Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

sticker shock

I was getting depressed about how slow the number were moving on the scale - so I stopped weighing myself thinking I would be better off simply monitoring my food and exercise and the weight will fall where it will. I did this for about five months. For me, this was a mistake! I had to go in for surgery, stepped on the scale and forgot to close my eyes. Ouch and double ouch.

So, I can choose to be depressed that I weigh almost the most I ever have, or I can choose to face the music once a week and keep track. I have seen the importance of not only counting calories and exercise, but using this as a weigh of measuring, - literally - my my progress.

I just post this as public confessional. I know there's no shaming here but I feel like i need to make some kind of statement to kick off my journey.......again. It has been a daily struggle since I turned forty and started sitting at the computer every day for wok. But I read the success stories board and got inspired. So onward and, hopefully, this time, downward.

Replies

• fourluvbugs
    fourluvbugs Posts: 194 Member
    Good for you! I think this journey requires a regular recommitment to ourselves and our future. So you had a setback. It happens. Now you are learning from that and moving forward. Hooray! I also have a desk sitting job and am a young 40 something, so I definitely appreciate the additional challenge that adds. At the same time though, you can succeed (and I can succeed!) as long as the commitment and follow through are there.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Good for you for getting the motivation to get going again! I need that weekly weigh in to keep me on track, no matter how much it may hurt or how much I may want to bury my head in the sand. Ignorance is bliss, right? I have been maintaining now for over 2 years but I still do a weekly weigh in so my weight doesn't start slowly creeping up on me.
  • caarsen
    caarsen Posts: 31 Member
    Thanks for the motivation, people. I used to get so depressed weighing myself and seeing so little progress that was why I quit, but I've made the decision to log more regularly, move more often and be patient. Because little progress downward is better than more upward.
  • Tashamarie55
    Tashamarie55 Posts: 17 Member
    Because little progress downward is better than more upward.

^ I think I am going to add this to my list of favorite weight loss quotes. So true! Good for you for getting back on track! :)
  • SharonNehring
    SharonNehring Posts: 535 Member
    You can do this! I tell myself that every day. I CAN do this! I'm also a 40 something female,who works at a computer all day. Luckily I have a private office, so during the day I stretch, do desk push ups, leg lifts, a couple of yoga poses etc. These 5 min mini breaks gets me up and moving a little and every bit counts.
  • KillaKermie
    KillaKermie Posts: 8 Member
    Because little progress downward is better than more upward.

Love that quote! I only weigh myself once a week but I measure myself to give myself a true understanding of losing (: