Help me create a workout schedule (no gym)

Options
Hi everyone

I am 5'9 and currently weigh 64.5kg. I use to be really slim and miss my old body. I have never really exercised except for swimming. I do not want to join a gym, I did previously and I didn't like it at all. I am hoping to lose weight and body fat by summer. I just really want to feel healthy again as I gained a lot of weight by over-eating.

So how many times should I work out a week for max result?
HIIT or running or both?
What kind of strength training can I do at home (without weights)
What is some quick and easy breakfast/lunch/dinners I can make?
Do you food-prep? If so, what types of food and how long can you keep it for?

I tried 30 day shred and died of boredom lol not really into fitness videos.

I am so sorry if these sound like dumb questions but I honestly need help. Thank you so much :-)

Replies

• ratchet2
    ratchet2 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I don't do any running, so I cannot answer that question. I do an HIIT of 20 sec / 10 sec of jacks, push ups, squats/military press, lunges, fast feet (just like it sounds), burpees. You do not need to buy weights as there is many items in your home that can work (cans of food, milk jugs, books, etc). You can do strength training with your body weight. Someone else may post more information on this. Just remember to alternate days between cardio and strength training. Also take at least 1 rest day and do stretching.

I hope that this helps.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Find something you like to do and jump in. Google body weight workouts there are some great ones. Check out youtube there are lots for all ranges of fitness.

I think finding what you like doing is most important.
  • lawlorka
    lawlorka Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    You are already in a healthy weight range for your height.

I don't think you need to lose weight, but just lose BF%.

To do this, eat at maintenance (or a very small deficit like 100-200cals) and lift heavy. This will help 'tone' (hate that word) you up and make you look better. You will probably even drop clothes sizes. But ignore the scale. Don't look at it - chances are you will gain weight, but this is not a bad thing. You will look smaller.

I am just finishing up New Rules of Lifting for Women. I highly recommend it. I really enjoyed it and look so much better now than when I started.

Other beginners programmes recommended here are Starting Strength and Stronglifts 5x5.

Don't worry, you won't 'bulk up' - it takes a lot of eating, a lot of protein and a lot of testosterone to bulk up and you have to be trying to do it. It won't happen by accident.

Lift Heavy!

ETA - NROLFW has at home alternatives. And if you can't afford to buy in any equipment, download You are Your Own Gym - this is a great BodyWeight strength training workout
  • nawali91
    nawali91 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Ok, yeah I really want to lose body fat. So is strength training alone (along with eating clean) make me tone up or do I incorporate cardio in there too?
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Checkout fitnessblender.com
  • lawlorka
    lawlorka Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Ok, yeah I really want to lose body fat. So is strength training alone (along with eating clean) make me tone up or do I incorporate cardio in there too?

You don't need to 'eat clean'. I don't eat clean at all - pizza, chocolate etc I just make sure it sticks into your calorie goal.

Cardio is good too (I run and swim) but I do that for fitness and enjoyment and I eat those calories back - its not for weight loss or body composition. So if you enjoy cardio, go ahead, but if not, then its not necessary.

Weight/Strength training and eating at maintenance/slight deficit is all you need. You just need to make sure your weights/strength routine gets progressively harder.
  • kerryradz
    kerryradz Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Bump for ideas, I'm similar stats to OP and equally don't like gyms.