ALWAYS WEAR SUNSCREEN! (runners and skin cancer)

Options
Five years ago I got a really bad sunburn on my face because I was swimming at the beach and didn't bother reapplying sunscreen. Also around that time I spent some time in tanning beds. STUPID IDEA!!

Fast forward to this February, I went to the dermatologist for a biopsy on a suspicious mole right along my hair line on my forehead. I finally got the results yesterday and it is/was skin cancer.

The good news is it's not melanoma. It's just a little basal cell carcinoma and they removed all of it.

The bad news is there's a good chance of it coming back over and over for the rest of my life and I'll have to get skin checks by the dermatologist every six months until it's cleared up and every year after that.

I spend a lot of time outside in the sun whenever I can just because I love being outside. I go running, dog-walking, hanging out at the beach or park, etc. Since that bad sunburn at the beach five years ago, I've worn sunscreen (at least on my face) every day. And I still got a little skin cancer.

If you're a runner or if you just spend a lot of time outside in general... ALWAYS WEAR SUNSCREEN!! I had NO IDEA how common basal cell carcinoma was! Why aren't more people talking about this???

And I hope this goes without saying, but never ever ever use a tanning bed. Your chance of skin cancer increases 75% if you do. It's not worth it.

I'm curious because it's apparently so common... How many of you have also had skin cancer? (Melanoma or just a little basal cell carcinoma?)

Skin cancer is the most common form of cancer in the United States. More than 3.5 million skin cancers in over two million people are diagnosed annually.1

Each year there are more new cases of skin cancer than the combined incidence of cancers of the breast, prostate, lung and colon.2

Treatment of nonmelanoma skin cancers increased by nearly 77 percent between 1992 and 2006.1

Over the past three decades, more people have had skin cancer than all other cancers combined.3

One in five Americans will develop skin cancer in the course of a lifetime.5

Source: http://www.skincancer.org/skin-cancer-information/skin-cancer-facts

Runners and Skin Cancer: http://www.stopcancerfund.org/events/running-and-skin-cancer-prevention/

Replies

• trail_rnr
    trail_rnr Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    It's not just runners. Cyclists, walkers, equestrians, boaters...the list is pretty long.

I spent my entire childhood in the sun, back in the time before sunscreen. I have had 3 BCC and one squamous cell carcinoma removed. You better believe it's changed my sun behavior. I am outside a lot and hope to be for many more years.

If there was one thing I could tell young people and I had assurance that they would listen, that would be to wear sunscreen on anything that is exposed every day. No exceptions. Melanoma can kill you.
  • dream_big
    dream_big Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I had a mole removed from my arm about a month ago, just got the results back that it was indeed melanoma. Have to go back and have more skin removed around where it was. Luckily it was in the early stages so that should be all I need done (this time) I was a very reckless tanner. Never in tanning beds but spent my whole summer lying outside and instead of sunscreen used tanning lotions/oils and reapplied often. Those days are done. You always think "it's not going to happen to me" but it can. And a cancer diagnosis is something NOBODY wants!
  • TAMayorga
    TAMayorga Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I did the stupid tanning thing when I was a teenager in the 80's. Now I'm paying the price with BCCs being periodically removed from various areas of my arms and face. Last fall I discovered running. The only time I have to work out is at lunch. I work in a very windy area, so I can't wear a cap/hat. This spring (summer, really) I have been slathering on sunscreen. Last weekend I noticed that I am developing a noticeable tan! :noway: Obviously there's a problem with my sunscreen? So I found this thread when I searched "sunscreens" to see if I could get any recommendations.