Tropical Smoothie Copycats

Options
I used to order from Tropical Smoothie everyday until I found out they are not too good for you. Last week I went to the Navy Exchange and found a really good deal on a Ninja blender. Now that its getting warmer I would like to start incorporating smoothies into my diet. Is anyone else a fan of Tropical Smoothie? Have you tried creating your own version of their smoothies? I would love to learn to make the Tropical Colada, Kiwi Quencher, Sunrise Sunset...Heck all of them!! Thanks in advance!!

Replies

• Jlmervin03
    Jlmervin03 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    bump...
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    How are these smoothies "not too good for you?"
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    It's generally a good idea to not consume your calories in liquid form, unless you are supplementing an already complete and healthy diet.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Well, I have never heard of "Tropical Smoothie," is that a chain? Lots of those chain smoothie places are basically just using flavored syrups, although some use fresh fruit.

If you like smoothies and can fit them in your calorie goals, there are easy ways to make them in the blender. PP is correct about being careful with drinking your calories, many people have better success drinking only water and eating their calories, but I don't know if you are even trying to lose weight! (Certainly not everyone here is, some are even working on gaining.)

Buy frozen fruit and berries and put them in the blender along with either ice cubes or greek yogurt. I like to do Kale, Mint, and Cucumber in mine with the yogurt, as I'm not a fan of sweet drinks in the first place. I also sometimes add PB2 to frozen strawberries and yogurt.

If you are watching your calories, be sure to log everything. Depending on what fruits (beware the banana!) and veg you add to your smoothie, sometimes it can really add up.
  • JasmineSchmidts
    JasmineSchmidts Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Here's one copycat recipe on youtube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1HbPEexg8c

This Pinterest page also has a bunch of copycat recipes - https://www.pinterest.com/vafancy31/tropical-smoothie-cafe/

If there one's you like that you can't find a recipe for, I would suggest looking on the website at the fruit/yogurt/juice that is in each smoothie, then finding those ingredients at a grocery (healthier versions if necessary), and then experimenting with portions until you make it perfect. You could even look at other smoothie recipes and sub various fruits/etc. as a sort of basic format. Enjoy and good luck! :)
  • 9Rounder
    9Rounder Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I make a smoothie most mornings and drink it on my way to work. I use 65g of spinach, 125g of frozen triple berry mix (blackberries, blueberries, raspberries), 10g chia seeds, 75g Fage Greek yogurt and a couple packets of splenda to sweeten. I add water to thin it out and blend in my NutriBullet. Delicious and filling and I like starting my day with a few servings of fruits and vegetables.
  • druidia
    druidia Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have a good friend who owns a TS franchise that I frequent for their newer kale smoothies. You can get any of their fruit smoothies without the turbinado sugar and either sub with Splenda or no added sugar. Most of their smoothies use fresh fruits but there are fruits that come to them pureed (I believe kiwi is one) and they pump them into the blender to add them if that's one of your ingredients - I am not certain if those are no added sugar.

As far as healthy smoothies go, if you're eating a high sugar fruit blend (pineapple, bananas, mango), then yes they are less healthy just because of the amount of fruit sugar alone.
  • Sarahliquid
    Sarahliquid Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    You might enjoy experimenting with different frozen fruits, juices, yogurt, with or without banana, pb2, etc. I wouldn't order a smoothie anywhere because I like homemade ones so much better.
  • goldeneye77
    goldeneye77 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Here's my simple smoothie recipe, made in my Nutribullet:

Bananas - Raw, 1 medium (frozen)
    Lucerne - Unsweetened Original Almond Milk, 1.5 cup
    Tangello - Medium, 2 1/2 " diameter
    Trader Joe's - Pineapple Tidbits (Frozen), 0.3 Cup
    Trader Joe's - Organic Tuscan Kale, 2.5 oz(s)

For variety:
    * For Pineapple, try Organic Strawberries, blueberries
    * AlmondMilk comes in Honey and in Cashew Flavor
    * Add a few slices of raw organic beets