How can I stop thinking about weight loss when I exercise?

Options
I want to exercise so that my body works well.

I focus on food to lose weight.

I find it's very difficult to stop connecting exercise with weight loss, especially when the every machine at the gym has a calorie counter on it. Any tips to stop thinking about weight loss when I exercise?

(It's not that I think about it constantly during exercise. It's just that it's hard for me to exercise without, at some point, considering how many calories I've burned and how that affects my efforts to lose weight.)

Thanks!

Replies

• aqualeo1
    aqualeo1 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I don't really see a problem here. It's helpful to know how many calories you are burning during exercise if you are trying to lose weight. It seems pretty normal to me that your thoughts would go there. It sounds like it's motivating you also so I wouldn't worry about it too much.
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Lift. There's no easy way to judge calories while lifting. And stay off machines with calorie counts if it bothers you that much, go for a run outside instead. But honestly, Seeing the calorie count motivates me a bit because I know i'm doing the work!
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    only do cardio once a week for the next month and focus on heavy lifting... you'll reaklize that the diet is the key and you'll stop doubting it.. proofs in da puddin yo

do it.. prove it
  • rmscjmr
    rmscjmr Posts: 8
    Options
    I don't really see a problem here. It's helpful to know how many calories you are burning during exercise if you are trying to lose weight. It seems pretty normal to me that your thoughts would go there. It sounds like it's motivating you also so I wouldn't worry about it too much.
    Lift. There's no easy way to judge calories while lifting. And stay off machines with calorie counts if it bothers you that much, go for a run outside instead. But honestly, Seeing the calorie count motivates me a bit because I know i'm doing the work!

The problem is that if exercise is so strongly connected to weight loss in my mind, then when I don't lose weight, my first reaction is to be discouraged as opposed to being more determined. I should exercise whether it's helping me lose weight or not. Make sense?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Think about baseball
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    Think about baseball

I've heard that recommendation before, but it was for another activity.