SODA KICKERS!

Options
How many people out there have kicked, or mostly kicked, the soda habit?!

I don't mean "O, now I drink diet instead" I mean, just really don't or hardly every drink it?!
How did you get there... what was your reason.... what do you drink instead?

Here's my story. I was a soda *kitten*... loved it, still do. But I was drinking maybe a 2 Liter a day. So I was like, I need to stop this. So I got me a SIgg (24 oz) and started drinking other things like home made tea, coffee. water, crystal light, lemon water, etc. Slowly, I found that by always having something else handy to drink I stopped drinking soda.

Don't get me wrong, I still have it once in a while but now it's more of a treat. I'll have it sometimes when we go out for dinner or as a mixer. I'll have a sip with some of my vitamins (but only because the taste is so bad) but in general, I don't consider it my go-to drink. In fact, the rare times I do buy soda for me, I only buy a gas station 20 oz bottle and it'll last me days now instead of just hours.

I'm really happy I did this. I don't know if it's helped me lose weight but I'm sure my health loves me for it. I know my teeth do lol and I do feel less bloated by laying off it. I don't know if I'll ever give it up 100% but I think this is working for me.

Replies

• jlynnm70
    jlynnm70 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Hi - I am a Dr. Pepper addict - i gave up most soda at the beginning of the year (can't tell you the exact date) And I don't drink diet - EVER! I was drinking probably a 6 pack or more a day - 2L was easy to go through.

Since that time I can count the sodas I have had - 2 Mexican cokes one week while getting my daughter's prom dress (had to get them at the Mexican restaurant because that is just a part of going to South 24th Street in my town). One 2L bottle of Dr. P over 2 days while suffering a migraine. And 2 6 oz. cups of Pepsi at the roller rink on 2 different weeks.

For me - that is AMAZING. I drink my 2 iced coffees in the morning - that is my caffeine - and I drink water almost all other times. Sometimes I add a little crystal light or mio so I can have Lemonade (add a little vodka for a cocktail instead of a rum and Dr. P) or a glass or two of wine. Water seems to be my go to now - and that is amazing.
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I gave it up for 40 days completely at the turn of the year!

Since Jan 2 ... I think I've had 4? Not too shabby when I think I used to have 1-2 a day!

I drank Diet Coke ... all the time. So the calories werent the issue, but I feel great without it every day. No more bloating, no more feeling slow and lethargic!

Keep it up! I feel great :)
  • seansocal
    seansocal Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I too used to consume at the least a 2 liter of soda a day. Normally I wouldn't drink anything but soda, and this became a habit of mine for about 10 years.
    I stopped buying soda and started buying Gatorade instead. After about a month I stopped buying Gatorade and started buying green tea instead. Now I drink mostly water with lemon (cant stand plain water) with the occasional green tea with my meals.
  • amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    It's good to know there are others like me out there. I was embarrassed by my 2-liter-of-diet-pepsi-a-day habit. Started on it when I was in my early 20s and took me 30 years (almost) to break it. My husband kept sending me emails with links to research that says diet pop is definitely not good for you. Plus the sugary taste can make you crave food.

About mid-summer last year, I started making sun tea every day so I had a full 1/2 gallon in the fridge each morning. Just that and some ice. No sugar or lemon. It was actually pretty good on a blazing hot day. I would alternate between that and diet pepsi for a good month. I also would drink ice water with some lemon in it to change the pace.

Then I found Vitamin Water (zero) and later Vita-Rain Zero at Costco. No fake sweeteners in them so I would have one of those a day in addtion to ice water or tea.

In the fall when it got chilly, I made cups of green tea and I love it because it really does make you feel full and warm. So by mid-fall, I stopped buying diet pop because I really didn't need it. Going cold turkey on soda/pop is very hard and I admire anyone who can do it. For me, it was a 60 day weaning process. I think my last diet pepsi was about a month ago and I don't really crave it...though I appreciate a nice cold one every now and then.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    What do you mix with alcohol if you dont use soda??
  • seansocal
    seansocal Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Shots shots shots shots everyyyboddddyyyyy
  • SB4Hope
    SB4Hope Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have looked for other things to drink too. Since my doctor said the sweeteners inhibit weight loss, I have been really noticing the ingredients in things. I also have rosacea which aspartame doesn't help. It is really hard to find things that I like since I realized Sparkling Ice also has the sweeteners in it. Now that summer is coming, water is easier to drink. I am not an iced tea fan so that is out. Any other ideas?
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options

I use club soda....with a lime/lime juice.

And yes .. shots.
  • Jlmervin03
    Jlmervin03 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    When I got pregnant with my second child, I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes. Instead of drinking diet soda, which is what did with my first pregnancy, I started drinking club soda with a lemon and a lime squeezed in it. I hated it at first, but now I love it. Taste like a sprite or sierra mist to me. I don't even drink sodas anymore. Club soda is definitely an acquired taste but somehow I can't get enough
  • Armyguy744
    Options
    I dropped soda for a year and dropped weight like crazy. But I have struggled since beggining of this year and started drinkg soda again, and quickly added lbs.... I am now 4 days with no soda or coffee, no more caffeine headache, thank goodness. I drink lots of water before, and now I am adding fruit to my pitcher, to add flavor. Feel free to add for support
  • mediamogulsteve
    mediamogulsteve Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I don't drink soda anymore. The occasional sip of someone else's always tastes weird to me now.

I drink mostly water. I drink the zero calorie offerings of SoBe and Vitamin Waters too. I love me some iced tea on occasion too.

I'm also down to 1 cup of coffee in the mornings for the most part. Occasionally, I'll have 2, but it's usually just 1.
  • Butrovich
    Butrovich Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Have not had a soda since Christmas and only decaf coffee since New Year's. Not much of a trick, really. I make all my own meals and take them to work with me. If I don't buy bottles of soda, I can't take them and thus don't drink them. If I do eat at a restaurant, I drink water or ice tea.

I have found that club soda does help with those carbonated drink cravings, but it helps to mix a little fruit juice for flavor.

Mike

PS. I bring a 64oz bottle of water to work to last the day.
  • Jlmervin03
    Jlmervin03 Posts: 152 Member
    Options

Club soda and a low calorie juice
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I have went from regular to diet then quit for a while, started again, quit, started. I am back in quit mode for several months now. If I could only sit and have 1 a day or even 2 I would. If I drink one Ill drink a 12 pack. I like it way too much. Pretty much water and tea either warm or cold.
  • Eastern_Echo23
    Eastern_Echo23 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    i've been trying to cut soda out of my life... been thinking about making the change the last few days and now i think i am inspired to try and make that next step. I drink plenty of coffee and i don't hate tea, just don't really like it when it's warm. Now with spring coming i feel that water will be easier to drink and I know i can avoid soda while shopping.... i think when i took 10 euro in soda bottles back to the store it opened my eyes.. i can save my health and my wallet by cutting it out of my life.
  • zeal26
    zeal26 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I am in the process of kicking a severe Diet Coke addiction. I've been addicted for years so I'm not trying to give it up over night. I have moved from 330ml cans to 150ml cans and my aim is to be down to one 150ml can a day in a week's time. I will get there. This is so much less than I was drinking for the past few years. And the incentive to quit completely is that the 150ml cans are way more expensive than regular sized ones!
  • jlynnm70
    jlynnm70 Posts: 460 Member
    Options

Crystal Light Lemonade and Vodka
    Booze + Soda (soda water has 0 cals - tonic has cals)
    Almost any booze on the rocks, or straight, or shots. I drink Tequilla straight.

Or get away from the mixed drinks and hard liquor all together - drink wine, light beer, etc.
  • MagJam2004
    MagJam2004 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I decided when I was going to get healthier that soda wasn't going to help me, so I kicked it completely. I missed it a bit as I drank it constantly, but I drank it out of convenience more than anything else. What else is there to drink at family gatherings, restaurants, after your kid's little league game, but soda. I now just drink almost exclusively water. I like to have a cup or two of coffee most days, will never enjoy tea, and have a strong distaste for crystal light and it's assorted horrible siblings. In the end, I have grown to like water. Not the taste, since it really has none (it seems my parents were right), but the refreshment that comes from it rather than the way copious amounts of Pepsi would make me feel. Like most things, people can probably treat it like anything else and work it into their plan, but for me it is easier to just abstain.
  • FitMomma86
    Options
    I gave soda up at the beginning of the year. I was drinking at least a 2-liter a day which is pretty embarrassing to admit, it was tough at first but I don't crave it anymore. For the most part I drink water/coffee/tea or Red Wine on occasion.
  • ElectricDame
    Options
    When I got pregnant with my second child, I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes. Instead of drinking diet soda, which is what did with my first pregnancy, I started drinking club soda with a lemon and a lime squeezed in it. I hated it at first, but now I love it. Taste like a sprite or sierra mist to me. I don't even drink sodas anymore. Club soda is definitely an acquired taste but somehow I can't get enough

I do the same thing! but I add a little spenlda. So good!