Cold & Exercise Induced Asthma

Options
Anyone else here have cold/exercise induced asthma and have experience with running outside? I tried to do the first outdoor run of the year yesterday afternoon, with the temperature in the upper 40's. I used my inhaler before running (which I always do, regardless of the temperature), but I was still coughing/wheezing when I finished, and I could only run about half of what I had planned. Instead of doing a full 5k, I accomplished just over a mile and a half, but my lungs were burning by about halfway through that. It got to the point that my lungs/chest hurt when I tried to take a deep breath. When I got home, I completely collapsed and felt a little sick for a while, which is not really normal for me.

Basically, my question is: does anybody else who runs outside have the cold/exercise induced asthma, and what is the minimum temperature at which you can run comfortably? I want to keep running outside, but apparently I'll need to wait a while before trying to again, thanks to my poor lungs. :-(

Replies

• PinkCoconut
    PinkCoconut Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I don't but my best friend did (oddly enough, the more she worked out the better she got and now she doesn't have it at all!). You may want to expect a little less from yourself for the first little bit. Run even slower for less distance and/or do a walk/run for the full distance until you can build up your lung endurance.

My best friend, however, could still run in any temperature. Everyone is different so you may have to experiment! :)

Feel free to friend me and good luck!