Fasting?

2»

Replies

• Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    So 5:2 doesn't make your body go into "starvation mode"? That is one of my concerns...I'm not even sure if your body does that unless it undergoes major food restriction...

Ask the millions of people in the world currently emaciated and starving to death what they think about "starvation mode".

It's a myth (the popular understanding of it in the dieting world).
  • JonnyQwest
    JonnyQwest Posts: 174 Member
    Intermittent fasting is great.....it really should not be called fasting at all because it makes it sound extreme.....it is by far the easiest way to diet.....u basically just choose an 8 hour window every 24 hours to eat. My window is 3 to 11 but sometimes I will even condense it down to 6 hours. I find I am even less hungry this way.....when I am not eating I don't think about it. When I am able to eat during my window, I feel more satisfied because I am eating all of my calories in a couple of meals a day rather than eating a bunch of small meals throughout the day that leave you hungry and wanting to eat all the time. I do this during the week and then the weekends I will switch it up and eat a little more and on a regular schedule. It's working great!
  • JonnyQwest
    JonnyQwest Posts: 174 Member
    So 5:2 doesn't make your body go into "starvation mode"? That is one of my concerns...I'm not even sure if your body does that unless it undergoes major food restriction...

Ask the millions of people in the world currently emaciated and starving to death what they think about "starvation mode".

Starvation mode is not a myth but perhaps it should be called something else......it's basically just your body becoming more efficient at basic metabolic functions after prolonged restriction of calories in order to preserve itself. The body does not understand that you are dieting for health, it is planning for the future and is trying to ensure survival. It happens to me every time I have ever dieted very strict....this time around my resting HR went into the mid 40's!!, my BP went down to about 110/65 and my body temperature went down to 96.5.....so yeah, it's definitely real!!
    Comparing it to people that are truly starving is ridiculous because yes, of course your body will eventually become emaciated and you will die from lack of food.....that has nothing to do with your body becoming more efficient at its normal functions under restricted calories thereby making it harder to lose further weight because it needs less calories than normal....kind of common sensical if you think about it.
    That being said, it's not something to freak about.....I simply changed up my diet by slowly increasing calories and mixing in a couple of cheat meals over the course of a week...I also stopped almost all cardio and went heavy on the weight training and voila, the switch has been turned back on and the weight is falling off again. The moral of the story is that it's important to switch it up diet and exercise wise to keep your body guessing.....if not, it will adjust to your routine and make it more difficult to reach your goals.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member

Starvation mode is not a myth but perhaps it should be called something else......it's basically just your body becoming more efficient at basic metabolic functions after prolonged restriction of calories in order to preserve itself. The body does not understand that you are dieting for health, it is planning for the future and is trying to ensure survival. It happens to me every time I have ever dieted very strict....this time around my resting HR went into the mid 40's!!, my BP went down to about 110/65 and my body temperature went down to 96.5.....so yeah, it's definitely real!!
    Comparing it to people that are truly starving is ridiculous because yes, of course your body will eventually become emaciated and you will die from lack of food.....that has nothing to do with your body becoming more efficient at its normal functions under restricted calories thereby making it harder to lose further weight because it needs less calories than normal....kind of common sensical if you think about it.
    That being said, it's not something to freak about.....I simply changed up my diet by slowly increasing calories and mixing in a couple of cheat meals over the course of a week...I also stopped almost all cardio and went heavy on the weight training and voila, the switch has been turned back on and the weight is falling off again. The moral of the story is that it's important to switch it up diet and exercise wise to keep your body guessing.....if not, it will adjust to your routine and make it more difficult to reach your goals.

Hence the "the popular understanding of it in the dieting world" part of my post.
  • erialcelyob
    erialcelyob Posts: 341 Member
    I wouldn't I like food too much