Felt momentarily light-headed after strength training

This morning, I was finishing up my upper body strength training reps, and at the end I really pushed myself doing some bench presses. I got a little light-headed at the end. I said something about getting a little dizzy to another guy at the gym, and he said it's either anemia or not enough calories. He said just don't pass out. I said I didn't think I would, because I felt fine after that one moment. I finished up one more set of exercises. I felt fine afterward.

I got similar sensations, except worse, doing a HIIT routine recently, but I chocked that up to bending over constantly during some of the workouts.

Anyone else experience anything like this?

Replies

• Whyareyoumad
    Whyareyoumad Posts: 268 Member
    I have felt this before, usually after doing something really strenuous. For some reason its the kettle balls that do that to me.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Could be a few different things or even a combination of them - low blood sugar, dehydration, high/low blood pressure, fluid in sinus/ear, etc Are you eating before working out and eating enough calories in general? Are you staying well hydrated?

Pay close attention to when it happens, maybe even add a note in your exercise log to keep track. If it happens again, I'd strongly suggest checking with your doctor.
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    for me its holding my breath, make sure you take a deep breath when the bar goes down and blow out when you push the bar up
  • DavidSTC
    DavidSTC Posts: 173 Member
    Could be a few different things or even a combination of them - low blood sugar, dehydration, high/low blood pressure, fluid in sinus/ear, etc Are you eating before working out and eating enough calories in general? Are you staying well hydrated?

Pay close attention to when it happens, maybe even add a note in your exercise log to keep track. If it happens again, I'd strongly suggest checking with your doctor.

I'm trying the TDEE method, and have myself at what I believe to be 15% less than my daily energy expenditure. I feel fine most of the time. I've recently had my blood work done, and everything was fine. I ate a little more breakfast than normal, more than 400 calories from a banana, greek yogurt and granola. I drink a lot of water, and feel like I'm hydrated. After working out and stretching, I shot around on the basketball court for 20 minutes and felt great in general.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Low blood sugar
    Low or high blood pressure
    Dehydration
    Holding your breath

What is your age? Height? Weight? How many calories are you eating?
  • ironrat79
    ironrat79 Posts: 273 Member
    I get this occasionally as well...I chalk it up to over exerting myself. Be careful though.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    It's possible that, if you were straining, you restricted blood flow to certain areas as it rushed to areas you were working. Or perhaps you were holding your breath or something like that? If your brain momentarily was short on oxygen for either reason, it could cause dizziness. Make sure that you have a spotter when lifting things that are difficult, and make sure you breath properly.

If it continues to happen, though, it would be worth it to get checked out.
  • DavidSTC
    Low blood sugar
    Dehydration
    Holding your breath

It's possible it was breathing related. I have to make sure I breathe, for sure.
  • DavidSTC
    It's possible that, if you were straining, you restricted blood flow to certain areas as it rushed to areas you were working. Or perhaps you were holding your breath or something like that? If your brain momentarily was short on oxygen for either reason, it could cause dizziness. Make sure that you have a spotter when lifting things that are difficult, and make sure you breath properly.

If it continues to happen, though, it would be worth it to get checked out.

I will definitely pay more attention to my breathing pattern. I'm usually pretty good, but I was straining at the end, and maybe I was holding my breath. I'm not sure.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Happens to me frequently after a set of deadlifts. Watching my breathing really helps.
  • DavidSTC
    I'm 5-foot-5, 151 pounds with a goal weight of 140 pounds. I'm eating about 2,000 calories per day right now and am trying to get at least an hour of activity daily, with half of that at least moderate intensity. I do a mix of cardio and strength training, stay active as a basketball and now baseball coach for my son's teams. I have done well losing consistently, and I just don't feel like I'm under-eating.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    I have. It's almost always food-related for me, especially when I've tried HIIT. I usually do my lifting in the late afternoons/evenings, so I try to make sure I eat some carbs about 1.5 hours before I workout. Some oatmeal works well. I haven't had any issues since trying that. Of course I've stopped doing HIIT because I hate it, so that may have helped too.
  • DavidSTC
    I have. It's almost always food-related for me, especially when I've tried HIIT. I usually do my lifting in the late afternoons/evenings, so I try to make sure I eat some carbs about 1.5 hours before I workout. Some oatmeal works well. I haven't had any issues since trying that. Of course I've stopped doing HIIT because I hate it, so that may have helped too.

Yeah, I don't know if I'm doing the HIIT again. I can stay active without feeling like I'm going to die. :happy:
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Happens to me when i am pushing my limits, and kettlebells. Apparently, I forget to BREATH.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Low blood sugar
    Dehydration
    Holding your breath

most often for me it's the "I'm doing something really difficult and holding my breath" issue- for almost everyone it's an issue- holding one's breath is a huge issue that a lot of people forget to remember about.
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Hapens to me all the time. I tend to hold my breath. I just make sure to breath and I drink my protein shake as I'm working out so that I don't get dehydrated and I get calories as I'm working out. Two important things to remember, remember to breath and remember to look away (if you're in front of a computer all day). :-)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,940 Member
    This morning, I was finishing up my upper body strength training reps, and at the end I really pushed myself doing some bench presses. I got a little light-headed at the end. I said something about getting a little dizzy to another guy at the gym, and he said it's either anemia or not enough calories. He said just don't pass out. I said I didn't think I would, because I felt fine after that one moment. I finished up one more set of exercises. I felt fine afterward.

I got similar sensations, except worse, doing a HIIT routine recently, but I chocked that up to bending over constantly during some of the workouts.

Anyone else experience anything like this?
    Other things can affect you too. Low BP, incorrect breathing technique, and fatigue to name a few.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    I have that problem sometimes. I had thought it was related to a head-injury last year, but I suspect it's breathing-related, in reality. Do keep track of it, though - if it doesn't improve with watching your breathing, definitely an issue to take up with your doctor.
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Are you on any hypertension medicine? If you've lost a lot of weight, maybe you need to adjust the dosage. Your blood pressure might be too low. Good luck.
  • DavidSTC
    Are you on any hypertension medicine? If you've lost a lot of weight, maybe you need to adjust the dosage. Your blood pressure might be too low. Good luck.

No. I'm lucky to be on no meds.