time cardio and lifting aren't both recommended is if you're trying to gain weight, and that's only because the cardio burns extra calories, so you'd need to eat extra calories on top of your surplus to make up for the extra burn. Since you're not trying to gain, go for the extra cardio!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,986 Member
    Options
    I think the 80/20 rule applies here....80% of your results will come from calorie-deficit - so be SURE you are in a calorie deficit! 20% of your results will come from heavy free weight-lifting - so be SURE you are lifting heavy, with proper form, for your capabilities.

BOOM!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    So its okay to lift then go run immediately after? I know its not ideal but it won't hurt. Correct?

No reason not to, the only thing is running form is quite sensitive to fatigue, but if you avoid your leg days then that should be ok.
  • Krys052490
    Options
    Thanks everyone!