How can I force myself to like cardio?

Options
Ive been lifting (which I LOVE) and only doing cardio about once or twice a week (which I absolutely HATE!) Asthma is what makes it hard for me :/ Any tips for making it enjoyable?

Replies

• ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I don't know how about the role asthma plays so I can't comment on that. But I find that for some cardio means 45 minutes on the elliptical and I find that soul crushing. On the other hand, I LOVE group exercise classes and really love running outdoors. I also like recreational cardio - cross country skiing and snowshoeing in the winter, hiking in the summer.

I guess for me, lifting is something I do whether I'm feeling like it or not - I know it's important. (and usually I love doing it). Cardio is something I don't believe in suffering through. I like it or I don't do it. Luckily, there is a lot I like :)
  • theJTfitness
    theJTfitness Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of cardio either, but I do it. I don't like the cardio but I like the results.I don't know if you like this kind of thing, but you could try to get an audiobook and ONLY listen to it when you do cardio. Make that the rule. Come across some interesting chapters and cliffhangers and you'll be running marathons in no time!

As for the asthma thing, I don't know much about it so I won't try to answer that one.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Ive been lifting (which I LOVE) and only doing cardio about once or twice a week (which I absolutely HATE!) Asthma is what makes it hard for me :/ Any tips for making it enjoyable?

What do you describe as cardio?

For me anything on the hamster wheels inside a gym is absolute purgatory, but I'm quite happy running or cycling. Weight training on the other hand bores me to tears, with all the hanging about between sets.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    The best way to enjoy cardio is to do it outside! Running for very long on a treadmill can be excruciating. I actually do intervals when I'm on the treadmill just to break up the monotony. But I could run outside all day without getting bored.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Go hiking, play outside, play with kids/dogs. It doesn't matter the intensity that much (easy and moderate with only occasional full effort bursts is great), just the more time you spend not sitting is a win. I don't understand why so many people think exercise needs to be so scheduled or only occur in a gym or on a treadmill. Boring (for me).
  • Clash1001
    Clash1001 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I can't stand using the machines at the gym.

I hike, dance, walk, run, swim and cycle. Much more fun than pounding on a treadmill - even in the rain!
  • DavidSTC
    DavidSTC Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I know someone who has asthma who found the right asthma treatment. She used to just do strength training. Now, she's teaching cardio with inhaler in hand.

If you don't like cardio just because you don't like doing the same activity (jogging, elliptical, etc.) over and over, or doing group classes, try to find a variety of stuff to do. I search the Internet for workouts and ideas. Is there a sport you like to play? Try to be creative.
  • phatguerilla
    phatguerilla Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I also have asthma. If you feel that its causing a problem then first thing would be to get that under control, make sure you're using your inhaler before exercise if you feel tight, etc. Avoid anything that triggers your asthma, especially foods.
    There are also lung exercisers you can get that provide resistance when you breathe through them (NOT masks that supposedly mimic high altitude training, those are muck). I've used a powerbreathe trainer in the past and found it helpful but that's up to each individual.

Second thing would be finding a form of cardio that you don't find soul destroying. Whether that's a machine in the gym or something outdoors doesn't matter, but make it something you don't feel you're forcing yourself to do. I don't swim but apparently it reduces the symptoms of asthma and increases lung capacity more than running so that would be a really good choice.

Don't overdo it especially at the start, this is a quick way to hating cardio. You should still feel good when you finish basically. Same goes for speed/resistance settings.

Maybe find something to distract yourself with while doing cardio, whether that's podcasts, music, tv even books, especially at the start the effort exerted is probably not as important as getting into the pattern of doing cardio regularly.
  • Spooky_Scully
    Spooky_Scully Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Do you use a preventer as well as a bronchodilator? If your asthma makes it hard, talk to your doctor about a management plan.

Personally, I love my cardio….but didn't always. I was SO unfit when I started, so I struggled a bit. But now its just a part of my workout routine, along with lifting. But I have to mix it up a bit so that I don't get bored - jogging, gym, boxing, classes, swimming, dancing, etc etc.
  • SarahxApple
    SarahxApple Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Swimming is good cardio for asthmatics, you just need to find something you enjoy,. Run around an adventure playground, go hiking, take a walk.
  • antxoable
    antxoable Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I also hate cardio, so i do my strength training at the gym and then I do a zumba class a week which i love and walk to work everyday, 30 mins. Sometimes i do star jumps and jump squats between sets just to up my heart beat and then rest a bit more…thats my own HIIT. lol
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Do something you like doing!

Softball
    Soccer
    Hiking
    Snow Shoeing
    Swimming
    Climbing trees

Basically anything you find fun and don't think of as cardio.
  • ToraChan2310
    Options
    I attend college outside of my hometown, so I use cardio to get familiar with the new city I'm in. Doing cardio outisde in different areas adds variety to your workout, rather thn being a gerbil on a treadmill.
  • nik_nak_1983
    Options
    i am not a cardio fan, but I find that circuit training is great for me as it combines cardio and strength and each rep is only 45 seconds so manageable and you dont get a chance to get boared before you move onto the next station!
  • TashaSis
    TashaSis Posts: 1
    Options
    Have you tried low impact cardio while strength training? I do Jilian Michaels tapes. She doesn't do a bunch of cardio, but works in a little while doing weights, lunges, etc.
  • Krys052490
    Krys052490 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I really really dispise cardio however I kinda like it now.

I do interval sessions on the elliptical. I watch my strides perinute and watch HULU on my phone. It works wonders. I was surprised at how easy it was to multitask.

I've also started running. I'm using an app called c25k. Its couch to 5k. I like it and I hate running
    I usually just pick some music and my time is up before I know it!
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    As far as asthma goes: mine improved tremendously just by running. It takes time, though (for me, a few months af 3-4x/week, 30 min sessions of C25K). I only need my inhaler running outside whe it's cold now, FWIW.
  • akpete88
    akpete88 Posts: 5
    Options
    Have you tried putting your treadmill in front of your refrigerator! HAHAHA!
  • ayamagali
    ayamagali Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I, too, adore running outdoors! Since I'm coming back to it, I started small, with short run intervals and longer walk intervals, extending the run time and decreasing the walk time each week. I've noticed a VAST improvement in my lungs around week 3 or 4! Occasionally, I'll find my breathing getting to danger level and force myself to slow it down and try to remain calm (panicking about my breathing can also trigger an attack). I have repeated a week when I didn't feel quite "solid" on it, and that benifitted me greatly. By the end of the second week on that level, it was a cake walk and I was so ready and excited to "ramp it up" again.
    Anywho, I don't know how bad your asthma is, but for me, taking it slow and being cautious and aware has resulted in zero attacks :)
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    By finding something that you like to do... My preferred cardio is dancing/zumba/etc, hiking/climbing comes in second.... I loathe running... and if it's on a treadmill I would rather die...