Exhausted from my routine

Options
So I have started a exercise routine over the past three weeks, I do CrossFit three mornings a week (I'm up at 4.50am for the 6am class I use public transport) I always get at least 6.5hours sleep before these. I walk home from work Mon, Weds, Fri and walk to work Tues, Thurs (it's 3.2miles/5km). I run home from work Tues and I do a Zumba class on a Thursday evening and walk home (it's about 1.5miles to Zumba, maybe a little more home from there) and on a Saturday I run a mile to the gym and do a 70min Hatha Yoga class (I walk/crawl back lol).

I thought after three weeks my body would be used to it, but I am so tired by Friday afternoon, I am half asleep at my desk, will I eventually adjust or should I cut something out? My diary is open, I'm not a clean eater or anything, I drink, I eat cake, I am vegetarian and for the first time today I had a protein shake to try and stop myself from snacking so much (I found myself eating to keep myself awake last week).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

N.B

Please do not use this post as a reason to hate on CrossFit - I really don't care what other people think, I have only said what it is so people have an idea of workout intensity.

Replies

• KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Try eating back more of your exercise calories, your intake looks quite low based on how active you are.

Your protein is also very low some days.
  • JodaNord
    JodaNord Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I agree.. I would say you need to up your protein and calorie intake to account for all the activity!
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Exhausted from Zumba? Really?
  • brosis85
    brosis85 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I would definitely agree! Eat back more of your calories! A great way to eat on the fly ( before a workout or after) is to have a shaker cup and protein near by all the time! That will keep you fueled with good calories and lots of protein which will help your workouts :)

A good post workout recover tip is 250mls of chocolate milk. It will help your muscles (and body) recover from such intense workouts!

Good luck!
  • Samenamenewlook
    Samenamenewlook Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Exhausted from Zumba? Really?

You're kidding right?

I definitely read that she's doing a lot more than that. OP, eating some of those exercise calories back may help. Also, asking a CrossFit trainer at your gym may help. They usually have good ideas about what gets you through a workout and how best to recover.
  • janetay01
    janetay01 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    That's a lot of exercise on top of everyday life and I would agree with the other posters that you need to be eating back more of your calories and increasing your protein. I've read somewhere that the protein limit on MFP is set very low so if you are eating far less - and the last few days of your diary look low on protein - then you may need to up your intake. Good luck :)
  • SarahxApple
    SarahxApple Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    @eldamiano lol not so much exhausted from Zumba - I am tiring towards the end of the week though.

Thanks @JodaNord and @KarenJanine I thought it might be something as simple as that but was wondering if there was anything else I could be doing. I do struggle with Protein, hence the introduction of a protein shake and I bought chia seeds recently going to figure something nice to do with them.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    That's a lot of activity so my advice would be to either cut down on activity or increase your intake. Paying attention to your macros can also contribute to how you feel overall. In no way am I saying that you have to eat 100% clean, but quality calories generally contribute better overall to individuals who are very active.
  • lambchristie
    lambchristie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    @eldamiano lol not so much exhausted from Zumba - I am tiring towards the end of the week though.

Thanks @JodaNord and @KarenJanine I thought it might be something as simple as that but was wondering if there was anything else I could be doing. I do struggle with Protein, hence the introduction of a protein shake and I bought chia seeds recently going to figure something nice to do with them.

Add chia seeds into just about anything you eat. Cereal, salad, yogurt, eggs, etc. They have no flavor and just kinda take on what you put them in. Keep them on the counter so you'll remember to actually use them. LOL.

I think you need to cut down on some of your workout routine as it doesn't sound like you are giving your body recovery time.
    Walking/running to work and the gym, 6.5 hrs a sleep, work, then working out. When do you actually rest, relax, refresh, and renew yourself?
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options

Also, just as an FYI, protein does not contribute to energy however it contributes to muscle recovery and repair :smile:
  • SarahxApple
    SarahxApple Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys for your comments and advice I do have a rest day Sunday and Saturday is not very strenuous, I will take a look at my protein and complex carbs and perhaps increase my calories.