From 1-10, how important are your measuring spoons & cups ?

Options
I love MFP and all the weight loss "gadgets" like my fitbit my Polar HRM, Aria Scale, etc. As I was contemplating which one of my gadgets was the most important in my weight loss journey, I would have to say my old-fashioned, low-tech measuring spoons, cups, and scales have been the most helpful. For me, portion size is the key to watching my weight while being able to enjoy a variety of foods. I'm just curious about what other MFP'ers think.

Replies

• sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Haven't used either since I bought a food scale.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    My food scale is way more important to me because I consume many more solid than liquid calories. I do use my measuring cups and spoons constantly as well, but the food scale is way better for me for accuracy. Nothing is perfect, but I certainly find that solid food measured instead of weighed can come out very wrong very easily.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

sort of this...I still use cups for my milk etc but my cups and spoons are not used half as much as my scale.
  • SummerRain43
    Options
    the food scale that weighs in ounces and grams....and zeros out.....is the best money I've spent.....it gives more accurate measurements than spoons and cups.....
  • tegalicious
    tegalicious Posts: 629
    Options
    Food scale for solids and measuring cups for liquids!
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    1. I have a food scale.
  • jlynnm70
    jlynnm70 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I'll agree - my scale, and measuring cups and spoons. My 18 y.o daughter put my scale away 2 nights ago after dinner - I searched everywhere for that sucker and was going nuts. Had to guestimate the stuff yesterday based on what I already eat frequently and log, and finally found it this morning. Mom was a happy camper again!

On a scale of 1-10 - I'll give them an 8 (my scale is a 10)
  • 1stday13
    1stday13 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Spoons, Cups and food scale! Couldn't live with out them. I cook a lot. I use them equally & every day. :drinker:
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options

This. Though they're still essential for barking (since most recipes still use volume measurements). And I measure liquids by volume as well.

Still, the food scale has really replaced measuring utensils relating to my nutrition/fitness tracking.
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options

sort of this...I still use cups for my milk etc but my cups and spoons are not used half as much as my scale.

Oops, got me there! I do measure liquids on rare occasions... It's not often I keep milk and creamer around, so I forgot about that stuff. :blushing:

(Edited for spelling.)
  • alyjb1121
    alyjb1121 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Not only my measuring spoons and cups but the ability to memorize portions of each and conversion! (Because i hardly eat a full serving based on what the labels consider servings!)
  • chasetwins
    chasetwins Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    My scale out weighs the importance of the others!! I use cups for liquids - ms spoon only to measure powdered creamer - other than that everything goes on the scale :)
  • ski0721
    ski0721 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Food scale - 10. Measuring spoons and cups - 8.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    Electronic scale is all that's needed, spoons and cups are retarded to measure with.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    0 - everything goes on the scale
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I use my scale for most things, but I'll still rate my measuring cups at a 7, because without them, I couldn't bake and have kitchen fun times. :)
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I don't own either. Solids measured in grams on a scale, liquids in a jug in mls. No voodoo here.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Spoons and cups? 0

Scale.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    2 - basically I just use the teaspoon measuring spoon to put baking powder in my baked goods or pancakes... that's it.