FAT TAKES UP LESS SPACE THAN MUSCELS ?!?!

Options
alright y'all hears the deal I lost 1 1/2 inches off my booty but I gained a pant size :noway: how that is possible I don't know??? I was in size 8 now im in size 10 :mad: what the heck ??? i'm thinking muscel takes more space I weigh 185 an im 5'7 but its evenly placed fat every where all over :ohwell: most people think I weigh 150 but I know the real number good lord how am I supposed to workout without growing my booty any insight on a non-booty growing workout would be awesome :happy:

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    no

if you don't want a nice perky bum don't do squats

or try a different brand of pant...old navy has great jeans sweetheart style that fit girls with bums and smaller waists that's what I usually buy there...
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Nope, sorry, it's the opposite. Fat takes up more space than muscle.

Sizes vary from store to store, brand to brand, and sometimes even within the same brand. Just because you wear an 8 in one specific pair of pants doesn't mean you can wear an 8 in a pants.

If you're losing inches that's all that matters, your pant size be damned.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Wait how does that even make sense? You lost inches so how is muscle taking up more space? It's an absolute fact that muscle takes up less room than fat.

Further to what's been said above - hell, I've seen sizes even vary within brands and styles if they're a slightly different color.

You know you're losing inches so don't let the size bother you. I've got jeans that range from size 10 to size 14 and they all fit about the same.
  • asdelmonte
    asdelmonte Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    No, muscle definitely takes up less space than fat.

What you are experiencing is that the fat, although it takes up more space, is also more malleable. So when you pull your jeans up, the excess fat on your butt is pressed into spaces it really shouldn't be in order to make the jeans fit you. When you have a nice, perky, muscular but, everything stays where it belongs.

edited for poor typing skills.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    I think it has been proven that a 6" cube of muscle is the same size as a 6" cube of fat. - fact

Oops sorry thought I was in a lb of muscle weights the same as a lb of fat thread!

Muscle is more dense and lb for lb takes up less room.:smile:
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    They weigh the same
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    You do realize that if you actually did lose inches it's impossible for you to go up a pants size, because you lost size, right?
  • bagge72
    Options
    alright y'all hears the deal I lost 1 1/2 inches off my booty but I gained a pant size :noway: how that is possible I don't know??? I was in size 8 now im in size 10 :mad: what the heck ??? i'm thinking muscel takes more space I weigh 185 an im 5'7 but its evenly placed fat every where all over :ohwell: most people think I weigh 150 but I know the real number good lord how am I supposed to workout without growing my booty any insight on a non-booty growing workout would be awesome :happy:

Also if you people think you look 150 but you are 185 that also goes along with the fact that a pound of muscle takes up less space then a pound of fat.
  • easjer
    easjer Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    You do realize that if you actually did lose inches it's impossible for you to go up a pants size, because you lost size, right?

Unless it's a different brand of pants, or a different cut of pants, or the material has less stretch or give or any of 100 very reasonable things that drive many of us crazy about the fashion industry. . .
  • bagge72
    Options

Unless it's a different brand of pants, or a different cut of pants, or the material has less stretch or give or any of 100 very reasonable things that drive many of us crazy about the fashion industry. . .

Well yeah, I just assumed if somebody was using that as a unit of measure they would use the same exact brand and style. I know I'm a 38 in dockers, and a 36 in Levi's jeans so I wouldn't compare those to each other to see if I gained or lost size. I guess I also shouldn't assume with all the different things I have seen on here over the years haha.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    I don't even know what's happening here.
  • DancingJester
    DancingJester Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    If you tone muscle then it will just pull in fat, but if you do squats ext it will gain a bit of size. I ride horses as my job so have quite a bit of muscle, I used to think ot was fat but it still didn't really bother me. Then I had major surgery on my knee and had massive muscle wastage on one leg. And it was SO SKINNY I was so surprised, i didn't think my legs could be so skinny! So yes muscle does takes up a lot of room, but I don't know if its necessarily more than fat, it just ads on size to the fat. I have gained about half the £muscle back now but one leg is still thinner than the other. However I'm having surgery on the other leg soon so the will match after that haha.

EDIT: just so you know I got this much muscle through 12 years of working my legs and 4 years of riding between 3 to 8 times a week, so you wouldn't have gained that much muscle just through work outs. Have you actually measured yourself, its probably just a different brand.
  • tquill
    tquill Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    wat
  • cowgirlqueen
    cowgirlqueen Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    :laugh: haha... no im talking about putting on the same exact pair of jeans I wore a month ago and they don't fit and yes I went down an inch and a half but im the unlucky type of female that gains muscle quickly I believe the correct term is "mesomorph" body type while going down an inch in a half off my booty I gained almost an inch and a half in my thighs sorry I should of been more specific my booty is perky :blushing: so I should be asking how to not gain muscle in my thighs sorry
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    :laugh: haha... no im talking about putting on the same exact pair of jeans I wore a month ago and they don't fit and yes I went down an inch and a half but im the unlucky type of female that gains muscle quickly I believe the correct term is "mesomorph" body type while going down an inch in a half off my booty I gained almost an inch and a half in my thighs sorry I should of been more specific my booty is perky :blushing: so I should be asking how to not gain muscle in my thighs sorry

There's so much no in this sentence.

If you are in a deficit, you're not gaining muscle. You most certainly are not gaining enough to suddenly have 1.5 inches added to your thighs.

Best bet? You dried your jeans too long and they shrank.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

you are not gaining muscle eating at a deficet....

you do that by lifting heavy and eating at a surplus...

Maybe the jeans got shrunk..or you are retaining water.
  • cowgirlqueen
    cowgirlqueen Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of cardio and hiit training .....cardio everyday for 45 mins and hiit 4 times a week for about 45 mins maybe im over doing it and its swelling in my thighs??? my thighs are rock hard though... so I really don't know
  • bagge72
    Options

So wouldn't the jeans still fit then, but just be tighter on your thighs? I'm missing something I think. If you are doing some heavy leg workouts, I would say it's just water weight, if you are just doing light weight lifting, and a lot of cardio I would say you jeans shrunk, and you just need to stretch them back out.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

So your butt shrank and your thighs grew?

I'm guessing swelling and water retention.
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Options

FYI the whole Mesomoph is totally debunked