Not sure what to eat to get to 1400 calories

Options
I live a lower carb, lower calorie lifestyle. My biggest dilema is, by the time I am done my exercise for the day, I am in the negative. What can I eat, that is lower carb....lower in sodium, to make up some of the calories that I burned with exercise?

Replies

• RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I'm confused. Are you over or under your calories?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    how much exercise do you do to put yoruself in a negative calorie? or how little do you eat to end up there?

What can you eat? whatever you want...you shouldn't be in a negative calorie count...
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Eat some nuts, or full fat dairy.

EDIT: She is probably getting several hundred cal burnss in workouts and its putting her NET CAL number below 1200 or 1400. So she needs to find ways to eat more of her exercise calories...
  • gringuitica
    gringuitica Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Seems like you're saying you're consuming too few calories. Fats will help: sauté some veggies in oil, nosh on some peanut butter, or whip up some flourless brownies. You'll hit your target easily.
  • NJGmywholewrld
    NJGmywholewrld Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I guess what I mean by the negative is, my net calories for the day as of right now, with my dinner already put in, is -301. That is way too low. That I know. I do a lot of swimming as my main form of exercise. In all honesty, I am not hungry enough to eat that many calories.
  • ellenmg
    ellenmg Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm still confused. What do you eat & what exercises do you do in a given day? Could you share like yesterday with us?
  • shutyourpieholeandsquat
    shutyourpieholeandsquat Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Open your diary so we can understand
  • skingszoo
    skingszoo Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Yes, please!
  • Fit_Fox88
    Fit_Fox88 Posts: 410 Member
    Options

This...
  • snappyapples
    Options
    Can you open your diary for us? It'll be easier to give feedback.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    If, with dinner put in, you're at -301, I'd say you can eat whatever the hell you want. Assuming accurate logging of food and exercise up to that point.
  • hdelamore
    hdelamore Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Cheese and peanuts (dry roasted if you want less sodium) ! I'm on low-carb and I always have to have peanuts & cheese to up my calories.
    Also beef mince- higher in calories then other meats :)
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    In. :huh:
  • blueboxgeek
    blueboxgeek Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Can you open your diary so people can see what you are eating and give people an idea of what exercise you are doing and how you are calculating the calorie burn?

If you haven't eaten much but have exercised a lot I don't think it's a major problem that you are currently in negative numbers.... as long as you eat plenty later to give you a good healthy number of calories for the day. A lot of people work out first thing in the morning before eating a great deal.

If you like a low carb diet add in some fats to increase calories. Avocados, nuts, cheese, whole eggs, peanut butter, use coconut oil to cook with. Lots of options without having to have a massive increase in the volume of food.

If you offer up a bit more details I am sure you will plenty more help.
  • DeliriumCanBeFun
    DeliriumCanBeFun Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    If, with dinner put in, you're at -301, I'd say you can eat whatever the hell you want. Assuming accurate logging of food and exercise up to that point.
    This!!
    Although I wonder if you're logging your exercise calories. My calorie goal is also set at 1400. When I have long ride days and burn more than than in exercise, I have no problem eating all my calories back. I just get to eat stuff I stay away from on off days or just more of my regular menu.
  • DeliriumCanBeFun
    DeliriumCanBeFun Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Really?!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I suspect your exercise count might be high.

That said, with low carb it's going to be fat and protein-- think sausage, any kind of pork really, real butter, cream sauces, nuts, avocado, etc.

eta: CHEESE! How could I have forgotten cheese?
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    If you want to go lower carb, you need to go higher protein/fat:

Chicken with the skin
    Steak
    Cheese
    Whole eggs (including deviled eggs, egg salad)
    Full fat dairy (including cottage cheese, yogurt)
    Peanut butter or other nut butters
    Nuts
    Avocado
    Salmon
    Olive oil
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Really?!

Yep....really!!
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    If you want to go lower carb, you need to go higher protein/fat:

Chicken with the skin
    Steak
    Cheese
    Whole eggs (including deviled eggs, egg salad)
    Full fat dairy (including cottage cheese, yogurt)
    Peanut butter or other nut butters
    Nuts
    Avocado
    Salmon
    Olive oil

Basically a lot of stuff the rest of us would be really really happy to eat for you.

Salmon with a creamy dill sauce and asparagus wrapped in bacon then cooked in olive oil and spices? Sounds pretty awesome.