Bathroom scales

Options
So, a month ago I started my second attempt at this. My old school bathroom scale put me at 151lbs. Today I weigh 145lbs on that scale. A couple days ago I got a digital scale and it reads 148.8 today :( I know it's only a couple lbs difference but it still sucks. :(

Replies

• Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    My gym got some new scales a few months ago that had me gaining just over 2kg in a day :laugh: It sucks yes!
  • JeeperChick
    JeeperChick Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    In addition to weighing yourself, you should track your body measurements. If you are losing inches, you are making progress that may not show on the scale. Good luck on your journey :)
  • clairebeth8
    clairebeth8 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I've personally had the same issue. If I weighted myself on one scale, I would almost certainly be different on another scale (at the gym or doctor's office). My approach is to weigh myself first thing in the morning on the same day of the week on the same scale. Assuming the scale isn't really messed up, you can at least see your change week over week.
  • juicymisslucy
    juicymisslucy Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Well, the good thing is I definitely feel better and have more energy. I don't feel like I should log my 145lbs from the old scale though because the digital probably more accurate. The thing that sucks is what's going on in my head....I have lost 6lbs according to one scale but just 2lbs on the new.
  • crispsandwich
    crispsandwich Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I had exactly the same problem - it's gutting ! draw a line under it and use the figure from the ones you are going to use going forward! and remember you are feeling better in yourself

I like nsv like getting into smaller clothes, and try clothes on (skirt in particular) as even when scales not moving inches do! x
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    That is frustrating for sure. I have found that my scale at home weighs a little high. I am always weighing myself on other scales, at friends & family's homes or out in public (like if a scale is on display for sale) to ensure that my home scale isn't weighing LOW...that is my main concern. I'd honestly prefer to think I weighed 191 and actually weigh 188, than the other way around ;-)
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    My doctors scale weighs me 4 lbs over what I actually am.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Quit weighing yourself every day, or do a rolling average.
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    Well, the good thing is I definitely feel better and have more energy. I don't feel like I should log my 145lbs from the old scale though because the digital probably more accurate. The thing that sucks is what's going on in my head....I have lost 6lbs according to one scale but just 2lbs on the new.

But you're losing, that's what counts!
  • breeshabebe
    breeshabebe Posts: 580
    Options
    Man! At least now you know! I've done that at a gym where they didn't have a digital scale. I was so excited to lose 3lbs, only to realize I didn't lose any.
  • eslcity
    eslcity Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday... but I don't worry about log it in until Friday.. remember it isn't about weight as much as it is about being healthy..

remember losing weight is something that will take alot of time..

One example would be it is kind of like the stock markets... sure every once in awhile you will lose money on a stock.. but what really matters is what it is worth in 20 years.... So if you gain 4pounds... but in one year you lose 30lbs... you still win.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    The thing is...it's the same weight. If you would have weighed yourself on both scales all along - they would have been off by the same 2 pounds all along. Your body out here in the real world still has the same composition as it did.
  • juicymisslucy
    Options
    The thing is...it's the same weight. If you would have weighed yourself on both scales all along - they would have been off by the same 2 pounds all along. Your body out here in the real world still has the same composition as it did.

I understand what you are saying. However, I would much rather see 145lbs than 148.8lbs. :) Have a great Friday! :):smile:
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Can you recalibrate the scale?
  • shmulyeng
    shmulyeng Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I absolutely refuse to step on any scale other than the one I use at home.
  • Erinelda
    Erinelda Posts: 96
    Options
    You still lost those pounds lol. You were just bigger than you thought to start :p..
  • odietwo
    odietwo Posts: 1
    Options
    I weight myself on 2 scales and take the average. It's ususally out by .4 pounds.
  • stormyxpony
    stormyxpony Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I absolutely refuse to step on any scale other than the one I use at home.

Same here but I have a doctor's appt April 3rd and mom is making me weigh in.
  • DoctahJenn
    DoctahJenn Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    As a general rule, I have a scale in my bathroom. It stays in exactly the same spot, I only step on it naked first thing in the morning after I pee, and that's what I use to track. Whether or not it's accurate doesn't matter so much as seeing exactly what sort of progress I'm making. And I only log it if I get the same number two or three days in a row. (And NEVER during hormonal weight gain, which is like, two weeks before TOM starts. Ugh!)

All that being said, I have a doctor appointment today, and I'm going to have to see my "real" weight, though admittedly in clothes and with food and water in me. And I do not look forward to it. Not one bit. I'm 138, darnit! My goal is to have my upcoming three-pound weight gain from hormones be the last time I ever see myself in the 140's, and I don't want to see it today at the doctor. :P
  • juicymisslucy
    Options
    It just sucks when you think you are within the bmi for "average" and you get in that mind frame...then you step on the digital and you are STILL overweight. ugh.