Weight training and calories?

Options
I usually do 5 sets of 10 abdominal crunches with 75 pounds of weight after cardio at the gym. but when i add it to my exercise journal, MFP doesn't take out the calories i burned doing that. why is that? is it because you gain muscle weight from it?

Replies

• blumuse
    blumuse Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Someone else just asked about this same thing. I looked it up last week under the HELP section in the FAQs.:

Q. Doesn't strength training burn calories? Why don't you show any calories burned for strength training?

A. Estimating the calories burned from strength training is very difficult because it depends on a variety of factors: how much weight you lifted per repetition, how vigorously you performed that exercise, how much rest you took between sets, etc. Because of this, we do not automatically calculate how many calories you burned from strength training exercises.

However, if you'd like, you can add "Strength training" as a cardio exercise to get a rough estimate of how many calories you burned. Please be aware though that this is definitely a rough estimate and can be fairly inaccurate.
  • ninja250
    Options
    That makes sense

Thanks!